Hunting on or near state lines

G

gaetz

I've heard that fencelines (and GPS's for that matter) aren't always spot on and are therefore, not totally reliable. For those of you who hunt close to state lines, what do you do to ensure you are on proper side?

TRH

I don't. If it's good enough for the guy on the other side, it's good enough for me.
I hunt next to a fence on occasion and they're a lot meaner than any State Cop or rancher.

Lots of good reasons to hunt along boundries of any kind, (state, private, etc,) 1. No hunting going on across the fence. It becomes a safe heaven for critters. They roam at night and you may catch them on the right side of the fence. A deer hunt my be going on across the fence, you are hunting elk, (or opposite) all those hunters on the other side of the fence are now working for you, possibly pushing what you are looking for right to you. Many people are not comfortable with hunting borders for the reasons you mentioned. This only makes less pressure and better hunting. If you are hunting along a private boundry on which hunting is limited or prohibited, the is a great chance you can run into a big old buck that found himself on the wrong side of the fence. Just be prepared to show you know where you are in case you do get checked.

I'd be damn careful!

Most Game Wardens pack better GPS than most of us!

The imaginary borders make it tough!

There used to be a little more give than what there is today!

Just because it isn't Fenced doesn't give you the right to cross the line!

That's one thing I don't care for in Colorado,their properties are all chopped up,USFS,BLM,STATE,PRIVATE,oh did I mention there's PUBLIC too!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

Most GPS equipment is good enough nowadays that it is accurate to less than 20 feet and most will tell you how close it is reading at any particular time.

Today's GPS's should be way more accurate than 200 yards (600 ft), so use that as your buffer. That way you can shoot in more than one direction too.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

used the state maps on a garmin this fall and they had just redone and moved the highway. the maps lined right up with thesurvey pins pounded in the ground. i was very much impressed.

Couple of years back the Garmin 530 HCX that I was using kept me from getting a ticket because the GW heard us discussing the Stateline and how I was trying to stay away from it and not cross it and how the GPS told us we was 120ft from the line, He told me if you was trying that hard to stay on the right side of the line, You are fine.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

We hunt the Yellowstone Park boundary in Wyoming and it is marked fairly well, but there is one spot where there are 2 sets of signs with one being about 100 yards from the other. It is down in a deep canyon and can get pretty tricky as you go over some of the side slopes.

We've mentioned it to park rangers before and they said they knew about it but would need to get survey equipment down there to figure out which marking was the correct one.

We always try to be at least 100 yards on the right side of the markers, supposedly there are park rangers who actually sit and watch the boundary.

One story I heard was that a guy shot an elk clearly on the right side of the boundary but it ran into the park before dying. A park ranger witnessed it and made the guy punch his tag but wouldn't let him go get the elk that was now on national park property. Not sure if the story is true or not, but I for sure will aim for the front shoulders to put them down on the spot if I ever end up seeing one anywhere near the boundary.

I would of told that park ranger to get bent...if he resisted I would of sued his butt for wanton waste...

Just as with private land, in most cases it's your responsibility to know where you are. I hunt/hike in areas with a lot of chopped up boundaries that aren't marked. Between a GPS and a good map, I've been able to steer clear of boundaries. It's true that our GPS's are only good to about 20 ft, but if you use that GPS along with a good map, it's usually possible to get fairly accurate. One thing I do is pre-mark my maps before I go into the area, as well as pre-marking GPS coordinates of specific points along a boundary. In many places in the west, the country is broken enough to make it relatively easy to recognize boundaries based off of a topographical map. The bottom line: If you hunt along any boundary, don't ever shoot if there is doubt about which side of the fence you are on!

Yep, I agree, and I could have written your post because that is exactly what I do! As far as that Park Ranger story, I doubt that it's true because you have to take possession of an animal before you can legally tag it and the Ranger would have no powers off the Park property. If he tried it, I would tell him to go jump in the ocean or something to that effect, LOL!!!

A couple years ago I was scouting/learning roads on the Pauns, and one day was checking out the Arizona border. Just out cruising around checking maps once in a while pretty much lost. So I decided to dig out the GPS, and check out the coordinates on the map. I was blown away, I was six miles into Arizona, good thing the hunt was not on.

>
>One story I heard was that
>a guy shot an elk
>clearly on the right side
>of the boundary but it
>ran into the park before
>dying. A park ranger
>witnessed it and made the
>guy punch his tag but
>wouldn't let him go get
>the elk that was now
>on national park property.
>Not sure if the story
>is true or not, but
>I for sure will aim
>for the front shoulders to
>put them down on the
>spot if I ever end
>up seeing one anywhere near
>the boundary.

What a crock! That guy should have got a gamey out there on site ASAP (assuming the gamey would have straightened out the Park Ranger)! Its so irritating when people abuse their power!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom