Hunting in Idaho

R

Remmington_30_06

I would like to hunt in Idaho with my Dad and some family but i am unfamlair with the way the Idaho Department of Fish and Game does thing as far as drawing your hunt choices. I know some of the basics that idaho seems to be a pure luck drawing system so there are no preference points given if you dont draw. What units do I stand a good choice in drawing either Elk or Deer? Basicaly I am looking for some advice on where a some good units are to try and draw a non residence elk or deer tag from? I live in Oregon but my family all live in Idaho. Any help would be appreciated

first, if all your family lives in Idaho, you should talk with them. They prolly know the rules.

Second, you don't have to draw anything to hunt Idaho. You can just get a license and tag for what ever unit you want to hunt and come over. (provided there is a general season in that unit) Most units have a general season, but there are a few that do not. Those are the ones that have a draw. For that, you just go to put in and see how it goes. It is a good idea to have a back up plan in a general unit.

Spingbear is absolutely right.

As I said on the thread about why non-residents don't want to hunt Idaho (don't disagree with most of what was said), it is VERY possible to shoot mature bulls and bucks in Idaho with OTC tags on public property. (We are 77% public.)

Advice....get any place away from the road and be prepared for BIG and STEEP mountains for three or four days. It is PHYSICALLY demanding but they are here.

Your deer tag will double as a lion tag and I'd strongly suggest buying a wolf tag.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I understand about getting my family involved but I wanted other people perspective as i don't my family goes into great detail about where to hunt. They like the spots they have been to before. I am not all about going to Idaho to get a BIG buck or bull I just want to hunt in a unit that has good numbers or either. I also just want to enjoy hunting with my Dad.

Call or PM me, if you'd like. Idaho has more public-land OTC-tags than most understand. You can all hunt every year. You can all have a real chance at a good buck every year. BUT...

BUT is illustrated by unit 39...near Boise. It has a lot of deer but a horrible buck-to-doe ratio. There are a lot of places to drive and camp and thousands do. It's also got some very remote, very physically-demanding back country. A few of those who climb far enough and high enough will get a BIG buck every year.

The problem is, we have HUGE mountains and a LOT of territory that MUST be hunted by foot or horseback. The units with lots of roads, where it's a "fun hunt with the family" are.........

I'll be more than glad to "telephone guide".

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-11 AT 06:49PM (MST)[p]Hey gb, I hunt a very roaded unit and the quality of deer is as good as I have ever seen it in my short 21 years of life! 8 ) All I can say is look at harvest data and do some homework and you could have some great huntin in Idaho. Atleast until the wolves wipe out everything that is... ; )

I have a LOT more than 21 years of hunting experience. While I firmly believe there are big deer in "them thar hills", it is a simple fact, the population (big deer numbers, too) is WAY down. We simply have too many dogs and cats.

gb hands out some great advice almost always, but his advice on Idaho is well worth listening to. He doesn't have a problem helping others out like some you might run into on MM. I'd take him up on his offer and PM him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom