I went swimming in the bay

eelgrass

Long Time Member
There is a boat ramp near the entrance to the bay and I launched there yesterday morning. It's not bad at all with a calm ocean, but everybody avoids it when the ocean is rough. Yesterday was marginal and I was the only one there all day.

I came in about 11:00 am after the tide changed and was running out. I timed the swells just right, hopped out and pulled the kayak up to dry land. I walked up and got my truck and was backing down the ramp looking in my rearview mirror. A sneaker wave rolled in and floated my kayak and then sucked it back out into the bay. I slammed the truck in park, jumped out and ran down there but I was too late. It was headed out to the ocean. It had my vhf radio, my gps, my phone, and my wallet, plus all my fishing gear. And my life jacket, of course.

I thought about it for about 5 seconds and jumped in after it. I caught up with it, climbed back on and made it back to shore. Dang, that water is cold!

From now on when I beach the kayak I'm throwing the anchor out.

You're Either The Toughest Ole Boy I Know!

Or the ........................................!:D

Glad You Made it Back outa there Eel!

You End up Losing Anything?

And Did Ms Eel Believe the Story?

While kayaking last month at Havasu, the wife got tired and went in. An hour later I paddled in, and found a paddle floating out in the lake. Hmmmmm, looks just like ours! When i beached and drug mine up on the sand, SOMEONE came down and confessed to losing hers!! :)

You're Either The Toughest Ole Boy I Know!

Or the ........................................!:D

Glad You Made it Back outa there Eel!

You End up Losing Anything?

And Did Ms Eel Believe the Story?
I lost nothing. It was all leashed down thank goodness.

My wife said something, but I didn't quite hear what she said. :unsure: I could tell by the look on her face she wasn't too happy.

She Probably Ain't Going out with You in the Kayak,Right?

My wife said something, but I didn't quite hear what she said. :unsure: I could tell by the look on her face she wasn't too happy.

I did the same thing with my boat about 10 years ago but the water was warm and it was a calm lake. I didn't secure it well and a light breeze pushed the boat out into the lake while I was parking my truck.

Why did you tell her in the first place?

Next time, do like this guy....

No, I had a pair of wetsuit booties on, rain pants, and a dry top.

The tide was running out at about 2mph. Time was of the essence. I figured if I could just get to the kayak and my radio I could call the Coast Guard if it turned for the worse. Their station is right there.
So did you fish??

So did you fish??
:cry: That was my 5th trip in the kayak for halibut this year and I have yet to catch one. Nobody else has been catching either. They're not in yet, I guess.

I made one trip last week with a friend in his aluminum boat. The friend who gave me the smoked eel. He used eel heads for bait and caught 3 Leopard sharks. The biggest was a 6 footer. All 3 released at the boat. The only thing worse than not catching a halibut is catching 3 Leopard sharks. They get all wrapped up in your line and generally cause a lot of havoc.

:cry: That was my 5th trip in the kayak for halibut this year and I have yet to catch one. Nobody else has been catching either. They're not in yet, I guess.

I made one trip last week with a friend in his aluminum boat. The friend who gave me the smoked eel. He used eel heads for bait and caught 3 Leopard sharks. The biggest was a 6 footer. All 3 released at the boat. The only thing worse than not catching a halibut is catching 3 Leopard sharks. They get all wrapped up in your line and generally cause a lot of havoc.
Man, that's a lot of time spent for no reward. :rolleyes:

So if you hook one of those door-size halibut, how do you land it & where do you put it in a kayak??? Or...are the halibut there a lot smaller than those way up north?

Ironically with all the fishing I'm done during my lifetime, I've never hooked a halibut, probably because I never actually fished for them. :ROFLMAO: I have caught quite a few of their cousins, tho -- flounders in the LI Sound when I was a teen. I doubt any were bigger than 5-6 pounds, however.

So if you hook one of those door-size halibut, how do you land it & where do you put it in a kayak??? Or...are the halibut there a lot smaller than those way up north?

Ironically with all the fishing I'm done during my lifetime, I've never hooked a halibut, probably because I never actually fished for them. :ROFLMAO: I have caught quite a few of their cousins, tho -- flounders in the LI Sound when I was a teen. I doubt any were bigger than 5-6 pounds, however.
These are California Halibut as opposed to Pacific Halibut. A bigger one here is about 30 pounds but they get up to around 50 pounds. A limit from last year.
GOPR0163.JPG

These are California Halibut as opposed to Pacific Halibut. A bigger one here is about 30 pounds but they get up to around 50 pounds. A limit from last year.View attachment 42203

A 50-lb one is still a big handful for a kayak, no?

I have a buddy that used to live in Utah but is now in FL. He has one of those kayaks you peddle and regularly goes way out in the ocean with it. He posts photos & videos on Facebook of him battling & landing huge sailfish. I'd be afraid one of them would do a Steve Irwin on me. :ROFLMAO:

These are a couple photos Troy posted of his buddies with sailfish....

troysword.jpg

troysword2.jpg

Door size…as in doggy door ?

These are California Halibut as opposed to Pacific Halibut. A bigger one here is about 30 pounds but they get up to around 50 pounds. A limit from last year.
Although I enjoy all shellfish, I'm not real big on regular fish though I eat it when it's served. We sometimes make fish & chips using cod, and I do like norhern pike when cooked properly

About 25 years ago, I was staying in condo at a resort right on the shore of the Kenai River. The gal that owned it invited me to dinner one night. She made halibut that had been baked with corn flakes under it and other stuff. Her dish was quite tasty. It was the last & onlty time I've had it, however. :rolleyes:

I use a small skiff to get around in the river swamps down here.
When I park it to hunt I'm always paranoid about it not being
there when I get back. I throw out an anchor AND tie off to a limb.
Think I'm going to get me one of them brush anchors this year.

Hey Eel I will be up in the Cove this weekend fishing with Jared on Thursday and that looks like the only day we can get out because of the wind.
Want to meet me there and we can go over to Overton's place and hang out. Maybe break in for a drink. What do you think?
Can't wait we are going to try for some halibut so I am stopping in Redway and getting some small octopus as they love those things and tip our lures with it. Worked last time so hopefully this time again.
But really if you are down there look me up we are going to do some scotch drinking this weekend...LOL

Hey Eel I will be up in the Cove this weekend fishing with Jared on Thursday and that looks like the only day we can get out because of the wind.
Want to meet me there and we can go over to Overton's place and hang out. Maybe break in for a drink. What do you think?
Can't wait we are going to try for some halibut so I am stopping in Redway and getting some small octopus as they love those things and tip our lures with it. Worked last time so hopefully this time again.
But really if you are down there look me up we are going to do some scotch drinking this weekend...LOL
Overton has security cameras now.....dang it! Octopus is a good bet! The wind has really raised havoc on the Pacific Halibut effort here too. They're catching fish when they can get out though. Best of luck, Mike!

Overton has security cameras now.....dang it! Octopus is a good bet! The wind has really raised havoc on the Pacific Halibut effort here too. They're catching fish when they can get out though. Best of luck, Mike!
Cameras we don't need any stinking cameras I know a guy in the cove who can disable them if we need it done....LOL

We only hear what we want to hear......... Sometimes the stink eye is all it takes you just know you are in trouble.......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom