I don't understand

AWHOLELOTTABULL

Long Time Member
Somebody please help me with this....I have a 15 (soon to be 16) year old daughter. She could have had a learners permit 8 months ago but has no ambition whatsoever to get one. In fact, she just starte showing some interest in driving in the past 3 weeks. I just don't understand the logic. A buddy of mine says his kid is the same way. When I was big enough to reach the pedals I was driving. Of course it was on a farm but I wasn't scared of anything and I got my license the very second I could. She drove to and from an FFA meeting tonight and, HOLY CRAP, my stomach was in my throat the entire ride. I think some valium is in order for the next trip. Anybody out there with similar issues?

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

MY SON DROVE ON MY LAP SINCE HE WAS 1-1/2 YEARS OLD,I'LL NEVER FORGET THAT!!!

IT SCARES THE $HIT OUT OF A GUY LETTING YOUR KIDS GO & TAKE ON THAT RESPONSABILITY!!!

THE PROBLEM WITH MY SON IS HE'S LIKE ME,HE LIKES TO DRIVE,I CAN'T SHUT HIM DOWN!!!

GAS AT 4.00 A GALLON,SURE GLAD HE LIKES TO WORK ALSO!!!

GOOD LUCK AWLB!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Awholelottabull;

This is not uncommon with some of the kids today. Some of them does not think driving and having a car is such a big deal while still living at home. There may be issues that your daughter is not comfortable with her ability to drive and it might scare her a bit. If that is the case, do not push her, let her find her own pace. Maybe she would feel better about taking a driving school to hone up on her skills. What you save now on insurance may pay for that driving school if she wants it. It will also give you and the Mrs. more peace of mind knowing that when she does start driving, she may have enought driving experience to stay safe.

RELH

You got a point there Bessy. Maybe I should be thankful that she doesn't like to drive. At 4.00+ a gallon...thank the good Lord "dragging main" is not a fad anymore. She's getting the hang of the whole stick shift thing but that first hour was sure rough on the old back and neck.

www.awholelottabull.com

LOL AWLB!!!

I THINK ABOUT THE "DRAGGING MAIN" I DID WHEN I WAS YOUNGER!!!

YOU CAN'T AFFORD THAT CRAP ANYMORE!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

My daughter is 16 and got her license 5 months after her b-day. It was a little scary at first but she is a cautious driver....or was when she had her permit. We don't allow her to drive with friends (against the law), don't let her drive after 11 pm (against the law) and we won't let her drive with our other kids in the car. She's a good girl...doesn't drink or do drugs but have friends that do. 2 weeks ago, I look through her car one night and find a bottle of Skyy Vodka on the rear floorboard. I remained calm and talked to my wife about it. We knew it wasnt hers but still needed to talk to her about what will happen to her if she gets stopped with ANYONES alcohol in the vehicle. She has 3 uncles that are either Sheriffs or ploice officers. She'll lose her license for a year, go to alcohol classes and pay some fines. OUR insurance goes up big time and we have to pay to get the car out of impound. Needless to say, I kept the alcohol....she wasn't and still isn't able to drive her car except to school and work for 3 weeks. She told us she didn't think it was against the law to have alcohol in the car. We asked her, "Are you stupid?"

We pay about $100 a month more for insurance just to have her covered. It's a rip off!

Steve

Give your daughter time...she's probably just not ready.

Clipped this from RELH.
There may be issues that your daughter is not comfortable with her ability to drive and it might scare her a bit. If that is the case, do not push her, let her find her own pace. Maybe she would feel better about taking a driving school to hone up on her skills.

Don't push her, let her decide when she wants to take the driving lessons. I watched the neighbor lady with her daughter last summer and it was terrible. The mom sitting there in the front seat with her feet up on the dash and the daughter trying to parallel park right in front of my place. The girl backed up and hit the curb and then pulled forward and then tried again to back up and pull out. In doing so, I had to YELL and get their attention, the girl almost backed into my new Metal Mailbox that is not cheap. Have not seen the girl drive since. The mother drives like a bat out of HELL, go figure.

Brian

wiz, i dunno maybe she is a good girl, i hung out with all the bad kids didnt turn into a drinking man until after the marines when i was 19. There is a good chance your being blinded by your little ones innocent behavior. I think maybe she is maybe not, just saying be careful. Anyways have a good one. Oh and i got my license and skipped school the first time i could drive to school. I was older then most the kids and got my license early. Anyways do you think i got to drive to school anymore the rest the year....nope 9th grade from dec-june i got to ride the bus....
47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

My son had reservations about driving.

Personally I believe that there are several factors in their hesitation to drive.
1) They've been told since infancey that they were gonna die in a car. Car seats are the norm now. (miracle I survived in the front of dads truck with 4 kids plus mom and dad).
2) They really don't get the chance to "sit on dads lap" and drive. Not on backroads not anywhere. Could it be our thinking has changed, and in the world of lawsuites it is not worth it.
3) The kids personallity has alot to do with it. Yesterday my son got a ticket on the way home from school. He was Sick and trying to make the jon. First thing he told his mom was that he wasn't gonna drive any more, "we'll see."

Being first, making a mark and part of something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and may your firstarrow fly true.

I agree with Brian. Give her time. But one thing for sure, do not let her off the hook without learning to drive a stick. My siblings and I started young on the ranch. I mean very young. Scary young. And so did my oldest son. The day he turned 16 he got hs license. He's a good driver. My daughter was less confident. She had a bad experience with her mom trying to teach her and didn't get her license until she was almost a year older than she could have. She also never lerned to drive a stick. She's a good driver now but it was touch and go for a while. Totalled her car due to inattention about a year after she got her license. My yongest son, well let's not talk about him him. :)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-08 AT 09:26AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-08 AT 09:25?AM (MST)

Been lucky with my daughter. She got her license at 16. She had saved enough money (working on the farm) to put a nice down payment on a car so she got a new one. She will be 19 next weeks and there is not a mark on that car.

We will see how it goes with the other 2.

A quick story about learning to drive young on the farm/ranch. When I was 10 dad and I loaded a flat bed pickup with 50 lb bags of fertilizer and he pulled it out of the yard and parked it on an incline. He got on the tractor and told me to follow him to our main orchard. I popped the clutch and unloaded about half the bags.

He came back screaming at me asking what the hell I was thinking. I was crying and said I had to pop the clutch because when I had it in I couldn't see over the dash.

He lightened up.

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

If that's the only thing you don't understand about your 16 year old, count your blessing. I've raised three girls, I don't understand any of them or their mother, that's why I hunt so much!

LOL...

My dad recently remarried a lady that has kids ALOT younger than my dads. Her oldest daughter had no ambition to drive at all. Even when she turned 16 she didn't care to get her license. She didn't end up getting her license until she was 18. I really think it was because she was scared to drive and her mom didn't have the patience to ride with her.

I was driving to football practice on my own at age 15. It wasn't far from my house and obviously I had been taught from a very young age how to drive. We had enough trailers around the house that me and my brothers were backing in boat trailers, motorhomes and other trailers in the drive way in our early teens (with my impatient dad guiding us of course).

Like mentioned above. I wouldn't push her but definitely give her every opportunity to drive you around which will build her confidence in driving. Once she has confidence in driving I think that she will show alot more interest in getting her license.

LOL! 264 and frontier...you guys got a chuckle out of me. Thanks! I needed a good laugh. My daughter has laid a little rubber in the church parking lot over the last week learning to drive the Jeep. And I have 4 daughters, 0 sons, and 1(yes only one) wife. Swimming in an estrogen pool with weights on my feet and no floaty!!! Frontier, I feel your pain.

www.awholelottabull.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom