HunterHarry: question

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
Ok HH, with 33 years as a butcher under your belt you must surely have some very definite opinions on cutlery. For deboning, cutting, skinning, sharpening, etc. Care to share some advice? Brands, style, size?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-11 AT 02:19AM (MST)[p]Victornox 6 inch curved boner. Funny name but truthful. 20 bucks online worthy every penny. So sharp the wife wont even use it. Get the black fibrox handle. I interned in beef packing houses for a few summers and have a minor in meat science. This is what we and they use. Look them up. They are the best. They have a soft and med stiff blade. The soft would be good for fish but The med is what I have. Make a leather scabbard and take it in your pack or on the boat. Hands down the best and you are not sad when you lose it or your best friend takes it home because it will happen.

Forschner Knives is what we used mostly, great steel keeps a edge and easy to sharpen. I now use razor knives with the disposable blades, I like them the best they cost about $8 bucks a pack of blades of a 100 $15

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Well, what I use will be a let down for the guys that like those fancy custom knives that cost several hundred dollars apiece.

Get yourself a Forschner 6" boning knife, I like the straight edge, about 20 bucks, I'll put two in my pack for an elk...

VF47513.jpg

Some prefer the curved boning knife.

For processing steaks I use a fluted Victornox/Forschner 10" steak knife.
(Forschner Fibrox? Granton Edge Cimeter Knife)

About 70 bucks

victorinox-10-scimitar-knife-w-granton-edge-and-fibrox-handle.jpg

I've used the unfluted too

About 35 dollars.

VF47539.jpg

These knives are pretty much standard issue among professional meat cutters, very rarely do I see anyone use anything else.
Get a good sharpening steel to bring the edge back when it rolls over and use it often...

202_308.jpg

I like a fairly coarse one, other like the fine grained ones.

When the sharpening steel fails to bring the edge around run the knife over a 3 way oilstone at a 20 degree angle using the fine side.
Once the knife loses its edge to a more severe degree use the coarse then medium then fine to put a new edge on it, again strictly keeping to a 20 degree angle.

4659.jpg

Learning both the muscular anatomy and exactly where the bones lay in an animal will get you a lot further than just a sharp knife as far as speed in producing quality cuts, it just takes practice.

You can get everything from knives to sharpening steels to grinders, power saws & tenderizers here...

California Butcher Supply
841 Yosemite Way
Milpitas, CA 95035
408-946-2820

Call for their big catalog.
Lots of online sources as well.

If custom knives are your thing talk to RELH here at MM, he knows way more than I do about knives.

Hope I was of help to you guys.
HH

I too would recommend Victorinox/Forschner. I gotta give my business a little plug. We are commercial kitchen contractors/dealers. We carry a complete line on our website at fullnerfoodservice.com I think our prices are usually pretty competitive. The knoves link is on the left hand side on the home page. Mercer is another good line they we are just taking on.

Good info HH. Do you use some kind of guide to keep the 20 degree angle?

boz, you have a curved boner that your wife won't use? Bummer dude.:)

Eel

Great advice HH. While a "fancy" knife may hold an edge longer than a less expensive knife, knowing how to use a stone and a steel is requirement.

My grandpa was a butcher for over 40 years. I was amazed that he could put an edge on knife with just a few passes on a steel...

Eel one evening she was chopping, slicing, putting together a nice dinner....next thing you know we had twins on the way. Its in the drawer for the time being :)

Thanks for all the responses. I hoped there would be a deifinite perference toward one brand, just had no idea which one.

Harry, fancy custom knives don't mean squat to me. I want the one that a guy who does it day in and day out uses. Thanks for the info. I see a UPS delivery van in my future. :)

NVB, you've got those crazy eyes going on. You aren't going to butcher some of that new veal in the back pasture are you?
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

B_POP, in the words of one of my favorite old time cattle buyers and butcher shop owners "If I can't take it with me I ain't going".

Yup NVB!

And MS NVB Smiles every time you say/think it!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom