(I AM THE GREATEST!!!) PASSES!!!

Come on!

No Cassius Clay Fans?

He was kinda like Trump in a way!

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

"He was kinda like Trump in a way!"

Trump floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee?

Just Razzin you Bbop. :D:D

He was the original chit talker, and he was good at it. He also had the ability to back it up!

I watched all of his professional fights, from Sonny Liston to Larry Holmes. I came to believe he was the best heavy weight that has ever set foot in the ring. At least of any fighters I've seen videos of, before his time and after. For 10 years no one could hit the man.

I'm going to very politically in correct but honest, until he got well pasted his prime I coukdn't stand him and hoped every other boxer would knock him cold, even though I knew it was has highly unlikely. As a dirt poor college student I paid $100 to watch his first fight with Frazier on closed circuit TV at the Salt Palace in Salt Lake. It was a fight for the ages and when it was over, not a person in the Salt Palace was willing to guess who had won, until they announced the winner. If you've never watch that fight, you should, it was amazing.

I disliked Ali because if bhis brash and boastful behavior and the because of his outspokenness on the Vietnam War, and other issues that were going on in the 1960s and 1970. I was always taught to be respectful and show humility when something went well for me. Ali was opposite of that. He taunted his fellow boxers, before and after he whipped their butts. I don't care for that in a person, didn't like it then and don't like it now.

However, as he aged he became more dignified and eventually, by the end of his boxing career became a consummate gentleman. By the time he fought Larry Holmes I had made a complete turnaround and hated it when he lost to Holmes.

Ali matured into a respected Statesman and I was thrilled to see him light the Olympic Tourch. I believe he grew into a great example of humility, kindness, and fortitude. I hope he is resting in a very peaceful place. If there is a Heaven, I hope he's there!

Greatest boxer in the last 100 years, in my opinion. I thought that when I couldn't stand him and I'm still convinced of it after all these years.

DC

Ali vs. Norton was the fight I enjoyed the most. Ken shut Ali's smartazz mouth and broke his jaw. I did not like Holmes and it was 50/50 as far as I cared who won.

Smokin' Joe could take a punch. George Foreman fell for the rope-a-dope.

I never liked Ali from his start to the end. Did feel sorry to see him look like a vegetable in later life, so fighters could hit his head that is for sure and he paid for later in life.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-16 AT 10:53PM (MST)[p]The Frazier, Norton, Ali combination was strange, don't you think Brian? Ali could bet Frazier, Norton could bet Ali, and Frazier could bet Norton.

Goes to show boxing styles, getting inside each other's heads, all match up different.

DC

Ali peaked long before I started watching boxing. I grew up watching Tyson dominate the heavy weight field. I know their styles were very different but for those of you who saw both Ali and Tyson in their prime, who would have won had they fought at the pinnacle of their careers?

Call your shot and then read the following article for one commentator's breakdown of that hypothetical fight: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ian-in-depth-analysis-of-who-would-really-win

-Hawkeye-

Won't read yer link till tonight. I watched and marveled at both fighters. Tysons left hook was devastating, Cassius took a punch like no other. Tyson had incredible power, Cassius had unmatched speed for his size. Tyson was dumb as a post without his original trainer, Cassius was one of the strategically smartest fighters in history. I say Cassius in a decision and a fight for the ages! JMO

>Ali peaked long before I started
>watching boxing. I grew
>up watching Tyson dominate the
>heavy weight field. I
>know their styles were very
>different but for those of
>you who saw both Ali
>and Tyson in their prime,
>who would have won had
>they fought at the pinnacle
>of their careers?
>
>Call your shot and then read
>the following article for one
>commentator's breakdown of that hypothetical
>fight: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ian-in-depth-analysis-of-who-would-really-win
>
>-Hawkeye-

As much as I loved watching Mike Tyson fight, I am old enough to have watched Ali fight when I was a kid. I would take Ali hands down in a Tyson-Ali match. Ali had it all, speed, power, and above all, smarts. Although as a kid I loved Smoke'in Joe Frazier, Ali was truly the most gifted heavy weight of all time.

I'm in awe at the guy's skill and really think he was "all that".

I do, however, have zero respect for the man and dislike his confrontational, boastful, self-serving demeanor.

He was the greatest! The greatest fighter and the greatest poor example of a man.

There you have it,
Zeke

I liked him pretty good. It was frustrating to watch him fight though. He would run and dance too much for my liking. He was a gifted athlete, but so are a lot of people.

Between his draft dodging, the "phantom punch" fight against Liston, and the rope-a-dope, he just about ruined boxing for a lot of people. To a lot of people, that whole era was "fixed"

I would have loved to see Ali do the rope-a-dope gig against Rocky Marciano.

He was called the "Louisville Lip" in the 1960 and he deserved the nick name. I believe he became more humble, as he got older. even during the later years of his boxing career.

The thing I've often wondered about, as I've watched the civility slip away from the world of sports over the last 50 years is:

How much influence did Ali's "mouthy, bragging, boasting, belittling, nasty," language and attitude influence the athletes and youth who looked up to Ali as an idle and someone to emulate in life. I believe it is very possible much of the "swagger" in young athletes of today, came to be, because of Ali's example. He most definitely was a role model for millions of young people throughout the world, during the 1960 and 1970/s Much like others such as Elvis,The Beatles influenced music and Dennis Rodman with his body tattoos, etc.

It's an interesting conflict today, we have people over reacting to mouthy bragging and boasting by teaching that competition is bad and participation is all that matters, in response to the aggression, in your face attitude that the post Ali period introduced.

I've noticed how many of the younger Gold State Warriors players are not engraved with tattoos. I'm wondering if they are "rebelling" against the status quo and demonstrating that they are "doing their own thing" by not getting what has become "tradition" in the NBA. Youth always want to be "different", no matter what normal is. ;-)

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom