I need some help

UtahMountainMan

I am a utah bowhunter and Utah is really screwing up their deer management. I am going to start coming to Montana with my 2 sons to hunt. I dont know if we will have the money to do it next year, but could someone please help me on a few questions...

1 - Can we (my sons and I) apply as a group?
2 - Can we apply to just buy a preference point for deer or elk? In case we dont have the money for the tag and travel
3 - When is the soonest we can apply/buy a point and what is the deadline?

If anyone has any advice, helpful info, or can point me in the right direction to start studying and help me out I would appreciate it. We have never been out there and I dont really know where to start looking.

Anyway, PM me if you are kind enough to help me find an area to start looking at. I can exchange a LOT of deer/elk knowledge for bow and rifle hunters wanting to come to utah or if you have points for utah.

Thanks guys

Honestly, you will be greatly disappointed if you come to MT to start hunting. Right now there needs to be a major overhaul in the managemnet policy for mule deer in this state, and there is nothing of the sorts on the horizon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the deer aren't here.

The deer numbers are down as low as I have seen in over 30 years of hunting, and my family hunts almost exclusively on private land. The public land that I do hunt, although amazing mule deer habitat, is completely void of life.

Good luck though, if you do decide to come.

Yes, the deer pop. is down. F and G only cares about quantity and not quality. A hunter can purchase alot of extra doe tags, I wonder if this will help the deer herds in the future. Piss poor management.........

The management is poor, and the number are down.

That said, as long as you aren't expecting a 170 inch buck, there's tons of opportunity, and the local economies would love your contribution. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom