I need a UTV utility wagon

2lumpy

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-15 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-15 AT 09:54?PM (MST)

I want to build a light weight sheep camp type wagon that I can pull behind my Polaris Razor.

The key is steering front wheels.

I'm hung up finding a light weight under-carriage (running gear) with ATV type wheels. Everything I've been able to find on the Internet, on a light weight running gear frame, has junk wheels, without wheel bearings.

I'd prefer a 48" Wide x 78" Long under-carriage, if anyone knows where I can find such a beast.

Here is the big boy version, I want to build a much smaller, much lighter, bed only, wagon, no stove, no cabinets, just a foam pad and a bed roll.

343sc.jpg

7124sc2.jpg

This is what I've found that's available but the wheels won't stand up to 30 mph for 20 mile trips. It's light enough, long enough, but I'm afraid of the wheels.

7840runninggear.jpg

Thank gentlemen.
DC

Are you pretty much set on having it two axles?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-15 AT 11:08PM (MST)[p]Dead set Joey. There's a ton of single axle trailers that would work but I'm after the look as much as the utility. It think a "mini-sheep camp" would look great next to the dutch oven, beside the pond, at 9,500 ft. Then I could give up on that cold weather sleeping bag system I've been looking for, for the last 8 months.

If I could figure out how to add a front axle that allows the wheels to turn, to one of those small two wheel trailers I'd do it, but haven't come up with a solution to do that yet. Maybe someone on MM with an engineering mind can help me figure it out.

DC

Well, Yeah! It's a good idea! Neat to do. As often in such matters, i'm drawing a blank. Good luck on your project.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I would bet a small trailer manufacturer would be able to custom a chassis for that. Would actually look pretty cool to have a set up like that.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

You'll have to build it your self I think. I built a utility trailer for my ATV and it's a rollover special. At 48" wide you best keep the weight low.

rollover special?
That doesn't sound too "special" to me BeanMan! haha

I agree, you'll need to build it yourself (or have it done) since the crappy wheel-hubs w/o bearings will be worn out on the first trip.

2lummpy, I've towed a couple different trailers behind my quads and BeanMan is correct...KEEP THE WEIGHT LOW or get ready for that "special" feeling. LOL

Zeke

1911, I'm afraid your right, but I'm going to keep looking before I charge into a custom build. I hating engineering things. Not smart enough and every time I've approached a trailer builder they scare me off with the price or the conversation. I've never been comfortable around folks that tell me I'm nuts. Got the scars to prove it. ;-)

Beanman, your right, and I will make every effort to give it a low center of gravity, with as much clearance as possible. I don't need a high wagon box and the canopy will be feather light. Getting the rigidity and the flex will be the challenge. Where I'm not going to load it up with anything but a bed roll and give it the extra length, I'm hoping to avoid the roll over issues. I don't intend to haul it over the nastiest trails either. I won't be taking it anywhere you couldn't haul a full sized sheep camp. It will be too long to make tight turns through the rocks and the trees on a lot of those 50" trails.

Maybe someone could tell me if I could remove those slip on wheels and replace them with a hub type wheel, if I could do that, I would likely purchase that green running gear from Northern Tool Supply, that I put in the first post. It's actually what would work best, if it weren't for those bearingless wheels.

DC

If you want a bed to pull behind your razor. The jeep guys already have what you want. Here are a couple of pictures.
5750tent-and-bed-3a.jpg

Tough enough for real off roading . Will this work? This company even sells do it yourself kits. They are called Tenttrax. There are many companies that make this for the jeep guys. I am sure they will work behind your razor. Some have little kitchen's .

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-15 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p]Zeke, I went on a 300 mile ride on the North Rim last spring with a guy that had one of these. With the exception of the Devil's Race Track on the San Rafael, we went through the worst crap I've ever been over. When we started out I figure he'd have that thing on it's lid in 30 minutes but while it had two wheels in the air more than not, it never went over and it never slowed us down on the more "human" sections of the trail. Nor did it ever hang on a rock, mind you it slid over a bunch.

90551600ahero.jpg

I'd buy one of these in a New York minute, if it was 7 feet long. They've designed with that belly low to the ground and with a few goodies in there it seems to have a pretty near perfect sense of balance, as it always came down right side up.

Still, with the length and height of the canopy, those kinds of trails are not going to be what I'd use a mini-sheep camp for. It will be of a more "gentleman's" camp, sort of thing.

DC

Thanks for the lead sageman, it led me to this product. A little less expensive than the Martin, but not a lot, with the current Canadian dollar exchange rate.

3859runninggear3.jpg

This model runs $649.00 which is nearly twice what the Northern Tool Supply running gear is, but it has 4 hub wheels and for an extra $175 they'll exchange the stock wheels for a set of flotation wheels, which would give it nearly 16" of axle clearance. Weighs around 260 lbs. and is 7" ft long.

I believe I'll order it tomorrow and get started.

Thanks guys, if anyone has another idea, I'm still open for any and all suggestions.

DC

Sorry I missed your post BJOHN. Those jeep tent trailers are good looking and more practical, for sure. And, they would work. But I'm after the sheep camp "look", scaled down to an ATV/UTV size.

I kind of like the idea of pulling it past your cabin and have you look out the door and say, "what the hell was that". :).

I'm just a goofy old man with too much time on his hands, I guess!

DC

Hey Lumpy!

If You'd get it Built I'd Help you get a Patent on it!

Just Think!

If 1/100 of TARDS Bought one that already own Quads We'd both be Sittin Good!

But I want 1/2 Lumpy!

The Patent was My idea!:D

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom