Hunting camps

Whiterock

Very Active Member
What do stay in,tent or camper while hunting?
I have a 24 foot camper trailer that I am thinking of pulling out from Michigan.My scouting trip in June will decide if I can place it near where i want to hunt. By then i will know what tags I drew.

I dont like pulling trailers, in particular on slick roads. Dont like the crap gas mileage either with a trailer in tow.

So, I've been slummin' a 14x16 davis the last several years:

DSCN2930.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-13 AT 12:34PM (MST)[p]I hear ya on the gas BuzzH! Last year I spent $1400 on my 9 week trip out to Wyoming and ND using the little popup camper in this picture. I got it after staying in a tent one year and having it go down in a bad wind and damn near catching fire on the kerosene heater. I just sold the small popup and bought this used 19' 1997 Fleetwood trailer that is like brand new inside and out. The gas mileage will really suck, but I decided to live it up on these lengthy trips out there and the he** with the kids inheriting all my 401K money, LOL! I also have a nice little dome tent to spike out a day or two if I can get it to where I want using my two wheel cart. The picture of it was a trip into the NM Gila close to the wilderness boundary a couple years ago.

97292010_trip_113.jpg

864trailer_003.jpg

49772010_trip_305.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-13 AT 01:39PM (MST)[p]I was really lucky on that 19' trailer. I had decided to get a bigger one, but had no idea I'd find one with the exact interior setup I wanted and for only $3700. I found it one day while browsing though Craigslist for trailers in western MI. New ones that size are going for about 4 times that amount. It's a funny story and sort of like the old lady that only drove her car to Church on Sunday! An old couple bought it new in 1997 and had it until two years ago when they sold it to a young couple. They only used it one week each of the last two summers and didn't pull it a total of 100 miles. They have a young girl and loved camping so much they decided they wanted a bigger one and needed the money to get out from under this one. I was more than happy to oblige and I'm really looking forward to the extra room I'll have this Fall! They even threw in the big tarp and a complete swaybar/hitch setup that are probably worth over $300. All I need to buy is the controller to plug into my truck that will work the electric trailer brakes this bigger one has.

6256trailer_005.jpg

TOPGUN , congrads on the camper. GRAIGS list is where we found our camper . Some people buy them and hardly use them making a great deal for the next owner. May cost to haul them out from Michigan but we deserve the comfort. Especially when a guy plans on staying for 3 weeks or so.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-13 AT 06:19PM (MST)[p]Who ya calling old timer WB, LOL!!! Try staying in a tent or that little camper for 9-11 weeks like I have the last two years out there and you'll see why I finally went to that 19' trailer.

Depends on the time of year for me.

I us my RV and camp for the bowhunt dates but if I have to come back in mid-Oct. I block out rental days for my dates and stay in my Elk Camp Condo.

No freeze up potential there and I really enjoy the Russian maid...wink-wink.

Robb

>Depends on the time of year
>for me.
>
>I us my RV and camp
>for the bowhunt dates but
>if I have to come
>back in mid-Oct. I block
>out rental days for my
>dates and stay in my
>Elk Camp Condo.
>
>No freeze up potential there and
>I really enjoy the Russian
>maid...wink-wink.
>
>Robb

***I knew you were a dirty old man and that's why you surprised the Mrs with that fancy fireplace and room upgrade, LOL!!!

HaHa!

Allot of you posting have seen the Elk Camp Condo inside/outside pix from last years Elk/Wolf hunt gig.

To be on the safe side, I had the Russian maid take those photo's...! ha

Robb

I actually use a Cargo trailer as my camp when hunting out west. I typically bring my freezer in it and all gear needed for the trip and it keeps it clean and dust free. That's a good thing on some of the Wyoming roads I travel! LOL

It's warmer than most tents and two hunters can sleep easily with cots. I made an awning for the front of it (side with entry door) and set a cooking table up underneath it. On trips that I decided to haul an ATV out with me there's room for that as well. Plus, it has more security than a tent...

100_2340.jpg

I added the truck toolbox for storage and then use the area underneath for extra fuel cans.

100_2354.jpg

This was my last trip to Colorado.

"Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!"

Ever thought of puting a couple windows in the trailer ?We are thinking of doing the same thing but my wife says she has to have a couple of windows.
How about a heater ?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-13 AT 06:50PM (MST)[p]We did the same thing with a 5'x8' cargo trailer on a hunt out in 2b in New Mexico a couple years ago. We had a bunk bed for John and his Dad and I slept on a cot. It was crowded, but with a generator running a little electric heater we were real warm in some pretty nasty weather that week in November. We set up a tubular frame off the backend, staked it down, and then covered it with tarps to make a nice little area to cook, eat, and get dressed in. It worked out great for that 5 day hunt. Here's some pictures of that setup before the snow and nasty, cold weather started.

76532011_trip_114.jpg

43922011_trip_116.jpg

4912011_trip_115.jpg

Well, I use this as a cargo trailer throughout the year as well, so don't plan on windows. My buddy that lives in Douglas has a 7x14 that does have windows and he's installed a heater and cabinets. His however, is a dedicated hunting rig.....

I use a buddy heater to warm it up before bed, and then again in the morning. There's a vent in the roof for air and a side door as well as a dropgate rear door for loading ATV. Had I not gotten it at a great price, I would have bought the 7x14 tandem axle v-nose model.

"Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!"

No problems with theft or vandalism leaving all that unattended all day? I have a small pop-up that I am considering dragging out there this fall, but was concerned about leaving it unattended.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom