Hunting Emigrant Wilderness Zone D6

B

baychef

Hey all,

I'm heading back to Emigrant for the 2nd year now to hunt. Zone D6. Didn't have a lot of luck in 2011 hunting. We hunted the area right below Nightcap Peak. We had a great vantage point, but I think the lack of water on this side of the mountain, we didn't see much.

My dad has hunted the Nigtcap peak area for years, with great results. Typically, pack in a few days before the season opens, and the morning of, we would almost always see some large deer heading to the summit to get away from the hunters pushing them up.

This year, thinking about heading over more inland, towards Emigrant Lake.

Anyone have any experience hunting in this area? Thinking about Blackbird Lake, maybe Huckleberry lake also.

If anyone has experience, or insight, that would be awesome. Looking to bag a few bucks with my dad this year, and any helpful information would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Here's a few pics of our hunt area last year.

60324_432206151218_628736218_5120889_7483921_n.jpg

60324_432206141218_628736218_5120887_3490218_n.jpg

Great ambush spot!! just didn't see any bucks...

Baychef,

Welcome to MM! I live in northern CA so I know what state and wilderness area you are referring to in your post but many on this site will not. You may get better feedback if you post this on the CA forum. I hunt D5 so unfortunately I am of no help to you on this post. Nice pictures by the way...

Horniac

Hey Horniac,

Thanks! I'll try reposting in the CA section, and see what I get. Yea...D6 is quite a large area...and know there are some good bucks there.. I've heard the higher ground is best. I'm hoping, that if we can get into the back country a few days before the season opens, we can intercept some of the larger bucks heading to Northern Yosemite for a safe haven.

Thanks again!

Thanks Top Gun~! Such a friggin good spot! Gotta start planning on where I'm going to hunt this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom