ID 2004 Elk Hunt Advice

• Thread starter smilewidedoc (Guest)
  • Start date
S

smilewidedoc (Guest)

Planning a trip to ID for Elk next year. I have never hunted ID. Does someone have advice on which units might be most productive?
TIA, rlj

I have lived and hunted in Idaho almost my whole life. If you want to talk about either deer or elk hunting, contact me. You can call me at home at (208) 233-4150 or e mail me personally at [email protected].

I can tell you where to go, depending on the time of year and type of weapon you want to use. I may even "point the way" if our choice of seasons happen to correspond. (My choice of season would be about 9 months out of the year, but somehow the regulations don't allow that.)

We've got lots of famous wilderness areas that have over-the-counter guaranteed tags. However, they are also extremely physically difficult to hunt; big mountains and lots of miles without roads. Those areas now have lots of wolves and way fewer elk/deer than before the "reintroduction". Some of the areas that are closer to town actually have pretty good elk hunting. The catch with the units that are more easily accessible is that those tags are on a draw basis.

The draw deadline is not until May, so you have time to think about it, but to a great degree it depends on how much of a "wilderness adventure" you are seeking. Are you after a once-in-a-lifetime trophy, simply an elk, or......well that's what you need to decide.

Grant

smilewidedoc,

The best unit for one guy might be the worst unit for another guy. How much experience do you have? Just like Grant said some of the units can be extremely physically. How far are you willing to pack an elk out? What weapon (bow,rifle,muzzleloader) did you want to hunt with? Did you only want to hunt when the elk are bugling or did you want to hunt in snow? Did you want to hire a guide? Would you be happy with a cow or did you want a big bull only?
Some of the over the counter tags for non-residents sell out well before the season opens so don't wait until the last minute when buying tags that have a Quota. I would recommend putting in for a quality controlled hunt in May, you never know you might get lucky.

Here's a link to the controlled hunt draw odds and harvest info.
http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/hunt/ch/chdirect.htm
The best controlled hunts are always the hardest to draw.

Here's a link to the general season harvest info and 2003 regs.
The big game regs for 2004 will be out in April.
http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/common/regulations/bg/bigame.htm
http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/hunt/programsinfo/genharv.htm

If you have any specific questions about units in the eastern half of the state let me know.

Brian, if you are giving advice about eastern Idaho, we must almost be neighbors. I'm in Pocatello. How about you?

Merry Christmas to everyone.

I too , am interested in hunting Idaho . Currently I am in Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom but we think we should be home sometime in March .I live in the Salt lake valley , West jordan . Just a couple hours south of you . My e-mail address here is [email protected] . If you fellers don't mind feeding me some info , I would like to study up on the regs and such for the correct way to go about harvesting the elusive Wapiti.
keep your powder dry
boyd

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom