Idaho Late Buck

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-10 AT 04:38PM (MST)[p]I received news I had won the tag and could hardly believe it as most people go 20 years and I did it the first time ever.
After cancer surgery Ineeded it took the energy out of me and I got some other health problems so hunting was difficult to say the least.
I scouted several areas and spent 10 days of not seeing good buck and so never found a really big one.
The last trip Nov 19-20th I found many bucks in the rut moving but no big ones again.
In the late part of the day I finally found quite a few deer bunched up in a one mile radius. Another hunter had friends helping him and they got a 4 point about 3:30.I was afraid there might not be another big one left in that spot.
The snow began to fall so hard I was unable to see them for a little while. Then as the snow died down some I saw a good buck go over into small canyon not to far away. I stalked up the ridge above then belly crawled at the top to see him but there were only does in sight. 5 minutes later he drifted into view and (250 yards out) and I let him have it with the 7 MM magnum.
He is a full 30 1/2 inch wide 5 x 5 if you count the 4 inch eye guards. He also has a small second set of eye guards.
It is a very blessed year for me.
1214059.jpg

Good job! I know well the challenge of the hunt with health problems. Great buck as well!

Has anyone seen my kittie?

8020scott_ralphie.jpg

Very nice buck. I was suppose to have back surgery just before deer season but I told my doctor I wanted to get a nice buck and therefore we would put off the surgery. Well I paid dearly for putting it off and never even seen a deer. I hunted as hard as my back would let me and generally could only hunt 1 day a week and had to take it easy for the rest of the week. Am hoping come next year after my back heals that I will be in better shape and be able to bag a buck like yours. Good job and thank you for sharing the picture and story.
Chuck

great job! and great buck! i think we all could learn something from your experience. way to stick with it and good luck to you sir i hope everything goes as well as your hunt! god bless!

Thanks for the compliment. If you noticed my poor grammar in my post it's because of all the adrenaline from shooting my first big buck and lack of sleep. Also, I was exhausted but my parents wanted an email and pic so I posted the nite after getting home with my deer.
The taxidermist came over and skinned the cape off then I used my ATV to hoist the deer up in the garage.
I am blessed my health is a little better and my cancer is gone. But this buck will be forever a great memory.
Get better and email me if ya need a partner next year. I live in Idaho falls.

Thanks you

I am working out and losing weight. I feel better than I did a month ago. Thanks for the compliment. This deer is going to be cherished on my wall...

It can be tough. Some Units can't grow 30 inch bucks. They are smart, and weather and time of day count alot. Also I had to push my out of shape body harder than I wanted. I tend to think it just takes lots of preparation and care in the field.
No secrets really, just finding a good area and keep moving until you find the deer. Glassing is most important too, so use good optics and glass every spot well.

That is a really nice buck Congrats Heck of a hat rack as my grandpa called them :) Hope health is well for you Hope to see a post of the mount when its done That swollen neck double white throat patch cape is worth some coin

Thanks,
he had one split ear drom fighting maybe. I heard lots of the bucks there had a split ear. My health is getting better. Just passed some tests with a clean slate.
I will post the mount. I was told 8 months to get it back. That's a long time for me... :0
9352592926590_2110491836_0.jpg

Nice deer. Congrats. If your gonna draw a hunt like that, you gotta do it first time you apply.

awesome buck, Glad your health is getting better. I hope you was able to have him mounted.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Thanks Gator. He is getting mounted. It will be this summer when I get him back. I hope to be in shape for a tough hunt this year. I'm already planning. Hope your New year will be good also.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom