I spotted Elkassassin

That was ss!

Somebody started the next new Rumor:

HAVALON BLADES ARE IN SHORT SUPPLY!

So He's got His Little F'N Rice Burner at Wide Open Throttle trying to get to Sportsmans Warehouse to Stand in Line for 3 hours to Get His Next 1,000 Pack of Blades!

Funny you say that elk. Back in December and January there really was a shortage of havels products. All their cargo was stranded on the west coast including #60 scalpel blades because customs employees wouldn't come to work.

You mean those cheap Chinese blades got held up at customs. Boy I bet SS was tied up in knots worrying about it.

RELH

Guys who still use custom knives:
3BA427D7-0377-4D9F-9A7C-BF5D60FFF31C.gif

SS isn't that your favorite hero that will open the trade barriers to China for selling their junk. I bet you could not get to first base on how to sharpen a knife and must depend on throw away blades. The greenies are not going to like you.
RELH

SS isn't that your favorite hero that will open the trade barriers to China for selling their junk. I bet you could not get to first base on how to sharpen a knife and must depend on throw away blades. The greenies are not going to like you.
RELH
I bet one gets real good at sharpening knives if they get a knife from you ????

how does it feel to know China spanks your butt on the knife market?

SS I can not keep any knives in stock for the past 3-4 months. As soon as I make them and post them, they sell. Fastest time was 2 minutes after posting on Facebook last week.
You are a fool to even put a havalon knife into the same category as a custom knife. Havalon knives are just a tool and nothing more that was made for a paticular job. A custom knife is far more. A lot of times it will become a family heirloom to past down to the kid or grandkid in the family. It is something to pull out at the campfire and have others admire the craftsmanship.
Like I said, some folks love the ownership of a Ferrari and some are satisfied with a Ford Pinto like you are.
Some folks will want to spend the money on a very expensive custom rifle that will shoot very small groups and look good at the same time. Other folks will be satisfied with a cheap factory rifle that will shoot average groups. Havalon knives have their place for certain applications in the game field, but they are not the cure all you try to claim they are.
Admit it, you are just a cheap person and only buy because it is cheap just as you indicated above in a previous post.

RELH

SS I can not keep any knives in stock for the past 3-4 months. As soon as I make them and post them, they sell. Fastest time was 2 minutes after posting on Facebook last week.
You are a fool to even put a havalon knife into the same category as a custom knife. Havalon knives are just a tool and nothing more that was made for a paticular job. A custom knife is far more. A lot of times it will become a family heirloom to past down to the kid or grandkid in the family. It is something to pull out at the campfire and have others admire the craftsmanship.
Like I said, some folks love the ownership of a Ferrari and some are satisfied with a Ford Pinto like you are.
Some folks will want to spend the money on a very expensive custom rifle that will shoot very small groups and look good at the same time. Other folks will be satisfied with a cheap factory rifle that will shoot average groups. Havalon knives have their place for certain applications in the game field, but they are not the cure all you try to claim they are.
Admit it, you are just a cheap person and only buy because it is cheap just as you indicated above in a previous post.

RELH

I've never been in a field with a havalon ever needing a custom knife or any other knife for that matter. But I've been in the field with a custom knife wishing it was more sharp. Havalon for the win.

I have a box of custom knives given to me over the years. I get the heirloom thing. But you're damn wrong about a havalon not being something that cant be passed down. If you're that vain when it comes to custom knives theres no hope for you. Heirlooms many times have no value outside of the family. Well crap i guess maybe a custom knife could be a heirloom though as well as a havalon.

If someone made a custom handle and put a scalpel holder in made out of that fancy steel does it now make it a custom knife? One worthy of being a heirloom?

I'd try to take you serious RELH but then I remember you live in CA by choice. And there's just something wrong with a knife maker trying to prove his point on a hunting forum that lives in CA. I'm sorry. I just can't take you seriously.

But hey to bury the hatchet someone posted something a couple weeks ago that just seems like from my position I just need to say.

you're right.

Last edited:
I think the beauty of the havalon's is that there is no sentimental attachment at all. If I walk off and leave it, no big deal I can buy another one, and I won't bother to go back to find it.

One of my half dozen custom knives, I'm going back for them.

I think everyone can appreciate the craftsmanship of a good knife, but for function they just don't compare. I can have a new blade on a havalon in 20 seconds, don't need to pack a steel or stone, and when I get home I can resharpen the havalon blades too. The last thing I need to do is sit down and spend time sharpening a custom knife in the field. I want to get an animal broken down, caped, and in game bags and get on with it.

Havalon® Knives Barracuta-Blaze Replacement Blades make an easy job of skinning and deboning big game. Each blade is made of thick, durable Japanese stainless steel that's micro-honed for precision slicing and cutting.

SS that Japanese steel used in Havalon knives will be 8AUS stainless steel. It is comparable to our 440C stainless steel. It is a inferior steel to S30V and if both knives have the proper heat treating and equal edge sharpness, S30V will out cut the Havalon in a controlled cutting contest.
You claim to have been given some custom knives that are inferior to the Havalon for sharpness. why don't you post some photos of your "custom" knives and let us see who made them and what steel was used.
I have a knife collector in Gainsville, GA. that bought 10 of my S30V knives to add to his collection of over 300 knives. After buying the last 4 he sent me a email and told me this.
"Bob your knives are the sharpest in my entire collection and you sell them too cheap". He has some very well know knife makers in his collection.
Another thing, if you pack in on foot and get caught in a severe storm, you may wish you had a custom knife to build a shelter and cut up some firewood to survive the cold. Your Havalon would not cut the mustard with a broken thin blade.

Like I said before, Havalon knives have their place for a paticular job, but they are not the cure all you make them out to be.
RELH

slightysober here is what Mike, who is the editor for "ireviewgear" has to say about my S30V knife after he tested it for one year. You can go to his website and see the full article including the photos of his knife being made.
RELH

Ok, you have looked at the photos, you know why I decided on this knife, now, after having it 1 year how has it performed?

Let me start by saying I am buying another one, and then eventually buying one for each of my adult kids, simply put, this is a great knife, and a great tool, I LOVE IT.

I have used the Hatfield knife on 2 elk, and 2 deer. On each deer I caped, and quartered the deer. On the elk, I skinned, and quartered using the guttless method.

I decided after using it on these 4 animals that it was time for a sharpening. Before I did the sharpening however, I decided to do my shave test. I wet my arm just a little and then easily shaved a 1 inch area with the knife, OK, no need to sharpen, WOW!

I am confident that a hunter could easily butcher 4-6 animals with this knife before you would need to sharpen. This is far better than any knife I have owned, and is frankly just remarkable.

The knife is well balanced in my hand, and as you can see has a nice long ergonomic handle. This keeps the knife where it should be, and protects your hand from slipping onto the blade.
The sheath is also outstanding and made of very thick leather. The knife fits slugs in the sheath, and there is little concern about carrying this in you pack, or on your belt. It will stay put.

Summary:
Great knife, and certainly my go to hunting knife. I pack it and one other knife in the field when I hunt. The look and functionality are top notch, and I consider this the best knife I have every owned.

What they could do better:
Make more fast!

Havalon® Knives Barracuta-Blaze Replacement Blades make an easy job of skinning and deboning big game. Each blade is made of thick, durable Japanese stainless steel that's micro-honed for precision slicing and cutting.

SS that Japanese steel used in Havalon knives will be 8AUS stainless steel. It is comparable to our 440C stainless steel. It is a inferior steel to S30V and if both knives have the proper heat treating and equal edge sharpness, S30V will out cut the Havalon in a controlled cutting contest.
You claim to have been given some custom knives that are inferior to the Havalon for sharpness. why don't you post some photos of your "custom" knives and let us see who made them and what steel was used.
I have a knife collector in Gainsville, GA. that bought 10 of my S30V knives to add to his collection of over 300 knives. After buying the last 4 he sent me a email and told me this.
"Bob your knives are the sharpest in my entire collection and you sell them too cheap". He has some very well know knife makers in his collection.
Another thing, if you pack in on foot and get caught in a severe storm, you may wish you had a custom knife to build a shelter and cut up some firewood to survive the cold. Your Havalon would not cut the mustard with a broken thin blade.

Like I said before, Havalon knives have their place for a paticular job, but they are not the cure all you make them out to be.
RELH
I don't care what kind of knife I have...I just don't see myself chopping down a tree with one or chopping firewood with one either.

I could burn a piece of wood in half or bust it in half with my boot heel faster than trying to chop it in half with your S30V knife.

If you're worried about having something to chop trees with, I suggest a hatchet...I don't normally drive nails into wood with a weed-eater either, but that's just me.

Also, you make a fine looking knife and I wouldn't be inclined at all to be chopping trees with one.

RELH
You're right.

slightysober here is what Mike, who is the editor for "ireviewgear" has to say about my S30V knife after he tested it for one year. You can go to his website and see the full article including the photos of his knife being made.
RELH

Ok, you have looked at the photos, you know why I decided on this knife, now, after having it 1 year how has it performed?

Let me start by saying I am buying another one, and then eventually buying one for each of my adult kids, simply put, this is a great knife, and a great tool, I LOVE IT.

I have used the Hatfield knife on 2 elk, and 2 deer. On each deer I caped, and quartered the deer. On the elk, I skinned, and quartered using the guttless method.

I decided after using it on these 4 animals that it was time for a sharpening. Before I did the sharpening however, I decided to do my shave test. I wet my arm just a little and then easily shaved a 1 inch area with the knife, OK, no need to sharpen, WOW!

I am confident that a hunter could easily butcher 4-6 animals with this knife before you would need to sharpen. This is far better than any knife I have owned, and is frankly just remarkable.

The knife is well balanced in my hand, and as you can see has a nice long ergonomic handle. This keeps the knife where it should be, and protects your hand from slipping onto the blade.
The sheath is also outstanding and made of very thick leather. The knife fits slugs in the sheath, and there is little concern about carrying this in you pack, or on your belt. It will stay put.

Summary:
Great knife, and certainly my go to hunting knife. I pack it and one other knife in the field when I hunt. The look and functionality are top notch, and I consider this the best knife I have every owned.

What they could do better:
Make more fast!
You're right again

slightlysober, if you love using a knife with replaceable blades, you should try the Outdoor razor lite as it has features that make it a better knife then the Havalon in my opinion.
RELH

slightlysober, if you love using a knife with replaceable blades, you should try the Outdoor razor lite as it has features that make it a better knife then the Havalon in my opinion.
RELH
I've got several of those that I won at banquets and such. About 20 years ago, one of my hunting buds showed me his new-fangled ceramic blade (Cabela's???), never needs sharpening. He insisted I use it on my bear. I did, but he cautioned me to not to apply lateral force because it could break. I broke it-ouch.

Truth is, I use my knives, even purty ones, for anything I need. Occasionally something silly like breaking a tip, but that's on me. That's why I don't use the Havalon-type knives. But that's me, I get it, I'm old-school on some things and knives are one of them.

I've got several of those that I won at banquets and such. About 20 years ago, one of my hunting buds showed me his new-fangled ceramic blade (Cabela's???), never needs sharpening. He insisted I use it on my bear. I did, but he cautioned me to not to apply lateral force because it could break. I broke it-ouch.

Truth is, I use my knives, even purty ones, for anything I need. Occasionally something silly like breaking a tip, but that's on me. That's why I don't use the Havalon-type knives. But that's me, I get it, I'm old-school on some things and knives are one of them.
don’t feel bad if you’re breaking blades. Not everyone can have finesse with a knife.

The bottom line is, do you want a knife made by a US citizen, a Vietnam veteran who spent a life in law enforcement, and even shot LeRoy, or do you want a knife endorsed by the Kardashians?

The bottom line is, do you want a knife made by a US citizen, a Vietnam veteran who spent a life in law enforcement, and even shot LeRoy, or do you want a knife endorsed by the Kardashians?
I knew RELH’s knives were endorsed by his neighbors the kardashians! Probably going to get a RELH knife with your next stimulus check.

Feddoc, it seems that slightlysober has a physiological problem of being hung up on Kardashians. He must be a left wing bent wrist liberal that migrated from San Francisco.
RELH

Feddoc, it seems that slightlysober has a physiological problem of being hung up on Kardashians. He must be a left wing bent wrist liberal that migrated from San Francisco.
RELH
Says the guy who chooses to live in California. ?????

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom