I finally got him.

O

ohiohntr

I also posted this in the whitetail section, but had previously posted photos of him in velvet here and was updating about my success.

After hunting for a big whitetail for 10 years here and this particular buck for 2 seasons, I finally connected. It is not as easy as it is shown on t.v. I have frozen various anatomical parts off for many seasons in search of a deer like this. My boys were almost as excited as I was. I guess it's their turn now.

This makes a good consolation prize after spending the last week hunting in Colorado and not seeing 1 elk. I was expecting to come home and be skunked by this deer for the rest of the season also.

I started out this season hunting numerous stand sites and seeing very little deer. I blew a stalk on him a couple days ago, I got to within 40 yards through brush before he took off. I ended up getting him from a ground blind I set up. He came walking by at 10 yards, which surprised me after being busted the previous 100 times I was in the blind. He only went 70 yards after the shot.

He should score right around 160, with 13 scorable points.

He looked real good walking up to him.
1-77.jpg

2-67.jpg

7-14.jpg

8-9.jpg

3-48.jpg

9-8.jpg

5-27.jpg

Last picture of him alive.

1-76.jpg

Him in velvet.
IM000112.jpg

I'm not a big whitetail fan, but there is a lot of character in that rack. Ignore the naysayers and critics. Great deer!

Why not just tell the guy good job on his hunt? Instead, find somthing wrong and pick it apart, wth?. Guess that's why some people just don't post their pictures. That is a good looking buck. Thanks for posting the pictures.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-09 AT 02:34AM (MST)[p]Didn't you read the story? Unless you have a problem with reading comprehension, it wasn't that easy of a kill. A lot of hunters use feed/salt lick to get a look at what is in the area but they don't hunt them. Is it any different than sitting at a water hole for elk? Do you consider these elk hunters "shooters"? Maybe you and BuzzH should stick to spot and stalk because it is obviously the only method that is truly acceptable by the Almighty himself.

What a brute! Great deer!

Centerfire: Sounds like you use a rifle. Sounds way to easy to me.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Congrats on a great buck! I love the mass!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-09 AT 11:00AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the comments. And for centerfire, yes I am proud. I use the minerals and a little corn pre-season to help me scout out what is out there and see which direction they are coming from. If you know a better way to scout 300-400 acres of solid woods with enough leaves on the ground to make it sound like bubble wrap when you walk, then let me know. Come out here to Ohio and try do it yourself hunting and let me know how long it takes you to get a big one. If you can score quicker, then you can talk.

Once they shed the velvet, they rarely hit the lick anyway. If you notice the most recent live picture of him. (2:30 A.M.) He tended to show up lately about once a week at that time. I know this discussion of baiting and plots has been hammered to death on the board lately. Usually those who are opposed to it have never used them. Until 3 days ago, I had never seen this buck with my eyes, only on camera. Believe me, I have tried to find him. I looked all summer in fields and the woods. Between last year and this year, I have probably spent 30+ days in the woods after him. Without the minerals, I would not have known this deer existed. Even all my neighbors had not seen him before I got him.

I have 8 different stand sites scattered between mine and my neighbors property that I have tried to set up in funnels and travel corridors. As I said, I have hunted 6 of my stands several times this year and seen nothing. I tried to stalk this buck on the ground a few days before while he was in a plot I planted earlier. (again the leaves doomed me). If it would have been gun season, I could have had him then. With a bow though, it is a different story.

I admit it was sheer dumb luck he came by when he did. I have found in hunting though, I would rather be lucky then good.

Great Job Ohiohntr!!!! When you posted the velvet footage I really underestimated the size on that buck. I thought that he might be a 150 class buck at best. The third pic with your son in it really shows what a great buck he truly is.

I've hunted these deer for 40 years,....I KNOW what you did and it's one hell of an accomplishment.....be proud of your buck as I know you are......good job man, you have a trophy of a lifetime in that deer.

Awesome buck, love those browtines, good to see the smiles on your kids faces. I've killed some good mule deer and I've hunted whitetails just about every year for the last 15 years and have yet to kill a buck over 160 and have hunted some dang good areas. I'd just as soon hunt the whitetails. It is just as challening as a western hunt in its own right. It is an accomplishment to be proud of.

Awesome buck! Congratulations, I love the double forked eye guards! That is awesome!

Centerfire,

Keep your opinions to yourself or start your own thread to gripe. Nothing wrong with the way this buck was killed!

I wouldn't let centerfire rile you up. Obviously, he never has hunted in the east. Growing up in the Adirondack mountains on the Canadian border I know of what you speak. A tropy whitey is as difficult or more difficult to outwit than a trophy mulie.

That is a great buck and you should be very proud of it.

Great job and excellent buck! It's awesome to see what time, patience, and a bit of luck can produce. Great smiles on those boys' faces too, I bet their fired up to get out there themselves and start bagging some bucks. Glad to see they'll have that opportunity and are growing up in the country. Thanks for the post and pics.

Centerfire, f**k you.

LBR

Congrats Doug, that is an awesome buck and after 4 years of trying to kill a trophy whitetail when I was there with you, I understand the challenge. Too bad about the elk hunt in CO, call me next time, I might be able to help in that department. I've killed 2 six points in 2 years on over the counter tags.
Congrats again.

Centerfire.....do have a clue? Stick with your rifle on the road and keep pluggin those dinks.

Ohio I hunt for mature whitetails on my farm in the east TX thickets and I know what you just accomplished. Great to see a hunting family too! Bask in the experience and enjoy it,my friend. Congratulations!

Great buck! Im headed for Ohio November 3rd and just hope to see a buck! It would be nice to get a dhot of a mature buck.

Awesome buck! I grew up hunting whiteys in the East and still make it back there when I get a chance. That deer is a real accomplishment to be proud of. Don't let the naysayer idiots get you down. They have no idea what it takes to kill a buck like that back East. It seems that they watch too much TV.

Congrats that buck is a Toad, and the mass is great. Thanks for posting.
OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

Beautiful buck.

I primarily hunt in the west, and log lots of miles on boots, and spend days behind optics.

The last 5 years I have been whitetail hunting with my brother in MS a little as well.

Let me tell you this. The same guys kill the big bucks out there, just like the same people have success here in the west. It is not a fluke or luck. It is a whole different deal being alert in a tree stand, glassing deep into thick woods, being able to make a quick shot.

Guys that make comments like that do so to make themselves feel more important.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom