Hunting Tips ? ? ?

• Thread starter coolspringoutfitters
  • Start date
C

coolspringoutfitters

Just wondering what are some tips or advice you'd give a new hunter? Example: I carry eye drops just in case I get dust in my eyes or I have problems with them focusing... What about you?

CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

CARRY CHAINS,GET A WINCH, GET A GOOD MAP, DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING AN OUTFITTER HAS TO SAY,DO YOUR HOMEWORK, LET PEOPLE KNOW WHERE YOUR HUNTING & WHEN YOU WILL RETURN, HUNT FROM A EQUIPMENT LIST, DRAW UP YOUR HUNT EQUIPMENT LIST CAREFULLY, TAKE CARE OF YOUR HUNTING VEHICLE, TALK TO EXPERIENCED HUNTERS & PICK THEIR BRAINS, LEARN TO DO YOUR OWN SCOPE MOUNTING & GUN WORK, SHOOT ONE GUN & LOAD AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, FIND RELIABLE HUNTING PARTNERS, BE FLEXIBLE, WATCH YOUR EQUIPMENT...PEOPLE WILL STEAL IT, BE POSITIVE, BRING ALONG A LOT OF DETERMINATION, ALWAYS HAVE BEER & SODA IN CAMP FOR THOSE WHO DROP BY, HELP THOSE IN NEED (FLAT TIRE, STUCK,BROKE DOWN)....YOU MAY NEED HELP AT ANY GIVEN TIME YOURSELF, ALWAYS BE FRIENDLY, OBEY THE LAW, WEAR LEGGINS...RATTLERS BITE, ENJOY THE SUN UPS & SUNDOWNS, IF IN DOUBT....START A CAMP FIRE, MORE TO COME............YD.

+1 on the beer & YD info.
I must inquire though about your ID.

You indicate you are a new hunter yet you idenify yourself as coolspringsoutfitters so what's up with that? Usually someone with that type of an ID is a professional hunter. Are you fish'n for information...or just board during the off season?

))))......>

Trophy,
I didn't say I was a new hunter, I asked what advice you'd give to a new hunter... I was just trying to see what others use out there that I could use myself... I went on a couple of out of state hunts this year (I'm in Utah) and it was interesting to see what others in my group brought that I had never though of. So I guess I'm doing some fishing... And I'm bored :)

CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

scout
glass
pack more water than you think
carry a lighter, matches and a mag stick
glass
glass more
eat good
get alot of sleep
shoot straight
have fun
glass

You got a PHD, player haters degree.
Team_UNC

Always take extra contacts, and make sure they're not dried out.

I lost a contact this year (blew right out of my eye), I thought I was prepared with extras, but when I opened them...all dried out. Ya, kick in the butt. Got to work, but always have extras.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

perhapts the most important things...
toilet paper
sharp knives (5 minimum) good hand saw
good shoes

You got a PHD, player haters degree.
Team_UNC

allways take good wiskey. if you have that; every bodyelse will come up with what ever you might have forgot....

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-10 AT 02:31PM (MST)[p]Don't carry toilet paper. It is too fragile for those early morning outings when its not quite light. I always carry paper towel. Those blue ones are absolutely great. Strong and soft. Always carry some moist wipes in a baggie. Great for personal hygiene and nice to have for wiping away dust on a sweaty face.
Carry some extra clothes in the truck, from skin layers out to an extra coat. You never know when you might end up wet, either from mother nature or from sweating. Extra socks and different foot wear can be a mighty welcome comfort change. I always carry an extra bullet or two somewhere in my pack or in a pocket. Buy some kind of bullet pouch or small pouch of some kind that can be mounted (attached) to your gun. Put your licenses, conservation card, hunter safety card, permission slips etc. in this pouch. You will never have to worry if you forgot something important at home. If you're driving out for a morning hunt, leave at an odd time, 15 to, or 15 after, and always leave about one half hour to an hour earlier than you think is necessary. Odd times will keep you out of a dusty line going up an old dirt road. Leaving early will put you ahead of the crowd and give you time to change a flat tire or whatever fate might throw at you. It's not always best to have the sun at your back. Just after sun up and especially just before sun down can be a great time to look in the direction of the sun. A gray mule deer's hide reflects sunlight almost like glass. You can catch the flashes as they move, especially in sage brush. That's enough for now.

DO NOT CARRY TOILET PAPER OR PAPER TOWELS!!!

You need to use baby wipes. that way, you won't get any dingle berries if you're hunting with out a shower for a 5+ day huting trip.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-10 AT 04:20PM (MST)[p]Thought of another one that you guys will think is crazy. To avoid that troublesome raspy, itchy, burning butt feeling swab your crotch, butthole included, with extra strength Gold Bond Lotion each morning after you shower. At first you think, "What the hell did I just do!! It feels like someone shoved an ice cube up your tail end. In a few seconds things settle down and it is absolutely refreshing. Some of my friends thought I was nuts but after they tried it, they are dedicated believers. I know most of you have had raspy asspy and this puts the fire out "right now".

Please tell us your motto is not "what happens in the bush stays in the bush" too? I about wet my pants reading that!!!

OK CSO, I re-read your post more carefully. I guess I'm getting a little older and slower this time of year....and every year#

I don't think it has been mentioned but I would also ask your clients if they are on medications. To make sure they have plenty for the trip as well as for them to disclose any possible medical problems so they don't get you jammed up down in some steep canyon and you have to haul them out. May not be items brought to camp but may help someday if you do not already have that on a check list.

Everyone above has put together quite a list...not much missing, beer is covered, good whiskey, I guess make sure you tell them to bring some cash for a nice tip...:)

Merry Christmas

TrophyHunter

))))......>

Important things that haven't been mentioned yet that I always carry: about 50 ft. of fishing line for emergency and survival situations, and pepto bismol chewable tablets. Both items are small, and could save your hunt.

Look both ways before crossing the street if you get hit by a car these hunting tips won't do you a damn thing. Oh and don't piss off people who handle your food. Hope these help;)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-10 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-10
>AT 04:20?PM (MST)

>
>Thought of another one that you
>guys will think is crazy.
>To avoid that troublesome raspy,
>itchy, burning butt feeling swab
> your crotch, butthole included,
>with extra strength Gold Bond
>Lotion each morning after you
>shower. At first you
>think, "What the hell did
>I just do!! It feels
>like someone shoved an ice
>cube up your tail end.
> In a few seconds
>things settle down and it
>is absolutely refreshing. Some of
>my friends thought I was
>nuts but after they tried
>it, they are dedicated believers.
>I know most of you
>have had raspy asspy and
>this puts the fire out
>"right now".

lol may rss off.THAT IS A CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUTT SO TRUE! !SELL GOLD BOND IN A CAMO CAN OR TUBE AND MAKE A FORTUNE. PRIMOS LOOK OUT!!!!!

rub your crotch, legs, underarms and butt with ground-up sage bush leaves to mask your scent...

+1 on the baby wipes, much better than tp or paper towels!! In my pack i have a couple of other things that some dont or havent mentioned. One of those cable saws that have the circle ends, asprin or tylenol, a little bit of electrial tape wrapped around the tylenol bottle, a few hard candy like butterscotch, to keep your stomach fooled into not being empty just in case you break you leg and your stuck out there all night. Pencil and a little bit of paper, to write goodbye to everybody just in case it gets real bad! A Swiss army knife, has everything you might need, like a toothpick, tweezers etc. One of those aluminum foil like blankets, only weighs like an ounce or less, marker tape, visene, alkaseltzer. Ace bandage, couple of bandaids. All of this plus lots more takes up very little room, about the size of a crown royal bag. and i always carry a few black powder pellets to help in building that fire in case it wet or cant find something that burns easily.

I Carry Duct Tape.I can't tell you how many times it's saved my bacon.As a bandage to repairing a boot,tapeing tent poles together,leaking radiator hoses ect.

ROUND #2.....LIKE WAS SAID....JUMPER CABLES/TOOLS, DUCT TAPE,WIPES, TALC POWDER, DR.SCHOALS INSERTS, SHOOTING STIX,A CREDIT CARD, CELL PHONE, SLIME & COMPRESSOR FOR TIRES, SURVIVAL GEAR.........THAT OUTTA DO IT..........YD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom