Idaho OTC Elk/Deer Help Needed

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
Well I was unsuccessful in the NM draw so I'm looking for out of state OTC opportunities for Elk and Deer. I hear Idaho is a great one for that but I'm having a hard time finding any information on the Idaho G&F website about when and how you get those OTC tags. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Sheets: get on the website, click on Licenses, non resident licenses and tags, it will open up all the $ amounts for all you need. Then call 1-800-554-8685 to make your purchases. Do your homework and find a zone worth hunting. The winters have taken there toll on deer in some areas.

Good luck,

))))------->

If you are sure you are going to hunt Idaho, you should buy your license and put in for the draw. Then if, when you don't draw you can pick up the OTC tags. Just 2 cents.

DZ

When's the deadline?

>If you are sure you are
>going to hunt Idaho, you
>should buy your license and
>put in for the draw.
> Then if, when you
>don't draw you can pick
>up the OTC tags.
>Just 2 cents.
>
>DZ

Idahos OTC units can be just as good as the controlled units. It may take several years or more to learn were the best hunting is but it could be well worth the effort.

>Are "zone Elk A & B"
>the OTC areas?

Yes
A few zones have quotas that are first come but most are unlimited.
There is a lot of private ground in Idaho that can make it difficult to access the public land. Be careful.

>There is a lot of private
>ground in Idaho that can
>make it difficult to access
>the public land. Be careful.
>

I'm scratching my head a little bit at this statement. Have you set foot outside of Idaho?

>
>>There is a lot of private
>>ground in Idaho that can
>>make it difficult to access
>>the public land. Be careful.
>>
>
>I'm scratching my head a little
>bit at this statement. Have
>you set foot outside of
>Idaho?
I hear what your saying.
There are private land issues in every state.
I,m from the southeast area of Idaho and was giving the OP a clue as to where some of the best hunting can be found.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm still looking into it but it's tough knowing I can only hunt really late in the season.

Well it looks like there's a chance that I'll be coming home early from my deployment. That means I'll be able to hunt in September too. Any advice you guys have on the draw or OTC please let me know. I'm starting to research my options for Sep now in Idaho. Also, are there any combo deer/elk licenses early in the season? Thanks guys.

OTC opportunities in sept are mostly limited to archery but in a lot if units you can bow hunt elk and deer at the same time. Think there are some units in the frank church and selway wildernesses that are open in sept for deer and elk any weapon hunts also. Otherwise there are a few units that you could hunt both in October at the same time. Hope this info helps

One question I saw that noone answered. The big game draw starts May 1 and goes to June 5. It is that way so you can see if you draw another state before putting in for Idaho.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Yeah I noticed this last night! I'm really excited that if I decide to go with OTC in general, I can have the chance to hunt both at the same time. That is so much better than seeing a monster Mulie while hunting elk and having to let him go. This happened to me last Dec in NM. Stalked to bow range on a 170+ Mulie for fun and practice knowing I couldn't shoot him. It was awesome and frustrating all at the same time.

>OTC opportunities in sept are mostly
>limited to archery but in
>a lot if units you
>can bow hunt elk and
>deer at the same time.
>Think there are some units
>in the frank church and
>selway wildernesses that are open
>in sept for deer and
>elk any weapon hunts also.
>Otherwise there are a few
>units that you could hunt
>both in October at the
>same time. Hope this info
>helps

I noticed this...glad that's the case. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have a chance at a Bull this year.

Also if you do bow hunt and don't connect you can come back for rifle season on deer and in some cases elk if you have the time and money to make 2 trips.

Ltsheets, I read your post and thought I would reply. I usually hunt New Mexico because I have better luck drawing tags in your state (Drew my 5th tag in 7 years this year). I have been treated very good there by the residents and had great hunts every time. I would put in for the draw for sure, and if you don't draw the otc hunts can still be very good hunts. If you want to give me P.M. letting me know some details of what you are looking for and I will give you my 2 cents.

>Ltsheets, I read your post and
>thought I would reply. I
>usually hunt New Mexico because
>I have better luck drawing
>tags in your state (Drew
>my 5th tag in 7
>years this year). I have
>been treated very good there
>by the residents and had
>great hunts every time. I
>would put in for the
>draw for sure, and if
>you don't draw the otc
>hunts can still be very
>good hunts. If you want
>to give me P.M. letting
>me know some details of
>what you are looking for
>and I will give
>you my 2 cents.

PM headed your way...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom