Hunting Expo Partners Report $6M+ Conservation Successes of 10th Anniversary Event

Founder

Founder Since 1999
I got this email today for MDF.

Hunting Expo Partners Report $6M+ Conservation Successes of 10th Anniversary Event

Salt Lake City ? Wednesday, March 2, 2016 ?

The Western Hunting and Conservation Expo (WHCE) partners released information on the successes of the 2016 WHCE event, which exceeded previous records for attendance and donations raised for Utah wildlife conservation topping 40,000 attendees and $6 million in wildlife conservation donations.

The success of the WHCE makes it the largest non-profit fundraiser in the state. Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife (SFW) and the Mule Deer Foundation (MDF) partnered in presenting the 10th Annual WHCE event held last month, a gathering that is also becoming one of the most important annual events for the protection and enhancement Utah?s diverse wildlife and habitats.

One of the primary attractions to the WHCE is 200 special Utah hunting permits available to the public for a $5 application fee each. The $5 drawing alone raised more than $1 million for Utah conservation this year. One dollar and fifty-cents of each $5 application fee is retained for the Utah Division of Wildlife and its wildlife conservation programs, and $3.50 evenly split between SFW and MDF, all of which is used to bolster wildlife conservation throughout the state of Utah benefitting multiple species. This commitment to utilize 100% of the application fee revenue to support Utah Conservation Initiatives included in the contract that SFW recently signed with the State to distribute expo permits from 2017 to 2021. We will annually disclose how these funds are utilized to benefit Utah wildlife.

Through evening auctions of Utah conservation tags, an additional $2.5 million was raised to support the Utah wildlife conservation efforts of SFW, MDF and the State of Utah. In the Friday night auction, the Antelope Island mule deer tag sold for a record-breaking $410,000.

?We applaud Utah lawmakers and our state wildlife agency for their vision in making these conservation permits and the two hundred permits available to our expo,? said SFW President Jon Larson. ?Without that support, this level of contribution from the hunting public simply would not be available to Utah?s wildlife conservation programs.?

SFW and MDF use their portion of the $5 application revenue to fund a wide variety of meaningful wildlife conservation projects in Utah. For example, SFW has invested nearly $300,000 of the application revenues in the past few years on youth outreach and pheasant augmentation programs. The group has also funded over $280,000 of a groundbreaking, multi-year study in partnership with Brigham Young University involving the capture, transplant and radio collaring of Utah mule deer along southern Utah?s Parowan Front. An ongoing $125,000 research study to determine causes and solutions to Utah?s dip in moose populations has also been funded using SFW?s portion of the $5 application revenues, as has a two-year water protection and storage program that is enabling wintering deer to survive on the trophy east Paunsaugunt unit of Southern Utah. Details of these and other projects funded with $5 application revenue, as well as SFW?s 990 tax audit reports, are available online at www.sfw.net.

MDF committed over $93,000 of $5 application funds in 2016 to habitat restoration and maintenance of wildlife projects located in all regions of Utah. MDF also uses the fee money to operate its highly successful M.U.L.E.Y. youth outreach program giving thousands of Utah youth exposure to and opportunity to participate in hunting and shooting sports. Both organizations fund over 30 ongoing annual habitat improvement projects that enhance critical habitat benefitting mule deer, elk, bighorn sheep and other species in Utah. One of the most high-profile of all Utah wildlife conservation projects partially funded through the application revenues is the urban mule deer translocation projects. Both SFW and MDF accept important responsibilities in these projects and provide much of the needed funding and volunteer labor in capturing, radio-collaring and transporting mule deer captured in Bountiful and the Parowan Front and releasing them at various locations in the Uintah Basin, northern and southern Utah.

These and other important projects funded with the $5 application revenues have contributed to Utah?s 2015 mule deer hunting season being the most successful in recent decades.

According to MDF President/CEO Miles Moretti, the WHCE partners also use their portion of the $5 application fee revenue in a collaborative and leveraged approach to implement real solutions to conservation challenges in the state of Utah. ?These funds are important to us and the state of Utah in that they enable us to support projects, programs and policies that are critical in making Utah?s unique conservation model function effectively. MDF believes in transparency and our current audited financials and 990?s are available on our website www.muledeer.org.?

The importance of this leveraged approach is measurable in the significant support the WHCE partners have provided to the State of Utah since the 200 Expo tags were first offered in 2007.

The WHCE partners have raised more money for conservation in Utah than any other hunting conservation groups combined. The WHCE partners account for over 86% of all of the direct conservation funding raised by the top five groups participating in Utah?s Conservation Permit Program. Since 2007 the partners have raised over $22 million in direct funding to the state of Utah, which represents the bulk of private funding for conservation programs in the state and nearly 10 times that of the next closest competitor.

?Money raised by the WHCE partners through the $5 application revenue is often leveraged or matched as high as 10-1 in current state programs,? Larson added. ?This approach has led to millions of dollars in on-the-ground habitat improvement projects since the expo began yielding critical benefits to the health and survival of Utah wildlife.?

Significant projects and programs funded by SFW and MDF?s portions of the $5 application revenues include but are not limited to the following:
1. The Utah Mule Deer Recovery Act
2. Transplanting and translocation of deer, moose, elk, bighorn, bison, turkeys,
antelope, mountain goats, fish, and other wildlife species
3. Advancing funding for programs to improve quality wildlife management
programs in the state
4. Highway underpasses for migrating deer, elk and wild sheep
5. Purchasing horse trailers and equipment for transplants and habitat projects.

A contract for the state?s 200 expo tags was recently awarded to SFW for use over the next five years in its annual WHCE events. As the WHCE continues to expand, SFW and MDF foresee expanded and even more significant results for wildlife conservation in Utah through the $5 application fee revenues. The conservation groups already work closely with their more than 31 chapters throughout the state in prioritizing and planning conservation projects and how monies will be invested on regional and local levels. Beginning in 2016-2017, the groups are initiating an even more intensely collaborative planning program with five or six major categories of conservation project categories that will enable a greater level of partnering between conservation organizations and state and federal wildlife agencies that will benefit Utah wildlife for the next generation. Reporting targeted expenditures to sportsmen and tracking results will also become more vigorous.

The WHCE is perhaps the most unique gathering of hunters from all socio-economic and diverse backgrounds in North America. It is also the fastest growing expo event for western hunters and represents the single greatest opportunity to raise funds for the benefit of Utah?s diverse wildlife and conservation programs.

Next year?s Western Hunting and Conservation Expo will be held again at the Salt Palace Convention Center in Salt Lake City February 16?19, 2017.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

RE: Hunting Expo Partners Report $6M+ Conservation Successes of 10th Anniversary Event

It's a gawd dang horse and pony show.
Nobody can show me where the money went. All this BS chat of the 100% of those expo tag revenue money being utilized to help fund conservation. Talk about money being leveraged blah, blah, blah.
There isn't a soul that can show me exactly where every penny was spent.
Don't expect me to believe that these conservation orgs don't make a killing off of this entire thing.

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

RE: Hunting Expo Partners Report $6M+ Conservation Successes of 10th Anniversary Event

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-16 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]

Man they sure are trying to smooth things over now. They either don't get that we wanna see the books. Or they think everyone will be impressed with 93000 out of a million going to habitat. This just makes me wanna pursue the previous years books even more

Thanks for posting that Brian. I posted that link in another thread. Do you know what SFW means when it say 100% of the application fees will be used for "wildlife conservation initiatives"? I guess we won't know until we see the contract recently signed by the dwr and the groups.

-Hawkeye-

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-16 AT 09:28AM (MST)[p]http://www.sfw.net/data/SFW-990-2013.pdf

If you look at their tax record for 2013.

SFW lost money on the expo. 1,205,581 gross income and 1,259,206 rent/facility losses. They lost 53K on the expo.

I would argue this is why they would not be a viable choice or they need to change the venue. 314k a day is Ludacris for a venue.

In 2013, they sent all of their 11 employees/agents/contractors to Whitehorse Canada for guided hunting tours costing 888k. They only have 10 employees listed and one contractor that makes more than the 10 employees combined. Don Peay Conulting 261k.

You spend close to 1/3 of your expenses or 1/4 of your income on Guided hunting tours outside of the country. This is a problem and an abuse of the Non Profit Designation.

They spent 1,138,797 of big game hunts and permits, 540,750 on landowner tags, 184,588 on big game habitat improvement, 106,431 on a mule deer study, 200k on deer transplants, 400k on permits payable, and 283,132 on other expenses.

If they made 2 million on the expo and divided it into 30% DWR, 30% MDF, 30% SFW, and 10% admin. They would have to spend 600k on conservation within a two year period. Given how they bank the money to make interest for two years, it is tough to see how they spend the money.

If they spent 106k MDS, 184k BGHI, 200k MDT, and 283 OE of the 2 million or so in 2011. Then they are spending the 30%. However, that should not excuse them for simply providing the minimum.

When you take into account they spent more on sending 11 people to Canada 888k and spent only 773k on conservation activities that is an issue.

How they can justify that is beyond me and IMO should strip them of the Non Profit Status for embezzling funds for group hunting endeavors for the members and 1 other person only.

This is the definition of corruption and should be stopped.

The tax form also shows the interest they made as well which was information I wasn't able to find. According to Utah Admin. Rule R657-55-10 (1)(a)

According to the tax return, they make approx 30-40k on the interest alone.

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

Dude-

Be careful about trying to read and understand a Form 990 tax Return. They are complex and difficult to understand. I am certainly not an accountant but I think some of your conclusions are probably off base. For instance, your comments about SFW taking 11 employees to Whitehorse Canada for guided hunts is perhaps misleading. I assume that you are referring to Schedule F in the Form 990. A google search shows that Schedule F is used to report activities conducted by the nonprofit outside the United States. Therefore, I am pretty sure that the information on Schedule F is SFW reporting on the business of Artic Red River Outfitters, which they own. I think the reference to 11 employees refers to the employees of ARRO. Once again, I could be completely wrong because I am not an accountant and do not work with non-profits.

Perhaps there is a CPA on this forum who could review SFW's Form 990 and share his opinions?

-Hawkeye-

>http://www.sfw.net/data/SFW-990-2013.pdf
>
>If you look at their tax
>record for 2013.
>
>SFW lost money on the expo.
>1,205,581 gross income and 1,259,206
>rent/facility losses. They lost 53K
>on the expo.
>
>I would argue this is why
>they would not be a
>viable choice or they need
>to change the venue. 314k
>a day is Ludacris for
>a venue.
>
>In 2013, they sent all of
>their 11 employees/agents/contractors to Whitehorse
>Canada for guided hunting tours
>costing 888k. They only have
>10 employees listed and one
>contractor that makes more than
>the 10 employees combined. Don
>Peay Conulting 261k.
>
>You spend close to 1/3 of
>your expenses or 1/4 of
>your income on Guided hunting
>tours outside of the country.
>This is a problem and
>an abuse of the Non
>Profit Designation.
>
>They spent 1,138,797 of big game
>hunts and permits, 540,750 on
>landowner tags, 184,588 on big
>game habitat improvement, 106,431 on
>a mule deer study, 200k
>on deer transplants, 400k on
>permits payable, and 283,132 on
>other expenses.
>
>If they made 2 million on
>the expo and divided it
>into 30% DWR, 30% MDF,
>30% SFW, and 10% admin.
>They would have to spend
>600k on conservation within a
>two year period. Given how
>they bank the money to
>make interest for two years,
>it is tough to see
>how they spend the money.
>
>
>If they spent 106k MDS, 184k
>BGHI, 200k MDT, and 283
>OE of the 2 million
>or so in 2011. Then
>they are spending the 30%.
>However, that should not excuse
>them for simply providing the
>minimum.
>
>When you take into account they
>spent more on sending 11
>people to Canada 888k and
>spent only 773k on conservation
>activities that is an issue.
>
>
>How they can justify that is
>beyond me and IMO should
>strip them of the Non
>Profit Status for embezzling funds
>for group hunting endeavors for
>the members and 1 other
>person only.
>
>This is the definition of corruption
>and should be stopped.

The information you have posted here is why I've been saying all along that they should not qualify as a 301(C)3 non profit organization and should be turned in to the IRS for a full audit/investigation of their previous years tax returns. If an auditor looked closely at these things you have mentioned my bet is there would be a good chance of them being stripped of that status.

Dear SFW/MDF, Thanks for stealing our LE tags and money at your BS convention. And the deer tag I would have drawn 8 years ago with my 19 cheapened points. Thanks so much for giving this worthless low life hillbilly a pheasant. I know I'm not worthy of it.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & SFWHate Club

>>http://www.sfw.net/data/SFW-990-2013.pdf
>>
>>If you look at their tax
>>record for 2013.
>>
>>SFW lost money on the expo.
>>1,205,581 gross income and 1,259,206
>>rent/facility losses. They lost 53K
>>on the expo.
>>
>>I would argue this is why
>>they would not be a
>>viable choice or they need
>>to change the venue. 314k
>>a day is Ludacris for
>>a venue.
>>
>>In 2013, they sent all of
>>their 11 employees/agents/contractors to Whitehorse
>>Canada for guided hunting tours
>>costing 888k. They only have
>>10 employees listed and one
>>contractor that makes more than
>>the 10 employees combined. Don
>>Peay Conulting 261k.
>>
>>You spend close to 1/3 of
>>your expenses or 1/4 of
>>your income on Guided hunting
>>tours outside of the country.
>>This is a problem and
>>an abuse of the Non
>>Profit Designation.
>>
>>They spent 1,138,797 of big game
>>hunts and permits, 540,750 on
>>landowner tags, 184,588 on big
>>game habitat improvement, 106,431 on
>>a mule deer study, 200k
>>on deer transplants, 400k on
>>permits payable, and 283,132 on
>>other expenses.
>>
>>If they made 2 million on
>>the expo and divided it
>>into 30% DWR, 30% MDF,
>>30% SFW, and 10% admin.
>>They would have to spend
>>600k on conservation within a
>>two year period. Given how
>>they bank the money to
>>make interest for two years,
>>it is tough to see
>>how they spend the money.
>>
>>
>>If they spent 106k MDS, 184k
>>BGHI, 200k MDT, and 283
>>OE of the 2 million
>>or so in 2011. Then
>>they are spending the 30%.
>>However, that should not excuse
>>them for simply providing the
>>minimum.
>>
>>When you take into account they
>>spent more on sending 11
>>people to Canada 888k and
>>spent only 773k on conservation
>>activities that is an issue.
>>
>>
>>How they can justify that is
>>beyond me and IMO should
>>strip them of the Non
>>Profit Status for embezzling funds
>>for group hunting endeavors for
>>the members and 1 other
>>person only.
>>
>>This is the definition of corruption
>>and should be stopped.
>
>The information you have posted here
>is why I've been saying
>all along that they should
>not qualify as a 301(C)3
>non profit organization and should
>be turned in to the
>IRS for a full audit/investigation
>of their previous years tax
>returns. If an auditor
>looked closely at these things
>you have mentioned my bet
>is there would be a
>good chance of them being
>stripped of that status.
+1

>Dear SFW/MDF, Thanks for stealing
>our LE tags and money
>at your BS convention.
> And the deer tag
>I would have drawn 8
>years ago with my 19
>cheapened points. Thanks so
>much for giving this worthless
>low life hillbilly a pheasant.
> I know I'm not
>worthy of it.
>