Huskemaw scopes

N

nenevada

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this scope. Who makes them, how long have they been available, durability, clarity, etc? I use Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40mm with b&c riticles on all my rifles and love them. I was curious if the Huskemaw's were worth giving one a try.

Thats the scope Best of the West is using on their show, MAKING 1,000 YARD shots.. I would say they are an excellent scope.

your using a great scope. Why do you want to change?

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

They claim their optical quality is as good as leupold and I know their long range technology is 2nd to none. I've thought long and hard about getting one.

Mike

Me and my buddy own a Huskemaw Scope, I can't say enough good about them. We both love them. They have great optics, and the crosshairs are so fine, it's just an awesome scope, I wouldn't trade it with anyone.

huntnrich, did you guys use your own rifles or buy one from them? I'm guessing you had to have them build the turrets specific to your rifles. How does that work. Maybe look'n at get one in the near future.

Mike

I purchased one last year for my 7MM and once you get all your rifle data figured out send them your data with your serial number and they will send you your custom knob.Just range your target,adjust knob to correct yardage for elevation and shoot.I have heard Cabelas will be selling them very soon.

WARBIRDUM, Do you know if the Leupold BDC dial works the same way? I know they build the dial to a rifles specific load. I talked to Leupold, and they need bullet make, bc, fps etc. I already have a Leupold and the BDC dial conversion is way less than a new Huskemaw. And my shots will be well within 1000 yards. mtmuley

Nothing wrong with Leupold scopes and yes you can get a knob made for your scope from Leupold.
I am just saying so far I have no regrets of purchasing my Huskemaw Optics 5-20 long range hunter it has a 30mm main tube,50mm objective lens,and a side focus parrallax correction dial.The scope I feel is well made and it is very clear even on 20 power.It takes a little time gathering data so start early before hunting season so you can get your custom knob back in time to test it out at different ranges before hunting.I know of several guys that have been using these scopes at the range with big calibers and also out in the field hunting in all kind of weather from hot to very cold conditions and so far so good.I do know they are not made in the USA but these scopes for the price are built real well.I am not on here to knock other scopes Leupold scopes do have a great name behind them and a very good warranty also.Dont be afraid to try the Huskemaw scope no matter what I think you will be satisfied just be patient collecting the data needed for your knob or turret.If you have any questions the customer service is also great.Once you send them your data they keep your scopes data with serial number on file makes it easy if you will be hunting higher or lower elevations or change bullet speeds you can get different turrets made for your situation or area you will be hunting.
Huskemaw Optics,Llc
1308 Sheridan ave.
Cody,Wy 82414

LAST EDITED ON May-23-08 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-23-08 AT 09:23?AM (MST)

completesportsman they list them at 975.00
Actual Magnification 5x-20x
Length 13.7 inch (346.8mm)
Eyepiece Length 2.58 inch (65.5mm)
Objective Length 4.301 inch (109.25mm)
Eyepiece Diameter 2.3 inch (59mm)
Tube Diameter 30mm
Weight 23 oz./about 680g
Eye releif(inch) 3.43-4.06 inch
Eye releif(mm) 87-103 mm
Objective lens Diameter 2.0 inch (50mm)
Exit pupil Diameter(inch) 0.38 inch 0.1 inch
Exit pupil Diameter(mm) 9.6 mm 2.5mm
Max Adjustment @ 100yds. 60 inch
Max Adjustment @ 100mm 152.4cm
Adjustment per Elev.Dial Revolution 20ft.
FOV @ 100 yds. 18.5 feet 4.9 feet
FOV @ 100mm 6.0 m 1.6 m
Max. Mount Ring Spacing 5.7 inch (144mm)
Front Ring Space 2.2 inch(55.1mm)
Rear Ring Space 2.1 inch (54.4mm)
The ballistic compensation technology is the first to accurately determine the drag model and ballistic coefficient(BC)for your bullet in your system.The 5-20 LRH is the first rifle scope built specifically to take advantage of a long range hunting situation,and the first and only scope with patent pending windage compensation technology-anyone shooting at extended to long range in hunting conditions without windage compensation is just guessing.
REQUIRED TOOLS FOR COLLECTING CORRECT DATA.
1.Chronograph
2.Anemometer
3.Barometer
4.Altimeter
5.Thermometer
6.GPS
This is the data needed to get your customized turret for your Huskemaw scope.
1.BULLET WEIGHT(grains)
2.Chronographed velocity(average of 5 shots;DO NOT USE PUBLISHED DATA IMPORTANT.
3.Temperature from the test site.
4.Altitude and/or atmospheric pressure(from the test site)
5.From a 200 yard zero,the actual bullet drop in MOA from two distances(mid and long range ie; 500 yards and 1000 yards;400 yards and 800 yards).The furthest long and mid range drop information form your load provides the most accurate data.
This is also very important for your custom turret or knob.BESIDES THE DATA GATHERED AT THE TEST SITE,YOU MUST ALSO PROVIDE THE TEMPERATURE AND ELEVATION OF YOUR INTENDED HUNT LOCATION(If different than your test location)This is when if needed could purchase a couple different knobs for different hunting locations so your scope will be very accurate.
I use a instrument that is made by Kestrel products that can provide most of the atmospheric data required.
When gathering your data above choose a day with little or no wind to minimize windage hold.Using a steady bench and gun rest,you will want to zero your rifle at 200 YARDS.You can set up your chronograph and record the average velocity while shooting to zero.When rifle is zeroed,Adjust your index ring snugly and lock it in.Set up a target at mid range,shoot a minimum of three rounds.Adjust your elevation as needed until your group center is the correct elevation for the distance.Follow the DVD instructions that your scope comes with for finding group center.Record the setting in MOA or Clicks.Repeat the process for your long range target.Using your instrument(s),gather your atmospheric data.Record your bullet caliber,weight and ballistic coefficient(BC).If you do not know your bullets BC,that information can be found in teh reloading manuels and bullet manufacturers catalogs.At this point you should have all your test data.If you can view the DVD,group center can be calculated as follows:
1.Measure all bullet holes in a group from center of hole to the vertical line.
2.Add all distances for a total in inches.
3.Divide the total by the number of holes in the group.
You now have the group distance from the vertical line.
4.Do the 3 steps above for the horizontal line.Now you have the group distance from the horizontal line.
5.Using both the measurements(horizontal and vertical),mark your true group center.
Once this has been completed you can submit your DATA if you have access to a computer and dvd player follow the instructions watching the DVD.For those that do not have access to a computer fill in the scope Data sheet that comes in owners manuel and mail it to the address provided.Do not forget to submit your hunting atmospheric data along with your test data.
Once your new turret or custom scope knob arrives set your rifle on a cleaning vise or bench.Make sure the turret is at the zero position then un-screw the original turret screw,remove the original turret,position your customized turret in place assuring your zero placement and replace the turret screw.
This is an example of my 7MM Rem mag.
My BC is 0.6430
Sight height 2
Velocity 2961
Altitude for my hunting turret 5730
pressure 24.05
Temp 52
Humidity 100
Your custom turret will be etched to tell what your bullet is grains and will have marks on the side for yardages.
My turret starts at 200 yards zero.
300 yards path -5.8 inches clicks on turret 6
400 yards path -16.8 inches clicks on turret 12
500 yards path -33.3 inches clicks on turret 19
600 yards path -55.9 inches clicks on turret 27
700 yards path -85.2 inches clicks on turret 35
800 yards path -121.8inches clicks on turret 44
900 yards path -166.5 inches clicks on turret 54
Your custom turret will also have marks for say you range your game at 375 yards you can click to 375 yard marks on your scope quick no counting clicks so this can be adjusted quick.
Now for you guys with custom rifles that will shoot much faster than my 7MM your knob can be made to shoot even farther distances but to tell you the truth I dont like shooting over 500 yards on game and it must be fairly calm at that, some can and do shoot farther but I dont like to 500 is plenty far for me but shooting out to 1000 yards on milk jugs or targets sure makes fun practice and will give the confidence you need on the 500 yard and closer shots.Make sure you can get your rifle shooting the best groups possible with your hunting bullet choice.If it takes slowing your rifle down a little for tighter groups or experimenting different powders and loads do this first before gathering your data for your custom turret.I think each turret can run around 100.00
If you have anymore questions e-mail the guys at thebestofthewest.net they also make custom rifles now with these scopes all set up with custom ammo for guys that just like to have everything set up to go and do not load this makes it easy.Your rifle would be set up and tested with the scope on it.The only thing you would need to do is request turrets for different elevations and hunting conditions that would fit your needs its that easy.
Hope this answers some questions some of you have.

LAST EDITED ON May-23-08 AT 12:41PM (MST)[p]If you plan to shoot long distance then learn to use the click values and you will never look back...

One giant problem with a ballistic cam, custom reticule or custom drop turrets is that they are only accurate under one exact set of parameters period. If you change ammo or the altitude, humidity, barometric pressure, temperature, wind velocity full value, half value, wind lift, ect, ect, ect, Hell even your latitude and longitude due to the Coriolis effect will affect your impact point. I would like to try one of there scopes however, I will just have mine set to the 1/4min values with 1 MOA references on a turret style scope.

Justin Richins
R&K Hunting Company Inc.
www.thehuntingcompany.com

LAST EDITED ON May-23-08 AT 03:38PM (MST)[p]ce61,
I will tell you how my windage compensation works when it gets real windy, I try and sneak in for a close shot.
I was testing my hash marks on my horizontal line in my scope last year at 600 yards with around a 10mph crosswind coming from 3oclock when using the second mark over on 20 power was doing fairly well but that was just shooting targets.I feel I need to have fairly calm conditions to be shooting real far on game.Some guys can just plain shoot doesnt matter wind,rain,snow,sleet ect.. but when the wind is on I will always try and sneak in for a closer shot its just to dang risky.Other than maybe coyotes and rattlesnakes.he he
You would need to ask the guys at Huskemaw or thebestofthewest they can explain the windage adjustment alot better than I can.

I'm good to 500 yards without any turrets or reticles. After reading the posts, I think the Leupold BDC will work for me. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom