HVAC question

nmwapiti

Looking for advice/info on the best $$ spent on a boiler/water heater for in floor radiant heat and a 4 zone split AC or "ductless" AC unit. In the planning stages of a new house and want to get the most efficient equipment I can afford. I hear mixed reviews on the Polaris all in one water heater/boiler. I have heard good things about the Fujitsu and Mitsubishi split AC units. Wondering about the cost of a regular HVAC system vs the ductless AC. If I went the conventional HVAC route, I would have a back up heat source as well as Central AC. How much more will that cost vs a ductless AC system with 4 zones? House will be 3br 2 1/2ba 2,200 sf+/-. Any advice/info appreciated.

I don't know much other than to say everyone I know who has gone the radiant direction has regrets later. And I might add they are bookoo bucks from the get go.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I work for an HVAC contractor.

Your new home location would make a difference. I am guessing you live in New Mexico? What are you normal temps for summer and winter?

You didn't mention geothermal, we have installed several of those systems too. There are some good tax deductions for those that run through 2016 I think.

We have installed a lot of Fujitsu, Mitsubishi, Sanyo, & Daikin ductless multi zone split systems to. Any of that Japanese made equipment works good as much as I hate to say it.

At my house I have a ducted system, a gas furnace, heat pump coil & hot water coil on the furnace, split system heat pump connected to the HP coil and a outdoor wood boiler connected to the HW coil, the wood boiler also heats my domestic hot water. I use the heat pump for spring, summer and fall heating/cooling and use the wood stove in the winter, I just started a fire today for this winter! Sounds like if Hurricane Sandy hits we could have lots of snow and cold weather first of the week.

I'm not in the biz anymore but I'd go with 2, 3 ton ac systems myself mated to 2, 90% furnaces. Conventional systems and if you might have a mouse problem hard pipe it.

I do know a guy that did radiant heat in Las Vegas and the downstairs was probably 4000 sq feet. His gas bill to run the two boilers in the winter was $800 a month. That does include 2 90% furnaces to heat the upstairs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom