I finally killed it!

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I have a redwood tree on my property that has given me grief ever since we moved here in 1974. After we built the house I climbed it and topped it. It grew a new top and that blew out and smashed a couple of my fruit trees. It grew three more tops and got tall enough to reach the house so I hired a guy to climb it and cut those off for $1300. It started growing more new tops so I decided to kill it. It grew from an old stump that was logged probably 100 years ago. Here's the old stump, or what's left of it. It's at least 12' diameter.

P1010464.JPG

In the upper right of this photo you can see where they cut a notch to hold a spring board to stand on to fell it. At some point a fire came through as you can see.

P1010466.JPG

I cut a strip of bark and sap wood out all the way around it and it finally gave up the ghost. It's about 5' diameter.

P1010465.JPG

One of my neighbors walked by and said that tree got a disease. It got a disease all right. It got a bad case of Stihl disease.

P1010463.JPG

I have a redwood tree on my property that has given me grief ever since we moved here in 1974. After we built the house I climbed it and topped it. It grew a new top and that blew out and smashed a couple of my fruit trees. It grew three more tops and got tall enough to reach the house so I hired a guy to climb it and cut those off for $1300. It started growing more new tops so I decided to kill it. It grew from an old stump that was logged probably 100 years ago. Here's the old stump, or what's left of it. It's at least 12' diameter.

View attachment 113780

In the upper right of this photo you can see where they cut a notch to hold a spring board to stand on to fell it. At some point a fire came through as you can see.

View attachment 113781

I cut a strip of bark and sap wood out all the way around it and it finally gave up the ghost. It's about 5' diameter.

View attachment 113782

One of my neighbors walked by and said that tree got a disease. It got a disease all right. It got a bad case of Stihl disease.

View attachment 113783
Big old piece of timber! Did you fell it yourself?

Chopping down 60-80 ft firs is like child’s play compared to that beast, I bet the wind blew it over ;) happens when they die

In 49 years it never occurred to you to just cut the thing down?
Great question.

Before we built, my FIL fell some trees where the house is now. He wanted to fall that one too but I said no. Now the septic tank and a shed is on one side and the county road is down below it. The only option would be to take it down in pieces, which I might still do. I didn't plan on living this long.

I didn't plan on living this long
There’s gotta be a lesson in there for the rest of us somewhere but I don’t have the energy right now to figure it out. I’m sure another Californian on here will be by shorty to man splain it

Redwood wood is beautiful. Giant redwood stumps are awesome. Redwood trees below the branch/leaf line are stately. Above the branch line, they resemble a rats nest. Sure wish I had ten feet off one of those stately cylinders to make some tables out of.

I do understand your sleepless nights eel. I have a pine in my back yard that’s funky and getting big. A nasty wind could now lay a heavy section either on my garage or my house. Someday…….. hopeful after I’m nothing more than an unpleasant memory, somebodies gonna have to address it.

Arcata....was there a nickel factory there at one time? When I spent my one summer there some of the locals told me about it.
I haven't heard about that. I think Arcata is the world's biggest hippie factory though. They fly the Earth Flag above the American flag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom