Hunting with a kid

Torq

Well my oldest is 9 years old now and I promised he could come with me on my Utah general muzzleloader deer hunt starting next week. I am, of course, excited to have him with me, sharing in one of my favorite things, but also anxious at how well he will handle camping and hiking. Just wondering how you all have seen success in bringing young ones hunting.

Additionally I haven't shot a buck in years as I have not been able to find anything that I thought would be what I wanted to put my tag on. If it is your first time taking out a young kid, do you lower your standards to just come home with any buck, or do you still try and hold out for a more mature buck?

A few things can help...

Don't make it a long slog of hiking unless you are after an animal and he knows it.
I agree with making sure you have his favorite snacks/drinks readily available.
Make your standards, his standards. If you lay eyes on a buck and you say, "there's a buck!" and the first words out of his mouth are, "shoot it!" I'd say shoot it. If its a yearling or 2 point, maybe you can also explain youd like to find a bigger one. He might latch on to that and thereafter he'll ask "is it a bigger one?"
Lastly, listen to him if he has to take breaks, use the bathroom, eat, etc... make it comfortable as can be.

Good luck buddy!

Remember his toes and fingers get cold, even if yours don’t. Make sure he stays comfortable and has a runibic cube to play with, when he gets bored. Depending on the child, some loose interest in waiting for action…… quicker than others. You know your son best………

One of the greatest things for me was when my son got old enough to come with me. He was 6 and now he's 17. He lives for being my hunting partner and we've had some amazing times together. This fall will be his last hunt with me for a couple of years. Soak up every minute because it goes fast.

Started my kids out at the age of 4. Now both of my daughters are die hards. They look forward to this time of year.
Key is make sure they have an enjoyable time! If you want them to continue to bring them along.
Warm clothing
Plenty of snacks
Slower and shorter than normal hikes.
They will be noisy so you just have to expect that and teach them as they go.
Sometimes the size of animal you take doesn’t matter. The experience is what matters
No I don’t even pack a rifle. I let my kids dictate what we are doing and I enjoy it more now than when I was solo trophy hunting lol.
Good luck!

Lots of good advice already posted, but involve him in the decision making process throughout the hunt. Where do we camp? Where do we sit? Where should we glass? When do we get up and move? Should we check wind direction? When should we eat? Obviously you can influence the decision, but let him be involved.

If you spot a deer, let him find it "first." You may have to coach him into position, but you get the point.

And finally, if it is a spike or small forkhorn, explain the game management principle of letting them grow up. But, otherwise, lower your standards...a lot. The memories and pride of field dressing and packing out a small deer with your son will far outweigh the decision to pass on a marginal buck.

Good luck and post some pics!

Good on you Dad!! Solid tried and trued advise above!! Enjoy instilling a dream with your son. I've poisoned my boys too and worth every bit of effort. Now they drive me. Love it!

Snacks, water, and patience. I’ve been taking my 9 year old when he wants since he was 5. I don’t change my standards for shooting. I would like if he grows up seeing me restrain myself, maybe he will do the same.

As far as keeping up hiking every kid is different but mine will do circles around me at my hardest pace. If they can’t you just have to adjust a bit. I used to over think it but really it’s no big deal. And it will build awesome memories.

Man great advice from all. Thank you.

I picked up some binos for him a couple weeks back and he has been playing with those already and is super pumped. We made the shopping list last night for groceries, and I am sure no one will starve on this trip. We may need some insulin for all the sugar, but no one will be hungry.

Maybe you already do this, but when I was young, my dad would constantly take me out hunting rabbits and prairie dog shooting. I think that’s a good way to introduce a young kid to the hobby. Big game hunting is real cool but all of the in between pays off big time. Hunting rabbits teaches focus and marksmanship. Not a lot of pressure there like big game so it makes it fun and when big game hunts come around, the fundamentals are known. Stuff like wind and using optics and other things. My dad was always down to go out and do those sorts of things. Sometimes multiple times a week for just a few hours up to all day long. Once I was able to go poopy by myself, I went everywhere with him.

My son took to duck hunting when he was young because there was some good fast action, at least early in the morning, and then we go back to camp and eat a good breakfast with french toast, bacon and juice, then take a good nap. He did not really like the big game hunting when he was really young, but it was something he grew into when he got a bit older. My advice would be to keep the big game hunts short, especially if they appear to be getting bored with it. It doesn’t mean they will never like hunting. If the big game hunting doesn’t go well, maybe try duck or pheasant, even if you need to go to a game farm or participate in a youth duck or pheasant hunt.

Never to young to start building their love for the outdoors. My boy killed his first buck this year and was stocked, I had him on his first antelope hunt before he turned a year old. As they get older it get tougher to complete with video games, cell phones, girls, sports, etc. so enjoy it while it lasts.

44A36663-214C-45AA-B102-9FD1411E036C.jpeg

C1E2128C-C717-4D81-8941-8964171BD341.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom