Hunting/Conservation Organizations

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
I've been a member of a number of organizations and was curious about what other MM'ers here belong to.

While I think many here would say most don't do enough in their backyard, I wonder if you think the national presence is important, especially when dealing with issues at the federal/national level. I/E wolves, gun rights, etc.

The only ones i belong to are Ducks Unlimited and Elk Foundation. I would be very leary of anything affiliated to a so-called Sportsmann For Wildlife! We the only western state that does not have a points system,and the Utah and Wyoming "CONSERVATION GROUPS" would love to get a toe hold in Idaho!!

I've heard conflicting opinions on the group known as SFW.

I think you should go on to the General Hunting forum and post a topic there asking for people's opinion on them. You never know, you might get a couple of people to respond.

I am only interested on what the Idaho gang thinks on this topic. I want to know which organizations you guys like and why.

So how about the rest of you, not looking to start conflicts, just who you support.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-13 AT 08:25PM (MST)[p]None! elk foundation lost me along time ago on the wolf issue there's not much of a chance of gettin me back!

I would never belong to SFW, but have been thinking about Idaho mule deer alliance or what ever its called.

Chuck in Boise

RMEF,MDF, and local Sportsmen's clubs. Recently though I became an active member in The Foundation For Wildlife Management. This is an organization who's mission is to assist the Idaho Department of Fish and Game in the management of predators.

Last year this was a Panhandle Region organization that assisted in wolf harvest & was given credit by the regional big game biologist for an increase in harvest. Note that no other region in the state had an increase in harvest.(look at trapping harvest region by region on the IDFG site)

This year F4WM.COM is state wide. In one years time over 250 members have joined in this cause, and many more to come as word gets out.

Not only is F4WM making a difference in the field they have lobbied successfully for more liberal seasons and methods of take for predators.

I too have been a member of a few different organizations like RMEF, MDF, DU, IWA, BHA, and IDA. I would agree that many of the national organizations don't do enough in our backyard with regards to habitat or wildlife conservation. One of the reasons I feel the national organizations don't fare as well in Idaho is because 90% of the funds raised here through local chapters goes back to the national head quarters. Many of the organizations then allocate a small percentage back to the chapters for small projects.

I have left many of the organizations for that reason alone. Not to say that they don't do some great work throughout the country and help with sportsman's issues nation wide, but they are very biased toward certain states or projects. IMO.

So I now belong to RMEF, though they have some issues locally, and to Idaho Deer Alliance (IDA), which I happen to be on the board of directors. So here's my plug: IDA is local and strives to raise funds for local Idaho projects that help protect Idaho wildlife and habitat. Our main focus is on mule deer, but we try our best to benefit all wildlife whenever possible. All of the funds raised here stays here! If you're going to support a conservation organization why not send your money to an organization that will keep that money here in Idaho to help with projects to benefit Idaho wildlife, not other states.

We are still trying to expand our footprint in Idaho, but we are making some progress. An organization is only as strong as the members that contribute!

Again, I don't want to bash on the national organizations because they do make a difference. Unfortunately, we don't see a lot of the positive impact here in Idaho. Idaho Waterfowl Association is another good local organization working to benefit Idaho wetlands and waterfowl.

So keep it local whenever you can and get involved! If Idaho sportsman and women rally together we can make a difference in our state!

MuleyCrazed
Idaho Deer Alliance
Meridian, Idaho
[email protected]

After sfw and bgf have done their thing I find it hard to give my money to anyone out of fear they will just use it to further their own agenda and not "average Joe's".

If I was contributing, IDA and RMEF would be at the top of my list.

Justin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom