ID AS a last resort?

elks96

Long Time Member
Just curious. This year I have been kicking around applying for deer and elk tags in ID. I however realized that since the application period is so late I can check my other draws first and use ID as a last resort. mainly looking at deer. So since I did not draw looks like I will be ID limited unit first choice and then picking up a 39 late season tag for the week of thanksgiving!!!

Who else does this?

Thats a good way to play it. 39 is a huge unit and can be a fun hunt. There can be a lot of people in some areas but you can always get away from most if your willing to work at it. Good luck.

I am a resident of Idaho and I use it as my last resort. If I didn't live here and if it wasn't so cheap, I wouldn't hunt here so much. There are just too many hunters for so few of deer. I usually just hunt for meat when I elk hunt. I guess it is a good place to hunt if you are not looking for a trophy.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

LMAO at you clowns. GET ******* LOST. mickeymouse suits you chump.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

>I am a resident of Idaho
>and I use it as
>my last resort. If I
>didn't live here and if
>it wasn't so cheap, I
>wouldn't hunt here so much.
>There are just too many
>hunters for so few of
>deer.

Scout more and find better spots, I think you'd be surprised. There's also not too many other states where you have the chance to shoot a 6 point every year with a rifle during the rut. Look at the Elk 101 dudes, they do it every year, with bows. They don't complain about Idaho... And I'm sure they are much more accomplished as hunters than you...

I have waisted many seasons thinking that I could scout out a big buck. Every third year I would find one, but either myself or another hunter would screw it up. I would only have one chance at it, then the buck would be gone. As for elk, it is fun bow hunting them during the rut and I would see some big bulls. But being overrun by people sure makes it depressing. I always get one when I go after them with a rifle, little ones. I think Idaho is a great place, but I don't think everyone should think that they have to hunt every year. What upsets me the most is an overweight/boarder line obese douche, thinking he has to harvest an animal every year to provide for his family. When clearly they could go a few seasons without.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

>
>>Who else does this?
>
>Probably a bunch of nonresidents, i.e.
>people who don't visit the
>Idaho forum regularly. Just guessing.
>
LoL

Man that post was awful. You shoot small elk, but fat dudes should only harvest tasty deer every few years! Classy guy you are.

Ya, I wouldn't say that I am a very articulate person. Especially when I express my opinion. What I have written sounds right to me, I just don't know what your problem is. Kind of like those people that voted for Obama. Sometimes when it is plain and simple to me, just isn't for them. I do not harvest an elk every year and I cannot remember the last time I harvested a deer. I harvest them when I need them, even if I go to another state and have to eat my tag because I didn't find the biggest trophy. I am still waiting for a chance to draw Utah before I put in for Idaho even though I am sure I will not.

I think a lot of outa staters do this for the reason you mentioned of being able to check other draw results first. Idaho is an opportunity state, you have the opportunity to harvest a forkie or a trophy, just depends on what you put into it and maybe a little luck. You will have a great time on that late 39 archery hunt, if you put in the effort and get up on top of a ridge.

I have lived in Idaho for a couple of years now and there are many things I love about the state. I love the diversity of the country, high country to the desert, I love that there is no bonus point system, I love that If you know your general area well, and can put some time in during the summer to scout you at least have small chance at getting a mature buck. I also love the late bow hunts as well. But I think that everyone would agree that Idaho has some downfalls as well. I hate that you can use a motorbike on hiking trails in most areas, I hate that there are 2 point general seasons in draw units, and our buck to doe ration is really suffering because of that. But all in all Idaho is still a great place to hunt every year. Just my thoughts.

MM I think you hurt my feelings. If we don't harvest elk each year we are forced to be vegetarians. Luckily we have harvested one to three each of the last 17 years. And yes I'm over weight and maybe borderline obese. But I do usually find myself 2 to 6 miles off of the road when it gets light, not bad for a fat guy, oh ya and old. Two years ago my GPS showed that my fat butt had hiked 129 miles in 8 days, and the scales said I lost 30 lbs. But being a grandpa is great.

DZ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom