Hunting vs Live Target Practice?

This has been beat to death and I'm afraid the milk has already been spilled. But....

The guy brings up some good points. Part of it is that he misses the old days like me. It's an age thing that happens to all of us but I believe hunting is getting out of hand.

I remember the very first "bow season" in California. Me and my buddy were about the only one's on the mountain. Wooden long bows, and cedar arrows. We never came close to killing a buck, and didn't figure we would. It was all about acting like a Indian Brave:) All our friends thought we were a little strange.

Then came compound bows that you sight like a rifle and the sport exploded. Then came "bow hunters" riding in the bed of a pickup while the driver covered as much ground as possible road hunting looking for that unsuspecting buck standing along side the road. Yeah, that's the spirit of the bow hunting tradition. Not.

Looking back, there should never be a special season for archery or muzzy. A two week season and use the weapon of your choice.

They regulate shotguns for hunting. No more that 3 shells, no bigger than 10 Ga. shot size is regulated and must be loose in the shell. Nobody has died yet.

Ever notice how the game of professional baseball has pretty much remained the same over the years? Just because you can build a baseball bat that you could bunt a baseball 400' doesn't mean you should. I don't know why they didn't do something similar with hunting.

Eel

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

>I don't know why they
>didn't do something similar with
>hunting.
>
>Eel
>
>Nobody goes there anymore. It's too
>crowded.
>
>
>

This topic has been beaten up pretty hard so thanks for stiring the pot again LBH!!:)

I believe there should be more restrictions on means of harvest weapons. What would happen if they would put scope restrictions on rifle seasons? Or IBO limitations on archery? Or require more traditional muzzies? Rules were created for games such as baseball to keeps the sport fair and on an even keel against your opponent. Not the case with hunting.

Taking a step back could propel us forward.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Well I read most of it and definitely agree with eel. It seems that when the F&G depts. started all the early seasons, late seasons and then landowner tags the deer hunting quality went down. They are hunted from Aug.through December. When is it enough? One of the things where I don't agree with the author is his opinion on only killing the bigger bucks. Why can't we kill a fork horn if we are happy with it. I personally have ate tag soup on numerous occasions but it was my choice and I don't want to make someone feel bad if they go out and kill something legal. Hunting to me is more about the time in the field and with those I want to be there with, than it is about killing. One of the funnest hunts I've ever been on was when all the younger guys killed small bucks. They would have loved to kill a monster but were happy with what they got. It was a blast.

I read the first book he and his brother wrote....big influence on a young man. He's still makin sense to an older man today!

I suppose that being in the over 50 club makes it easy for me to agree with most of his sentiments. I do believe that many will never know some of the more subtle and abstract experiences that enriches the hunting experience. Too much promotion to keep people stuck in the limiting out and even trophy stages.

Awesome article. I wonder how long it will be before people start criticizing him for being right.

Yep, pretty good article. I too am in the over 50 club so I can relate on most points of the author. Hunting is definitely a very personal thing, but I fear too much emphasis is placed on the 'destination' rather than the journey.

There's a reason momma made you eat your vegetables! It works for mule deer too, just ask me how!

Amen Mr Wensel, Amen!

I've said it many times, "I love hunting but I hate the "business" that hunting has become".

As a member of the 50's club,for over a decade now, I've seen the changes creep into the sport. Gone are the days of "have a great hunt" and now are the days of "shoot a big one and get back to your silicone chew-toy as quick as possible".

I've seen it all turn from the "adventure" to the "inches" and I'm saddened by what I see.

Thanks LBH, you're a keeper!

Zeke

being a younger generation hunter (26) i dont know the "good ole days". but i pride my self in not getting involved in the long range stuff. ya i know my gun can do it. but i choose not to. its the HUNT that i like. the closeness, the adrenaline, the challenge. he put it very well when he said lets put the HUNT back in HUNTING. i really like the article, i thought he expressed his concerns very well.

"Shoot Straight"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom