Hunting D6 with Deer Blind

B

baychef

Hi,

Heading up to D6 this year with my dad, and wanted to know what people thought about bringing a blind with me? Something that would fit 2 people comfortably. He's been hunting in this area before for years, but thought a blind would be a good way to go? Maybe allow us to setup closer to the brush without being detected.

The land is pretty rough out there...lots of granite, with valleys of brush and trees.

Anyone have any experience using blinds up in the D6 area, near Emigrant Lake, Blackbird Lake, or Shallow Lake?

Just looking for some advice...

Thanks guys

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-12 AT 02:49PM (MST)[p]
BC IS TALKING ABOUT CALIFORNIA. BC YOU MIGHT WANT TO ALSO PUT THIS IN THE CALI SECTION IF YOU HAVE NOT AS OF YET...........YD.

The blind would work if you can locate some trails that the deer use on a daily basis to travel back and forth. I know one guy in D-3 that has been doing that for over 20 years and has had great sucess in getting his deer almost every year.
He uses a ground blind near where about 4 trails come together.

RELH

+1 on what RELH said regarding setting up in an area with an intersection of trails as well as a lot of fresh sign. Blinds do work as long as you have enough shootable game in the area. You also should consider in addition... Your committing and putting your D-6 hunting location/trip all in one basket. What I am saying is CA hunting isn't like other of states hunting. There is less game and personally I have hunted D-6 and liked to stay flexible in moving around finding the most active locations then maybe setting up behind some bushes, branches and or making a temporary blind out of folige etc. instead of humping in a manufactured box blind and totally committing to only one hunting spot. That way you can cover much more territory to find shootable game on public land ..Just My Opinion. Plus those box blinds need to be covered with some existing folige or they wil sick out as something not right to the deer.

Now If you do a scouting trip to the area say the weekend prior to your hunt and have a hot spot, trails, water, picked out that is active with fresh buck tracks now that is great... but if your going in cold turkey without a plan and wish to setup a blind your leaving a lot of country unhunted IMO. Also remember a camo blind doesn't make everything invisible to the game :) If you set up a blind make it well hidden in folige and out of sight of your shooting zone because deer will notice something different in the area that has just been set up and be spooked. Most blinds work best if the blind can be set up in advance so your game frequienting the area becomes comfortable seeing the blind prior to your hunting trip. Set the blind up in advance then go in.. in the dark and come out in the dark, no food with odors, unwrap all eats and put'm in zip lock bags, no velcro noises :) use Scent-Killer spray on everything for best descenting while hunting.

Good luck and good hunting :)

))))------->

>+1 on what RELH said regarding
>setting up in an area
>with an intersection of trails
>as well as a lot
>of fresh sign. Blinds do
>work as long as you
>have enough shootable game in
>the area. You also should
>consider in addition... Your committing
>and putting your D-6 hunting
>location/trip all in one basket.
>What I am saying is
>CA hunting isn't like other
>of states hunting. There is
>less game and personally I
>have hunted D-6 and liked
>to stay flexible in moving
>around finding the most active
>locations then maybe setting up
>behind some bushes, branches and
>or making a temporary blind
>out of folige etc. instead
>of humping in a manufactured
>box blind and totally committing
>to only one hunting spot.
>That way you can cover
>much more territory to find
>shootable game on public land
>..Just My Opinion. Plus those
>box blinds need to be
>covered with some existing folige
>or they wil sick out
>as something not right to
>the deer.
>
>Now If you do a scouting
>trip to the area say
>the weekend prior to your
>hunt and have a hot
>spot, trails, water, picked out
>that is active with fresh
>buck tracks now that is
>great... but if your going
>in cold turkey without a
>plan and wish to setup
>a blind your leaving a
>lot of country unhunted IMO.
>Also remember a camo blind
>doesn't make everything invisible to
>the game :) If you
>set up a blind make
>it well hidden in folige
>and out of sight of
>your shooting zone because deer
>will notice something different in
>the area that has just
>been set up and be
>spooked. Most blinds work best
>if the blind can be
>set up in advance so
>your game frequienting the area
>becomes comfortable seeing the blind
>prior to your hunting trip.
>Set the blind up in
>advance then go in.. in
>the dark and come out
>in the dark, no food
>with odors, unwrap all eats
>and put'm in zip lock
>bags, no velcro noises :)
>use Scent-Killer spray on everything
>for best descenting while hunting.
>
>
>Good luck and good hunting :)
>
>
>))))------->

I hunted D5 for years ang this is good advice. I had go to areas, but they depended on certain things, such as certain food sources, recent logging activity, etc that would change deer patterns locally.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom