Idaho NR mnt goat odds

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I have had several people ask me about Idaho mnt goat, and I have had many argue with me about odds so I figured I would post this info.

Not by unit, total NR apps in 2007 for mnt goat were 169, total tags NR MIGHT draw is 4 overall that makes odds 2% for NR.

Individual units might vary, but as a NR if the unit or region quota has been met you can not get a tag.

Don,
Thanks for posting that....I was considering applying for goat. I knew that it is a 10% max to non's but I wasn't sure what that would translate to.
I'm out.....and with the economy maybe others will also. Maybe the odds will go up to 4% this year.

Yep, Don is right. About 15 years ago, Idaho had decent draw odds. Not anymore. Non-ressys can only draw up to (but are not guaranteed) 10% of the quota. This translates into very poor odds for sheep and goats.

Idaho should send a bonus check to the people who run tag application services for perpetuating the "myth of good odds in Idaho".

Good insight. Sometimes boiling things down to their most simple form makes the most sense. I've pretty much punted on Mtn Goat in the lower 48 a few years ago. As a flatlander I'd go guided anyway so you might as well go to BC.

>As a
>flatlander I'd go guided anyway
>so you might as well
>go to BC.

I'd choose SE Alaska over BC if you're looking for BIG. Two completely different type of hunts, though. If you want to do the horseback thing, then BC is your hunt. If you don't mind hunting in the rain forest, go to SE Alaska.

An Alaska goat:

goat_22.jpg

Colorado: They offer an actual quota on non-ressy goat tags, the draw only costs you $3 a year (versus the $141.50 for Idaho), and you can build points.

The downside: you aren't even in the game until your 4th year of applying (3 pref. points are required).

If a person really wants to hunts goats I would skip the non-ressy draws, and do what Colorado Oak did. Save the money and go hunt them in Alaska or BC.

That is one AWESOME GOAT! Thanks for sharing that.

You do realize though, BC does have those big rainforest goats as well. ;)

I don't think there is a really good way to determine the odds in ID. The 2-4% odds are a good guideline although I think they are better depending on the unit. The reason I say that is because each individual unit can have up to 1 NR tag--until 4 NR tags are drawn in the total drawing. Once a NR draws a unit tag all the other NR who put in for that unit are out.

Oak, That's the first time I've seen your AK goat. Wow! what a monster. Mass! Mass! You made the most out of that hunt......I also bet you don't regret turning your Colorado goat tag back in. Great job!

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Bob Milligan at Coast Mountain Outfitters in Prince Rupert has consistently killed 10" plus goat in the coast mountains along with a world record 2 years ago. This is mostly coastal hunting.

>MONTANA ODDS IN UNIT 323, 329
>ARE UPWARDS OF 10%

Max points for a NR last year were only 4% in 323.

Resident odds are better.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom