Hunting Blind Trespasser

H

HuntAddiction

I was just wondering what you all would do if you got to your hunting blind on opening morning (which you had set up the day before) and found someone sitting in it? Could you do anything legally? Or are you just S.O.L.? I was thinking of setting up a blind a couple of days before the archery opener so the elk, deer could get used to it. But how do I protect it? Keep it from getting stolen, trashed, covered in graffiti etc? How can I prevent others from getting there first?

A pop up blind they have no business in just like your truck. A blind you make from logs and branches and stuff I say that's fair game.

I had a fellow sitting in my treestand a couple years ago. We had a pretty heated conversation at first then we decided my stand my spot until I was done then I would call him. I killed my elk and called him and told him. He came and helped me pack it out and called when he got his and I helped him pack his out. We are friends now, didn't think it would turn out like that but it did.
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Never heard of anyone trashing a ground blind before... But, honestly, you have to trust that it will still be there, in good condition, ready and waiting for you.
You are setting this up in a place where someone else might actually even see it...?? If there are that many people in the area, I can't imagine it's even worth it... Unless we're maybe talking a small LE hunt...
Good Luck

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I grew up fishing on public land and never heard of anyone staking claim to a portion of river by merely putting something next to the river. How is hunting different?

Can you stake a claim on a portion of public land by merely placing a blind or chair on the property? Can I buy 10 or 15 blinds if I am wealthy and lock up a big portion of a unit? I hear this approach is tried often in AZ by guides around waterholes and results in heated encounters.

What if there is a blind, unoccupied, and I arrive. Can I put up my blind and leave? What if is occupied, can I set up and stay?

Well, there is a policy that unfortunately, a lot of young guys have no concept of.

It is called "common courtesy".

If you find a blind, that is obviously new, leave it alone, and go several hundred yards away.

That said, if you find someone in your blind......pour half a can of sardines on the trail coming into, and going out of, the area. Game animals HATE the smell of sardines!

I have had my blinds set up for about a month now and so far no one has bothered them. If someone was in my blind though i would kick them out! I have let people use them after i have killed my deer.

I only have experience with duck blinds but I have a couple stories. My buddy and I built a nice blind in a marsh area close to the freeway. During the off season a bunch of hippies tore it down and built a sculpture in the marsh for all to see. They spent about 2 weeks building an airplane out of wood. They put up a sign that said "Spirit of St. Louis". It was a beautiful work of art, built mostly with the wood from our blind. One night about midnight we went out with our axes and demolished it. We put up a sign that said "Down with Hippies". The next day, a photo of our sign was on the front page of the local newspaper. It caused quite a stir for a week or two.

Another time we built a nice blind out on the bay. It was such a good blind, and in such a good spot, we never got to hunt it because someone was always there when we got there. We ended up cutting it down and burning it. If they want to hunt that spot, they have to build their own blind. We moved to another area.

I guess if you build a blind on public land, you gotta expect trouble, or get real mean.

Eel

If you pay money for a blind, then it is your blind! No one has a right to be in your blind. I understand the public land is public land argument! But come on! The one gentleman said it best "common courtesy jacka$$".

I wouldn't get in the blind......it's not mine and it would be wrong to do so.

It is equally wrong to put up anything on public property and believe it gives you any claim to that spot.....if someone is standing 10 feet in front of the blind when you get there, he got there first. He may well have been scouting and hunting that area for 30 years...or not. It doesn't matter. It's public property.

Common courtesy? That means don't touch or screw with what isn't yours. It certainly does not mean you can't hunt the area just because someone else apparently also likes the area; especially if he slept late that day.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I won't hunt in your blind, but you don't own the hole for the season because you put up a blind in June.

How am I supposed to know what days you are coming in and which days you aren't?

First one to the spot on any given day gets it.

If there is an empty blind or stand there, set yours up next to it.

Grizzly

If it is on public land then it is there for the public to use that is the law first come first serve. It doesnt matter who spent the money the state or a private person if it is on public the public can use it.

eyecrazy,

I park my truck on public land and leave it all day while I am out hunting. And I don't think that since it is on public land, the public can use it. Try it and see what happens. Come on man, someones personal property is not yours to use just because of where it was placed.

oakbrush

if you don't want some-one using it you need to take it down each day, if you leave in place it fair game for anyone to use it under the first come first served rule. Why would you be able to hold a spot just because you put a blind a week before season, You can't because you could place blinds at 20 spots and claim them all, can't see that as right.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I am not 100% sure, but I think in WI a stand on public land has to be removed each day and a ground blind should be no different. If that is not the case in the state you hunt in, leave your blind up but be prepared to have someone sitting in it. I myself would never sit in someone else's blind, however I don't believe that setting your blind on a water hole, wallow etc. gives you sole right to hunt that spot. We may both have been scouting the area and just because you left your blind there doesn't mean it's your area. I don't agree that a blind left on public land is free for anyone to use unless there are laws that specifically state it. If that were the case, no way would I leave my blind out. If it is ok to leave your blind out, make sure you have your name on it and if someone is in it when you get there tell the idiot it is yours and calmly remove your blind.

"eyecrazy quote,
I park my truck on public land and leave it all day while I am out hunting. And I don't think that since it is on public land, the public can use it. Try it and see what happens. Come on man, someones personal property is not yours to use just because of where it was placed.

oakbrush"

That analogy is pretty far fetched. On the November Pauns ML hunt (that used to be), where the deer were concetrated guide services were placing lunch containers, vehicles, and yes blinds, going to the waterholes or at the waterholes whether they were there or not and for the whole season. How do these tactics grab all of you? Just what is appropriate? Does the money "game" change our outlook on the term sportsmen and what sportsmen should be doing?

For those of you who have not been following "buglinbilly"
on the Hunt Adventure Challenge, he has built three wooden blinds and set them at various waterholes for his antelope hunt and one has already been carted off by persons unknown!

I think if you built it, or set it up, it's yours. If you find a blind already built and set up, it belongs to someone else. I also think it's o.k. to use someone elses un-occupied blind (respectfully), but know that if the owner shows up, you should immediately and quietly leave and go hunt somewhere else. Unless you can talk the owner into letting you sit there with them. A little respect goes a long, long way to smooth things out.

You'd never find me using another person's blind, that to me just seems wrong. Can I borrow you're calls and cover scent while I'm at it? But at the same time using a blind for the purpose of holding a spot for yourself it wrong too. I wouldn't have any problem setting up my blind right next to theirs if it was unoccupied. And then comes the first come first served rule.

[font color="blue" size="1"]-Follow my 2010 Hunting Adventures-[/br][/font]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r114/foxykaya/Hunting/HuntingAdventures.jpg​

This is a tough one cause I have read some good points.

I drew an archery antelope tag last year and when I arrived to hunt I was looking for a good waterhole to put up my ground blind.

Every single waterhole had already been staked out by someone elses blind. What gives right.

Well I decided to just jump in one for the evening hunt. I felt so awkward that he was going to show up and we were going to have a confrontation (people are crazy), and it felt like I was sleeping in someone elses bed. So I got up and left.

I may feel different though with a tree stand.

Also, it just sucks when some else staked out a waterhole and isn't going to use it for say 5 days or something. Does that mean I miss out on all of the hunting opportunity's in the mean time?

If you feel awkward sitting in someone elses blind, then you should hunt somewhere else, or set up your own blind. If it's on public land, everyone has an equal right to be there and blinds don't save places for people. If you got there to hunt first, the next guy that shows up should find another place to hunt, or quietly climb into his blind and hunt next to you. At the very least, the two of you could have a quiet conversation and discuss it. Maybe flip a coin, or set a schedule.

These things are really quite easy to deal with. Just treat people the way you would like to be treated.

Here is a government stance on blinds:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/id/publications.Par.95654.File.dat/Hunting_Blinds.pdf

Notice where it says blinds placed on public property can be used on a first come, first served basis and that you can not lock blinds.

I would never sit in someone's store bought blind, but that is just me. And while I may not sit in another's blind, I very well might set up on the same spot if I was there first. I just do not see how placing a blind or tree stand can reserve one's spot on public lands without consideration of others.

The best is try to hunt areas far away from the masses, but that doesn't always work. I have never had to deal with the problem yet, but it sure seems like more and more guys are hanging stands and placing blinds on public lands in order to reserve their spot.

In Nev. I always put a stake with my name and when I plan to hunt. Also write that if im not their have at it and good luck. Never had a problem, and met some great guys. Tony

>"eyecrazy quote,
>I park my truck on public
>land and leave it all
>day while I am out
>hunting. And I don't think
>that since it is on
>public land, the public can
>use it. Try it and
>see what happens. Come on
>man, someones personal property is
>not yours to use just
>because of where it was
>placed.
>
>oakbrush"
>
>That analogy is pretty far fetched.
> On the November Pauns
>ML hunt (that used to
>be), where the deer were
>concetrated guide services were placing
>lunch containers, vehicles, and yes
>blinds, going to the waterholes
>or at the waterholes whether
>they were there or not
>and for the whole season.
> How do these tactics
>grab all of you?
>Just what is appropriate?
>Does the money "game" change
>our outlook on the term
>sportsmen and what sportsmen should
>be doing?

Cannonball,
I think you missed my point. I don't agree with setting up a blind to claim a spot. I think you could set your blind up right next to the existing one if you want. But I feel you shouldn't use someone elses stuff just because it is there. It would be like seeing someones camp on public land and saying "hey they aren't here right now, lets take nap in there tent".

It's called respect for someones stuff. As long as I could still set up at the water hole, I wouldn't care if there was an unoccupied blind there. And I wouldn't try to get in it.

oakbrush.

Common courtesy. Their blind does not mean you can't hunt it. If they are in their blind you should find somewhere else to hunt. If not, I still don't agree with someone using my equipment without permission. Sit next to it or in another bush but stay out of the blind or treestand unless you have permission. If they won't give you permission to use their stand/blind that doesn't mean you can't hunt there, you just can't use their equipment.

I don't think the truck thing is far fetched its very close to the same! Private item on public property. Plain and simple. That doesn't mean I won't park my truck next to yours and go hunting!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

>eyecrazy,
>
>I park my truck on public
>land and leave it all
>day while I am out
>hunting. And I don't think
>that since it is on
>public land, the public can
>use it. Try it and
>see what happens. Come on
>man, someones personal property is
>not yours to use just
>because of where it was
>placed.
>
>oakbrush

I was just telling what the law states people but blinds in the marsh all the time and if you leave it then it is first come first serve you don't have the right to stake claims to public land I don't see that it is any different in the hills. if you don't want someone to use it then take it with you.

Is it just me or is it truly pathetic we have to worry about things like this
If you find someone in it a wise man one said (A BIG TALL TREE AND A SHORT PIECE OF ROPE)

>Is it just me or is
>it truly pathetic we have
>to worry about things like
>this
>If you find someone in it
>a wise man one said
>(A BIG TALL TREE AND
>A SHORT PIECE OF ROPE)
>

I feel the same way if I show up and no one is in a blind. Why did you leave something where you were not going to hunt every day?

I put my blind up a month in advance. 1)Lets critters get use to it.2)Easier to set it up, then come back and hunt. I've never had anyone find my blind, but if they did I wouldn't want them in it! Pack your own dang blind in, and set it next to mine! Justr_86 AMEN!

Oakbrush,

I understand what you are saying, but when you have a concentrated area like the late season Pauns, to me, it is out of line to place a commercial blind up and leave it only to come back several days later to use it. The perception is someone is there and don't bother them, when in reality they are not. In concentrated, special hunt areas I say pack it (set it up), pack it out (take it down). If one makes a blind out brush or such, after the first day it becomes first come, first serve. Years ago a friend of mine ran across a couple of sportsmen - NO! NO! - HUNTERS, that thought they could reserve this spot for the season by placing a couple of old camp chairs on the hill overlooking a guzzler.

It is like some, who place trailer(s) in the ideal spot on public land and leave it unattended most of the summer. Are any of you guilty of this when you think they are not enforcing the law?

Right is right and wrong is wrong. How honest are you? Are you one of the terrain hogs for either a blind spot or trailer? Bare in mind I am talking about concentrated areas, not remote areas where other good spots are available.

Confrontation of any kind, while hunting, is not a very pleasant experience regardless of what the law says. Why can't we have the sportsmen of old - you know - People considerate of others. I kind of felt Utah about above most of the pettiness only to find I was living in the "sportsmen bubble". Those of you who think the best most considerate people are those who hunt and fish - they may have been, but are no longer.

Well, I try to be considerate of others, and if you do too......

At least there's two of us left.

I got a blind story. Friend of mine set up a water hole blind on public land a couple of days before the archery (pronghorn) opener.

Opening day got to his blind at o dark thirty and someone was already in it. He had a no problem, that is what happens on public land attitude.

Next day he was up real early to make sure he was at that blind first. Got to the water hole and the blind was gone. That guy liked his blind so much he packed it up and took it home with him after he got done hunting out of it.

This topic always cracks me up. Why people even need to ask the question is beyond me.

If you leave your wheeler can someone else use it as long as they return it?

If you set up a blind, can someone else use it as long as they let you use it when you get there?

If you hang a tree stand, can someone else sit in it till you show up?

If you take your wife for a hike and she sits on a rock to rest, can someone else come along and ravage her as long as they are respectfull?

C'mon. If it ain't yours leave it alone.

Nobody read the link above? That is an eye-opening BLM brochure.

Looks like the police view blinds on public lands blinds as being public property. Not that it makes it right, but the law may make it legal to use someone's blind. I won't be sitting in someone's blind.

>In Nev. I always put a
>stake with my name and
>when I plan to hunt.
>Also write that if im
>not their have at it
>and good luck. Never had
>a problem, and met some
>great guys. Tony

It's no wonder you've never had a problem Tony. If everyone were as considerate as you, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
I haven't used a blind, but I can forsee a hunt or two in the future where I will, and this is exactly what I will do. Maybe even add my phone number as well.
Either that, or put it up/take it down daily.

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." ~ Aldo Leopold

I plan on putting a blind up on a little water hole here in a day or two to use later on.. I was going to leave a note inside indicating the days I will be there to use it and that whomever wanted to use it could as long as they didn't damage it or better yet take it with them when they left. I will also several trail cameras up so user beware!!!

I too have heard that some of the outfitters hunting limited entry areas (pausagaunt) will place several blinds or post their buddies up in the area and dress them all up in camo or hunter orange and when hunters come into the area, they are asked to leave.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom