I need your help

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
First of all I have to apologize for this post on a hunting website BUT I respect the opinions (most) I see here and I don't know of a good truck website so here goes.

I'm looking for a new (used) truck. I've been primarily looking at 2001-2003 7.3s in either the 250 or 350 AND the 2002-2005 Dodges in the 3500.

My question is which power train is the best? My definition of best is; adequate power, longest lasting, most fuel efficient.

What year and model would you recommend?? I think I'm leaning towards a one ton, crew cab cause I haul a lot of weight and I never have enough room. I do not want a dually though.

I own a 2000 F250 (7.3) with 330,000 miles. Still running strong BUT I haul horses all over the Western US each fall chasing elk. The last 2 years I have some concern when I leave home. The truck still pulls the same grades with the same power it did 5 years ago but some day it's gonna say, "I'm tired!!" And I don't want that to happen with a tag in my pocket and 3 horses in the trailer.

Please give me your opinated opinions. Having driven a Ford since "88" I will still consider the Dodge and that is no reflection on the Fords I've owned.

3200red.jpg

Sounds like you have got a bunch of use out of your 7.3 , and I hope I can get that many miles out of mine . I love my 2002 , F350 with 7.3 . Mine only has about 98,000 , but they have all been pretty much towing and hunting miles . I have only had the routine maintance issues with mine and two alternators .

The girlfriend has a Dodge with the Blue Tech or Tek diesel , and I'm not impressed at all . I like some of the fancy interior options on the Dodge , but that motor doesn't seem to have half the power my stroker has .

Every once in a while I hear about some one picking up a 7.3 with low miles , if some thing happened with my truck I know thats the route I would be looking .

Well caelk!

I agree on trying to find an older Diesel with low mileage but I've been trying several years myself & haven't been able to do it,have seen a few low mileage Automatics,not my cup of tea!

That Blue Tech Rig is way to New!

The Government/Auto makers ought to have their Asses kicked!

Funny how they could build Diesel Pick-Ups there for a few years that could get 20 MPG but they can't/won't do it now but by GAWD they can SMOG them & now they pass emissions with half the mileage,WAFJ!

You already know the good years of the Stroker so I won't go in to that!

The best Dodges as far as Reliability & Very few problems are the 2001 through early 2004's!

When I say Early 2004 I mean it,2004.5's might boast more power but this is when Dodge started bending people over,sad part was nobody knew it!

A mild/Usable Chip on a 2001-early 2004 is an awesome rig that will get better Mileage than any Pick-Up I've ever seen,the 6 speed stick with 3:73 gears is awesome,for extremely heavy loads I suggest the 4:10 gears!

The 2001 & 2002 Cummins are quite a bit Noisier than newer versions,GAWD some of them will irritate people that don't like the sound of a good running Diesel!

You don't buy a Dodge cuzz it's the pertiest or best driving Diesel!

I've drove em all and if you can show me a Pick-up that will pull a heavy load & still achieve the same kinda mileage as a Cummins I wanna see it!

There are nicer trucks out there as far as Nice,but if you think you're gonna drive a new Ford & like it like you've liked your older one you're very wrong!

And I can't speak for that brand new High Powered Ford they just came out with,only time will tell,GAWD let's hope it's not another POWERJOKE!

Let us know what you decided on & good luck!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!

One more thing I'll mention!

I talk to guys all the time!

Most of them like the Newer Dodges with the 6 Speed Auto Tranny's!

Problem is:

To get decent mileage you have to take that Obama/Kali Pipe off of them & put a nice Programmer on them to get the mileage up near where it's supposed to be!

Without them 2 options they can be fuel burning bastards!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!

I hear ya! But, if I find a low-mileage 01-05 cummins in good shape I don't think I'm gunna tell anybody! People hang on to good trucks, yours is a case-in-point! Keep searching. I've heard Texas is a good place to shop . . .

I think B-Bop nailed it down pretty good.

I have an 01 ford f350 with a 7.3 and a six speed manual and dread the day she dies cuz IMO there is nothing newer out there like it.

My dad has an 03 Dodge with a Cummins and an auto and I wish it was a stick when I drive it (very little) but he likes the auto and hasn't had any trouble. My biggest complaint with dad's truck is it is a ROUGH RIDING S.O.B.!! Get it on a two track especially in the rocky desert country and you may lose teeth.

As far as power train and reliability these are both great rigs and I have a few mods on mine and recommend that to get a little more pull but the mileage isn't as good as dad's cummins.

Like Bess said find me a truck that will pull like a Dodge Cummins and get it's mileage and reliability and I WILL BUY IT! I just don't know why the manufacturers can't wake up!

Bill

I know the 2000-2003 Dodges got 20-22 mpg where as the 7.3 was 17-19 mpg.

One of the reasons I asked about the power trains is the automatics. I have had friends that had issues with both the Ford and the Dodge autos in the early 2000s. I have heard good things about the newer ones BUT thats when the milage started sucking.

My truck is the 6 speed manual with 373 gears. It pulls fine but I always wondered what kind of milage the 355s got. With the manual catching a gear now and then to pull a hill might be worth the added mileage on the flats, especially with $4.00+ diesel again.

If any of you are seriously looking for a truck, check out ebay. I've been watching for a couple of weeks and have found several 7.3s with under 75,000 miles. "01 and 02s" One even had the 6 speed. I'm gonna keep watching, My personal maximum miles is 120,000 since I believe (if taken care of) that engine is useful to over 350,000.

My plan is to buy a $12,000-$18,000 rig, put another $5,000.00 into it and have a truck that does what I need and I can use for another 10-12 years. Next truck is gonna have an air locker, even 2. I can justify this by telling myself I just saved $25,000.00 over a new one.

Do a few more overtimes and bust for a brand new one! My 2002 7.3 has 210,000 hunting miles on it and I would drive it to the moon if I could only draw the tag.Only replaced a clutch and the brakes one time.Ive heard you cannot even order a manual tranny on the new ones? As long as fuel doesnt break the bank, in three more seasons Ill be at the Ford dealer buying one more to finish all my pref and bonus point tags with. I think an auto will work this next time as Im tired of spilling my coffee anyways.Heck the way I look at it is Ive always had some sort of car or truck payment all my life so why stop now? The peace of mind of only having to concentrate on the hunt,not a vehicle, is worth a lot to me. BH1

Hunter, you're going to have to build a flower bed around that old truck and plant the damn thing in the front yard. That thing is a piece of nostalgia!!! I had a 2002 Crew Cab 7.3 but I only got 14 out of mine. Didn't matter if I had a trailer on the back or not. Course I did have 20's on it with 37" tires and a 5" lift. I loved that truck. Then I made the mistake of going to a 2007 Duracrap and regreted every day. I am driving the same truck I had in elk camp now and love it. Good luck.

It's always an adventure!!!

I just bought an 07 cummins last weekend. Empty I'm getting around 18.5, pulling a 4 horse steel trailer with only 1 horse it dropped me down to 17.8. Plenty of power no complaints that way, coming out of a loaded GMC the truck just isnt as comfortable. It better pull my camper as good or better than my duramax because I was getting comparable mileage on 35s.

If diesel prices are going up again, wait a few more months and try to buy a diesel when people are looking to dump it. You can save yourself quite a bit of money. Remember last time diesel went up? They were dirt cheap and the little economy cars were going for big bucks!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

dodge new or old you cant go wrong. old ones you get the mileage ride a little rough and go forever, the new ones are still the best route cause you dont have to fill another tank for the exhaust to burn, ford and chev you have to. however with that said the new ford is pretty impressive and all the duallys are good lookn.

Gonna pull the trigger by August.

Justr, you make a good point. I remember 2+ years ago, several guys I work with dumped their diesels.

Jim, you're truck is sweet. after riding in it I've even thought about a 4" lift and 35's on my next truck. BUT on my priority list it's number 6 or 7. The new (old) truck is probably #2, An archery tag is way up there too.

And someone asked me the other day why I don't just buy a new one? My answer was I could buy 6 Colorado, Unit 61 archery elk tags or 2 1/2-3 Nevada elk tags for what I'll save.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom