Idaho Moose - Unit 17-5 in the Selway

I

Idahotrophyhunter

Hello all,

I drew this tag this year and curious if anyone out there had some suggestions were to start. Only thing I have heard was to try the White Cap lakes, however they are 16 miles from the end of the road....Anything would help.

Focus on Lakes and rivers as that's where the cows will be and the bulls will be near the cows. Hire a packer to get it out quick as it's warm in there that time of year. Hunt the first two weeks of October or the last week of Sept. so you aren't hunting when other rifle hunters are. Take any moose with double brow tines or a wide spread. Good luck.

Thanks for the info...I plan on checking out the Lakes to the north of Mount Poloma this weekend. Going to backpack in the 9.5 miles, but will have horses during the season. What would you classify as a good bull up there in inches? I would really like at least a 40 " and have the flexibility to hunt for 2-3 weeks if needed. What is a realistic goal?

PS...Last animal needed for my Idaho Slam...and it's going to be the toughest!!!!

Warning about horses and moose... horses hate moose! Tie your horses up really, really, well!!!!!!!! You don't want to walk out or drag out that moose!

You might want to shoot anything legal, if you check the harvest report for 2007, there was 0 Moose killed in all of Unit 17. Another reason why Wolves should be exterminated!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom