hunting food

H

hunter83

I am planning on going on a elk hunt in the backwoods and just planning on what i should take to eat. I plan on getting pretty far in the woods so with your help please give me some recommendations on what to take for meals or whatever. I know it's kind of a weird questions but i just want some ideas. Any suggestions would be great.

These are some of the things that I have found to like while backpacking.

Breakfast ideas: Instant oatmeal with raisins (little baggies of powdered dried milk), any high protein bar with dried fruit

Lunch: Tuna pouches with cheese and pita bread for lunch. Summer sasauge, cheese and crackers for lunch. I have also eaten kipper snacks and sardines with crackers (Love them but hate the smell afterwards). Sounds kinda nasty but peanut butter honey and bacon sandwiches are pretty tasty....I premake and vaccuum pack them and they can last a week to a week and a half in a hot temps. They are high in protein and calories. Smoked fish with pita bread.

Dinners: I like the freeze dried meals. I personally like the mountain house meals. Freeze dried soups are awesome....they are warm and rehydrate your body after a hard days hunt.

Snacks between meals or suppliment with meals: JERKY!, trail mix (assorted nuts, dried fruit, chocolate), Jolly ranchers and worthers originals<-----these are a must haha, Snickers bars, granola bars or protein bars.

The last trip I went on I also did this: Pour 2 Instant Breakfasts packets and about 1/2 cup powdered milk in a quart size freezer type sealable baggie. When you're ready to use it, just pour in the same amount of water that comes in a typical bottled water. Seal it, slosh it around to mix it up, then open about a 1 inch hole in the top seal, stick a straw in and sip away. Everything used is very lite weight and easily burns up or packs out.

Take a mountain house pasta primavera for two and then add a foil packet of sweet and spicey tuna when you add the water to the foil pouch.

you'll think you are at a church potluck eating tuna hotdish, with a little spice.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-12 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]Breakfast - pop tarts or instant oatmeal.

Snacks and lunch - jerky, nut mix (macadamia nuts, brazil nuts, peanuts and pecans are all very high calorie/weight ratio).

I prefer the Pro Bars to the cliff bars - 400 + calories per.

Dinner - Mountain House is good, but check out also Backpackers Pantry and Mary Jane's for some good other options. The naked burrito by mary jane's is tasty and very filling. All 3 can be found at REI or online.

GADZOOKS......! Now I remember why I quit going on overnight backpack trips!

People in Auschwitz ate better than you guys!

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Heater MRE's: open up the MRE and take out all that crap you dont need. Just take the heater pouch/box and the entree. No stove, no fuel, no plates/bowls, just carry a plastic fork/spoon.

I always carry some trail mix that includes MM & MM's and dried fruit and nuts,Zone Bars or Cliff Bars, Emergency C powder, and Jerky. A baggie full will last all day and have enough left over for an emergency ration if you have to spend the night. Don't forget some way to purify water.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom