I screwed up.. but got lucky

L

lostantler

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-11 AT 07:08PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-11 AT 07:06?PM (MST)

somewhere in the controlled hunt application process something got cross mojo'ed. I thougth I told the guy at walmart to put me in for unit 50 antelope (#4012). This is where things get fuzzy. I don't know if he mixed up some numbers or hit the wrong key or if I told him the wrong hunt number but somehow I got put in for 51* antelope(#4013). Well, I got lucky and drew the area 51* tag. I am greatful I drew something, but I had all the hook-ups and area knowledge in area 50 and now I don't have a damn clue where to go in 51*. Heck I haven't even set foot in that area before. If anyone could give me any tips to start my research that would be greatly appreciated.

We had a great time last year shot two bucks and saw some awsome country. I'm at work and don't have my maps so P.M a reminder and I will dig them out.

Brian
6003hunting_004.jpg

We elk hunted it a few years ago and there were antelope everywhere and tons of public/blm ground. Beautiful country too. Good luck.

I just got done looking at the harvest reports for the last 5 years and it looks very promising.

Dont know nothing about unit 51, but gotta give you props for actually looking at what you drew. Im sure there are quite a few people who make that mistake and go out and hunt the unit they "thought" they drew. Goodluck man.

We have deer hunted it a bit the last few years and there are lots of lopes on the public land and have seen some great bucks. I think I would start around Mt.Hawley area and work away from there if I had the tag but that is just what I have seen while deer hunting.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-11 AT 08:37PM (MST)[p]I been looking at some maps and I think I got lucky because there is so much public land in area 51. I won't need to have all the contacts with property owners like you need to have in unit 50. I feel luckyer and luckyer to have this tag the more research I do. Are most the lopes down in the valley or up in the little drainages that filter down to the valley

The sawmill canyon area has some good bucks....we call them "mountelopes" because they like to hang out in the steep foothills there.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-11 AT 12:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-11 AT 11:05?AM (MST)

Thanks for the tip. I will be looking on the topo maps tonight.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom