I got passed....

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I was stopped at the stop sign down below my house this morning. I was going to turn right onto Ridgewood drive which has a speed limit of 45mph. I look left and all I see are two guys on bicycles coming. They're a good hundred yards away, so I made my turn. I'm going down the hill doing 40mph and all of a sudden they pass me doing about 50. That's the first time I've ever been passed by a bicycle on the open road. I don't know if I should be ashamed or embarrassed.

I know a guy that was driving down a road. Said he was doing just a little over the speed limit. 30-35. Said no one was anywhere around him. Sees a dog in the road. Says he hit the breaks pretty hard. He said he saw the dog make it okay in the ditch but his whole truck shook kind of funny.

He gets out of truck and walks around back. There's a piled up guy and a bicycle. He helps the man who is alive but shaken. Finally the guy admits he was drafting head down right off his bumper and he never knew the guy was there. There was a pretty serious dent in his tailgate and the gentleman paid for repairs. Bicyclists ended up being okay.

I drive the Coronado Trail in AZ and it’s a twisting curvy road. On occasion there are RVs and some of them have trailers so they’re always very slow. I would joke with people that getting passed by one of those would be so awful that I would rather get kicked in the balls than have that happen.

Or pissed because they can break the law and you can’t.
I don't know about the state where this happened but in Texas bicyclists can be ticketed for most of the moving violations that motorists have to obey.

They tend to only enforce them in areas where a lot of bicycles are used. When I was attending TAMU police enforced moving violations heavily on cyclists.

I wish they went that fast around here. Bicycle road rage is a thing here.

I wouldn’t surrender anything. You’re just getting to the fun age - where you can drive like an a-hole and pretend you don’t know whats going on.

Or bigger mirrors.;)

I was stopped at the stop sign down below my house this morning. I was going to turn right onto Ridgewood drive which has a speed limit of 45mph. I look left and all I see are two guys on bicycles coming. They're a good hundred yards away, so I made my turn. I'm going down the hill doing 40mph and all of a sudden they pass me doing about 50. That's the first time I've ever been passed by a bicycle on the open road. I don't know if I should be ashamed or embarrassed.
Hopefully they weren't flipping you off.

Eel, keep the license and if you get stopped for a moving violation do this. Play Joe Biden and that you have a few marbles short in the brain and the cop will have pity on you and give you a free pass and let you go on your way.
RELH

Damn, Eel. I had something like the reverse happen to me a few years back. My son and I were hiking along a busy trail, hoping to catch up with my wife and daughter. We came up on a young kid--perhaps only six--who we intended to pass, but he turned around to my son and said "No cutting!" My son, always one to mind his manners, looked back and me with some hesitation and I had to bite my lip to avoid laughing. When the first wide spot appeared I just jogged past him, like an idiot, with my pack bouncing up and down. As I turned to see if my son had followed I saw the boy standing motionless in the trail, with head down and lip out, all dejected. And then I caught my toe and did a face plant.

Little bastard was laughing then...

Last edited:
Ouch! I was doing 40mph in a 45. It's not that I can't go 45, I can, but it's a pretty steep windy road with thick trees on both sides and deer often cross, so I'm always on the lookout. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
The jokes on them Boss!

Ya got to be on your third set of retreads to relate to getting passed by a bicycle and liking this stuff.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom