Idaho Fish and Game Unsold Tags

Daxter

Very Active Member
I know there was a post earlier about how Idaho tags just aren't selling this year. I figured just on the unsold non-resident mule deer tags and licenses they are out about $2,000,000 compared to previous years when all the tags were sold out by now. That doesn't count unsold whitetail or elk tags. I really like hunting Idaho, but until they lower their price about $100, or increase quality, or give me a bonus point when I am unsuccessful in the draw, I probably won't be back. "Good riddance" some of the Idaho guys will say, but we'll see how happy you are to have all the non-residents gone when the Fish and Game start raising fees on Residents to make up for their budget shortfall. A couple years ago when IDFG did a survey about raising fees I submitted a comment telling them that if they keep raising fees without offering an increase in quality they will eventually start to loose customers. Looks like they finally hit that point.

Dax

This resident isn't worried about them raising our rates. The quality is getting bad enough with the big game herds thanks to wolves and poor management, I'll probably start applying to other states. If the IDFG has a budget short fall, my guess the legislature will simply tell them to start cutting back. Fifty years ago we got along fine with a department that was about one third the size it is today. Everyone else is having to cut back, it maybe their turn now.

It makes me sick how Idaho is managing game.

Just take a look at some units and see how much pressure Deer and Elk have. Hunts overlap, Late Hunts all over, Doe Tags, High fees....it is bad.

Quality always sells, whether it be ice cream cones, tires, or wildlife. You can always sell a certain amount of crap, but not on a sustained basis. The sooner states realize this the sooner they will be in the black. Idaho is strapped with wolves, and that's not their fault, and I feel bad for them. But not so bad that I will throw money away, especially in this economy. Real, hardcore hunters will shop around, find the best bang for their buck, and put their efforts there. And right now, it ain't Idaho.

Idaho has always had the potential to one of the top states, so it's really sad to see. I have several friends who have been burned so bad that Idaho will never be on their list again. Especially since wolves are only going to increase.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-09 AT 05:58PM (MST)[p] I WAS ALSO SURPRISED TO SEE THE LARGE NUMBER OF IDAHO RESIDENTS SAYING HOW THEY NOW HUNT OUT OF STATE THEMSELVES.

ON A EARLIER NOTE I ALWAYS HATED HOW I COULD PUT IN FOR A IDAHO CONTROLLED HUNT, NOT GET DRAWN, THEY KEEP MY $$$, SAY- NOW JUST APPLY FOR A REGULAR HUNT (I DID NOT WANT TO GO ON)....AND NOT GET A POINT....BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO POINT SYSTEM IN PLACE....STINKS....IDAHO HAS BIG PROBLEMS.......YD.

I just have to throw in my 2 cents worth. I lived and hunted in Idaho for 17 years, then two years ago moved back to Utah. What a surprise, I will pay the non resident price to hunt Idaho anytime. I hunted everyday of last years rifle season in Utah and seen a few does and 1 small spike buck. I put a lot of time into hunting and hiking, and that is a waste in Utah, there is a road EVERYWHERE you hike. Utah don't care where motorized vehicles go which don't give game much of a chance. I hunted the archery elk season here since I have been back and the elk hunting is a little better, but not much. I have to say that I haven't hunted any other states, but I sure haven't been pleased with Utah. and as for the point system, I believe that is also a joke. I actually like the way Idaho does there draw without it. I know everyone likes different things, but thats my opinion.

I hope the other Western states are paying attention. I don't believe the wildlife agencies believed it is possible to out price the market on tags. Hopefully the Western states will realize that non-residents aren't an endless stream of revenue that can be tapped at anytime.

haha, ATV problems in Idaho are just as bad as Utah. If the area you hunted didnt produce, did you think of trying somewhere else? in the wilderness possibly, where there are no ATV's to blame?

Where I hunt in Idaho no motorized vehicles are allowed. I hunted a lot of different areas last year that I had known growing up, and yes this year I will be trying some other areas that I hope are less roaded. I am sure I will eventually find the right spot, it just might take a few years. I really hate hunting pines, so a lot of the wilderness areas I avoid, but I may have to give in and try a few of them. I am not against using atv's, if used correctly, although I will never use one for hunting. I was just way surprised at how the areas I used to hunt had changed

IDhunter, I feel the exact opposite of the way you do. I moved to Idaho from Utah 4 years ago and think the deer hunting here in Idaho is horrible in comparison. I enjoy hunting Utah so much more that I even joined the dedicated hunter program as a nonresident. In Idaho I buy the sportsmans package and will hunt every species this year but deer.

In comparing with other western states, in my opinion, on mule deer hunting. Idaho would be dead last. It still has it hidden secrets, but overall it would be dead last in quality!

4 million lost in license, deer, elk tags so far. better sell more wolf tags or department better figure out how to manage money really quick like. Its a shame but we the sportsman will be the one to lose.

ridgeline outdoors prostaff
blacks creek guide gear prostaff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom