I GOT A SERVICE CALL!!

sageadvice

Long Time Member
YEA!!! Since i've been back from a family and friend holiday road trip, i've had 1 service call, last week, and just today got a call for another one for Wednesday. Boy, is it slow out there!!!

I don't care to be overly busy, plumbing Cont & service, i'd just as soon give excellent service and attention to the clients i have and usually am available to new ones as the word of my business spreads naturally without advertising. Might have to make some changes. This winter is way slow and though i don't mind being home, there's no money coming in, yet the mailman will no doubt, continue to bring the bills.

I suppose things would be fine if i milked ever last dollar from every job thru the busy months but i've built my rep on value, honesty, and dependability, not high prices and catch you when i got you. It's tough out there now, can't help but wonder just how tough it might get.

Joey

HEY sage!!!

SURE WOULD BE NICE TO GO FISHIN & NOT WORRY ABOUT THINGS BUT I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!!!

I'VE ALWAYS WANTED THINGS TO SLOW DOWN RIGHT AROUND OCTOBER 18TH BUT THEY NEVER DO!!!

YOU NEVER KNOW IN THIS FEAST OR PHAMON WORLD WE LIVE IN???

WE'VE BEEN ENGULFED WITH SLC & ST GEORGE CONTRACTORS HERE WHERE I LIVE & THEY'RE DRIVING PRICES DOWN ON NEW HOUSES SO LOW THEY CAN HAVE EM!!!

IF I'M GONNA PAY TO WORK I'M TAKING THE OTHER OPTION & GOING FISHIN JUST MAYBE FOR A DAY OR TWO!!!

I CAN SEE THINGS CHANGIN AROUND HERE & IT AIN'T FOR THE GOOD!!!

I'LL SHOOT YOU A PM IN A DAY OR TWO!!!

DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE BUT I HOPE ITS COLD ENOUGH PIPES START BREAKIN,LOL!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

Joey, people are hanging tight right now, just be patient. It's tough all over. It's not that they don't need you, it's that they're putting it off. When it breaks you'll wish for a little more time off.:)

Joey do you install tankless water heaters? I was just wondering your opinion of them. What's the best (better) brand? My current water heater is about 8 years old and will give out eventually.

If things get real tough, just remember to pay the electricity and the internet service so you can at least hang out with the rest of us!

Eel

Thanks Eel! i think you're right as usual! People are hanging tough. Also, i know there are lots and lots of homes out here with broken pipes from our early cold weather. We don't have as much snow to insulate around the base of all the homes that people vacate during the winter choosing to migrate to warmer climates. I have a feeling that we, us plumbers, are going to be very busy indeed once the snowbirds return and turn the water back on. Yikes!! It's getting to that point without harming my credit rating that concerns me.

As far as tankless waterheaters, yes! i'm a certified Installer-dealer. I sell Rannai units and of all the new fangled tech that's come out in the past 10 years or so, they're the only new type product that i really try and impress potential customers as a great product. The price of the actual unit has come down a bit. I installed one for a penny pincher this past season for 2k and lost money once it was all said and done.

My basic price is now $2500. providing it can be located on an outside wall without major re-routing the main water lines and there is a 3/4 gas line close by. That's a lot of money, i know, yet many claim to get it back, the units are VERY efficient and i get nothing but rave reviews. Tough call for a replacement job but on New Construction or a home you intend to live in a long time, if you can manage the extra costs over conventional units, it's the only way to go, IMO. Hope this info helps!

Joey

Joey, thanks for the straight up information! Just remember that quality materials and quality workmanship never goes out of style. I hope things improve sooner than later for you.

Eel

President Obama and Congress should leave gun rights alone. It's above their pay grade.

Im in the HVAC buisness and it is slow for me as well i get tons of calls but nobody has the money i even lowered my prices :(

Joey, Hope you can tough it out.I know a few plumbers over here in Susanville that are saying the same thing.slow,slow slow. But hang on I hear Obama is going to save us all!The money is going to start rolling in at the end of the month when he takes office. Right?

MULEY7MM, It's tough. I spent three hours on the phone this AM talking to the customer and my supplier, his tech, back to the customer...only to finally find out that they were going to "hold off." This doesn't happen to me as often as it could but is happening more often these past few months than ever.

Hope things pick up for you. We got hunting trips to pay for. :)

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-09 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]NECALI, Thanks for the info. Was kinda wondering how the guys over there were doing. As far as Obamba helping us out, i don't put much hope in his ability. Never know though and if things do improve with his help or on their own, i'll be surprised.

I don't need much. My trucks are paid for and i don't live high on the hog at all. Been through some tough winters back in the 80's while i was new in my trade and didn't earn but $8-12. an hour even when i did work...so, i'm probably better off than some.

On the bright side. This area around Lake Almanor is mostly populated with people that have the $$$. Lots and lots of very nice custom homes and these kinda folks aren't going to have problems in their plumbing systems. They're going to have them fixed or upgrade when they want to and though they may take a closer look at the bill than they used to, that in itself may help my little business.

Joey

not the type of service call i expected, but it sounds like it is much needed.

find a trailer park and put up a flyer, the folks living in them around here have been fighting frozen pipes all week.

REDDOG, good idea! Because of the altitude and harsh winters, we really don't have very many trailers in the area. There are some though and i'm getting used to working on them these past 4 years after years of training and working on New Construction only for someone else.

All jobs are good jobs and no job isn't big enough, but trailers, they are of they're own and can be difficult to work on without tearing the place up to get to the work.

Joey

HEY sage!!!

CHECK YOUR PM!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

Boy it's funny how things change. A year ago I had a few concrete jobs I needed done and contractors wouldn't even return my calls because it was "only a $10,000 job."

Now I know a guy that is starting a new house and as they were digging the hole, he had tons of guys pull in and ask if they could do the job. "We can start right now..."

Just hold on. Most people still have jobs making as much as always. They are going to hold back for a while and pay off some debt, etc. Then they will realize that life goes on and they paid down the credit card so they are in a better position to spend. It will get better...or the entire economy and society will collapse. Then we can hunt for a living which would be OK too. Good luck.

HAZMAT

www.muddyroad.net

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom