idaho 36-1 mt goat

T

THRILL

I have never hunted mt goat and would be appreciative of any info about goats, hunting tactics, or info about the sawtooth wilderness area( where should I even start, its amazing )

Two things make it tough:

The terrain. If you are the least bit afraid of heights be careful where you go. You can often climb up into an area that is nearly impossible to climb down from, especially with a goat. Needless to say, you better be in great shape.

Judging trophies. Read everything you can and study pictures until you are sick of looking at them. You will eventually be able to tell nannies from young billies, and young billies from trophies.

I took mine in 1994 and it was a DIY experience I will never forget. Good luck and be careful.

my area is 36-1 in the wilderness area behind red fish lake, between stanley , alturas lake and towards atlanta. I have heard they are smart when you are below them and not so much when you are above them.

I basically am wondering if I can hike in from a camper each, day, or if I need to spike out maybe with rented llamas,

I do have horses, fat horses,, I was thinking about trying for a week a foot first, and see if the terrain is horse friendly, or not. the hunt is basically now till the middle of november,, with bear and wolf opening up right away, so any buddies who want to come can hunt also. deer and elk open in oct. but I hope to be done before genenal season hunting pressure and any weather

do goats usually stay to a particular area, and how many may i expect to see.. if you have any other thoughts.. 208 850 6144

thanks for your imput...

will

Good luck but I would have had all of this worked out months ago if I had the tag. Do a search on this forum and you can find some stories from 36-1.

The hair typically does not get good on them until the first of October. With that said it seems like every area is a little different. Scout in September. Have a great time I think it is one of the greatest hunts you can go on. Maybe some day I will draw a permit. I think somone on this forum killed one just east of Atlanta last year check the Archives. It looked like a real cool hunt.

Take the horse, ride the trails. Glass and use spotting scope to judge good billies. It's not that hard of a hunt. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom