I thought ammo was high

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Today I bought two 16' 4X6 pressure treated Hemfir....$136.30

I priced Con Heart Redwood 2X6.....$1630/thousand.....gulp! Last time I bought it it was about $400/thousand.

I forgot how heavy pressure treated lumber is.

I Ain't Forgot What REDWOOD Heart Costs!

Way More Now!

And Heavy?

That'd Be an Understatement!

Talked to a Contractor a couple days Back!

7/16" OSB is 40.00 a Sheet!

Eel with houses it is a sellers market and that means more home construction is going on and that puts a big demand on lumber.
My oldest son is doing some remodeling work at the farm house to move into it this year. He was planning to rent his present home until a friend, who is a real estate agent, told him not to rent but sell instead while he can get top dollar for the house. Who knows with the present gov. we have, real estate prices could take a dump in the next year as they have in the past. If that happens, that is the time to buy lumber as prices will be down again.
RELH

RELH, I'd like to wait but it will be planting season soon and I need to replace the back deck.

Now is a good time to sell for sure....I think.

I Ain't Forgot What REDWOOD Heart Costs!

Way More Now!

And Heavy?

That'd Be an Understatement!

Talked to a Contractor a couple days Back!

7/16" OSB is 40.00 a Sheet!
If you ever run across any uncured Redwood heart wood that has a purple hue to it, don't even try to pick it up. It's all water. Let Juan pull it. You wouldn't think wood could weigh that much.

Homer that agent is a great friend that has given my son a lot of good free advice in the past and it is a seller's market here. My son bought the home when the market was down and it was a custom built home that the original owners paid over 400 thousand for. The owner lost his his job and they were going to foreclose on the home and my son picked it up for 160 thousand. Value is now around 450-475 thousand.

Eel you remember the photo of our Victorian farm house. That house is solid redwood siding and framework. The timbers in the framework are redwood heartwood. No sap wood at all. All of the lumber was brought up on barges on the Sacramento River that is 100 yards from the front door in the 1880's when the house was built.
RELH

Might be a Great Time To Sell!

Anybody thought Seriously what the Replacement Cost/Build is gonna Run You?

You Might wanna Check in to that just a little Bit!

We're Getting Raped By This New Clan!

great.....my advice??......don't sell realestate till you're broke....is he broke??

He gonna put it in his mattress or a bank....or the stock market??....he has faith in those??...

...of course that won't benefit his good buddy.....a sale would

Today I bought two 16' 4X6 pressure treated Hemfir....$136.30

I priced Con Heart Redwood 2X6.....$1630/thousand.....gulp! Last time I bought it it was about $400/thousand.

I forgot how heavy pressure treated lumber is.
Eel I was going to call you to see if you had any connections for pallets of redwood fencing material. The 1x6x6 redwood boards are going for $12 a piece Wow that's double what it was just last year. I need to build two new fences so I thought I would go to the mill like I did when I built my house in the Cove.
? Aren't you like the godfather of wood! asking for a friend...LOL

All this redwood talk reminds me of a story from up here at an undisclosed location near Climax CO.

As part of a project, we were to demo a slurry pipeline. It was something like 48” in diameter and MILES long and made of redwood. Think of the construction like it was a long barrel.

We hauled hundreds of truckloads of it to a pile and buried it with D10’s. I nearly cried.:(

Must f been a Government Job?

All this redwood talk reminds me of a story from up here at an undisclosed location near Climax CO.

As part of a project, we were to demo a slurry pipeline. It was something like 48” in diameter and MILES long and made of redwood. Think of the construction like it was a long barrel.

We hauled hundreds of truckloads of it to a pile and buried it with D10’s. I nearly cried.:(

Nope, miners. The guys who gave away the “Earth First - We’ll mine the other planets later” bumper stickers 20 years ago. By God they weren’t kidding. :)

Homer the money is going to be put in to the farming operation at the farm we USED to own. We gifted it to our son due to proposition 19 that just passed in CA.
If we waited until we died to pass it on to him, under that proposition the farm and house would be appraised at a higher value and he would have to pay a higher rate of tax per year.
So he is taking that money from his present home and re-investing it into the farm and that home. He has to pay taxes on that farm and he also has to pay about 7,000 dollars a year to the district that control the levees that was built to protect the homes and farms from flooding.
Only in CA. do they not only collect taxes today, but with proposition 19 they figured a way to increase future taxes on property that parents will leave to their kids as a inheritance. They passed proposition 19 by saying it was a way to help the people that got burned out in our forest fires. The people passed it without reading the fine print that allowed our Dems to stick it to you on property you will want to pass on to your kids. By gifting the farm now, we got around that proposition. Never trust our liberal party when it comes to ripping the money out of your wallet.
Another reason added to many others why I do not vote for a certain party in CA. for the past 25 years.

RELH

Eel I was going to call you to see if you had any connections for pallets of redwood fencing material. The 1x6x6 redwood boards are going for $12 a piece Wow that's double what it was just last year. I need to build two new fences so I thought I would go to the mill like I did when I built my house in the Cove.
? Aren't you like the godfather of wood! asking for a friend...LOL
My old mill doesn't cut redwood any more. They quit a few years before I retired when they switched to a small log mill. I think the largest log that mill can handle now is 27" diameter. The sawmill in Scotia has the market cornered on redwood. I used to know the filers there but we've all retired or quit.

Nope. I'm just like the condor in California, on the endangered species list.

My old mill doesn't cut redwood any more. They quit a few years before I retired when they switched to a small log mill. I think the largest log that mill can handle now is 27" diameter. The sawmill in Scotia has the market cornered on redwood. I used to know the filers there but we've all retired or quit.

Nope. I'm just like the condor in California, on the endangered species list.
Thanks bud I'll call the guys I used before they sell it to me wholesale so hopefully it is a little bit cheaper than the big box stores

Deerhunter53 if you can get wholesale, you will save a good amount. The big box stores and hardware stores will mark it up a min. of 33% to even higher at some places. My wife put in 30 years at our local hardware store and they sold a lot of redwood at a 33% markup over their cost.
RELH

Deerhunter53 if you can get wholesale, you will save a good amount. The big box stores and hardware stores will mark it up a min. of 33% to even higher at some places. My wife put in 30 years at our local hardware store and they sold a lot of redwood at a 33% markup over their cost.
RELH
Exactly what I was thinking

When I built the original deck 45 years ago I used 4X8 all heart redwood. It was off the ground on concrete piers. I didn't seal it or apply any kind of finish. 45 years of being out in the weather, I figured it was shot. The outside is badly weathered, covered in moss and lichens and spongy to the touch. (see photo)

I made a chainsaw cut and was amazed how sound the wood is. It's all just like new inside, down about 1/4". I ran some through the table saw to make some blocking for the new deck. Now I'm going to save it all.
P1010224.JPG

Eel the rain gutters on our Victorian was 130 years old when they replaced the roof with a new metal roof. The contractor told my wife that the gutters were still in good shape when they took them down to replace with new metal gutters.

RELH

This time last year ammo cans were half price and in some cases 1/3 the price they are now when up for auction.

Bet that Metal Doesn't Last 130 Years?

Me & You Won't know one way or the Other!:D

Eel the rain gutters on our Victorian was 130 years old when they replaced the roof with a new metal roof. The contractor told my wife that the gutters were still in good shape when they took them down to replace with new metal gutters.

RELH

Free advice....put all your real estate holdings in a Trust. When it is time to meet your maker, those that inherit the Trust will pay less in taxes. It cost us $850 to do a Trust and Health Directive. Us spending $850 saved our kids roughly $65,000 in taxes the day the Trust was recorded. With property values going up, that number is going to grow. Find an attorney to create a Trust and do it today if you haven't yet. Your kids will thank you. If you don't, the government will thank you.

Free advice....put all your real estate holdings in a Trust. When it is time to meet your maker, those that inherit the Trust will pay less in taxes. It cost us $850 to do a Trust and Health Directive. Us spending $850 saved our kids roughly $65,000 in taxes the day the Trust was recorded. With property values going up, that number is going to grow. Find an attorney to create a Trust and do it today if you haven't yet. Your kids will thank you. If you don't, the government will thank you.
I would disagree that a trust can always be a good thing. Be careful that you don’t leave an estate that will be eaten up by trustees, administrators and lawyers. It’s a real thing.

I would disagree that a trust can always be a good thing. Be careful that you don’t leave an estate that will be eaten up by trustees, administrators and lawyers. It’s a real thing.
You assign a Trustee who oversees the Trust...and then a second position Trustee and so forth so no administrators/lawyers are needed. The lawyer involved would be the lawyer who drew up the Trust. If you DON'T have a Trust, things could be bad.
I would assume if you have a partnership, corporation or any real estate where there would be many investors a Trust would not be a good idea and could get messy. I was speaking in a general sense which most of us here on MM would fall into.
If your beneficiaries are a$$holes, then your statement is completely possible, Bluehair. My kids are perfect so no worries for the Mrs and I. :)

View attachment 35646

I wish there was more redwood like this. Been saving this piece for something special.

Those were the days.
That's a pretty piece of wood. Redwood burl was big business here back in the hay day.

Me and another guy spotted a big burl on an old growth redwood tree on company property back when I worked in the woods. It was close to the ground and about 6' diameter. We got permission to go in on a Saturday and cut it.

We cut a bunch of slabs with his chainsaw. And then we had to pack them up to the road, about 50 yards. We had his 3/4 ton truck squatted down pretty good. We took it into a burl shop and the guy offered us $50, take it or leave it. We were too tired to argue so we took it.

That's a pretty piece of wood. Redwood burl was big business here back in the hay day.

Me and another guy spotted a big burl on an old growth redwood tree on company property back when I worked in the woods. It was close to the ground and about 6' diameter. We got permission to go in on a Saturday and cut it.

We cut a bunch of slabs with his chainsaw. And then we had to pack them up to the road, about 50 yards. We had his 3/4 ton truck squatted down pretty good. We took it into a burl shop and the guy offered us $50, take it or leave it. We were too tired to argue so we took it.
?‍♂️

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom