Hunter who killed son had beer/pot in his sytem......

Dean Parisian

Charges: Hunter who killed son had beer, pot in his system
By CHAO XIONG, Star Tribune

May 5, 2008

The Belle Plaine man who fatally shot his 8-year-old son in the chest last month while turkey hunting had alcohol and marijuana in his system at the time, according to a felony second-degree manslaughter charge filed Monday.

Anthony Klaseus, 39, told authorities that he told his son, Hunter, to stay put as he circled a field to approach turkeys sometime after 5 p.m. April 19 in a field east of Crahan Lane near County Road 6 in Sibley County, according to charges filed in Sibley County District Court.

Klaseus called to the turkeys. They called back and moved toward him.

"Then I heard something snap or break near me, and a large figure rose up," he told authorities. "I thought it was a turkey, and I shot and it went down. I thought I shot the turkey. Then my son jumped back up screaming and then fell back down."

Hunter, dressed in full camouflage and wearing a hood, looked like a "turkey fanning out," Klaseus told authorities. Department of Natural Resources regulations only allow hunters to shoot turkeys with visible beards, a feathered appendage on the breast.

Klaseus and paramedics performed CPR on Hunter, but he died at the scene.

Klaseus took a breath test at the scene that registered a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.06 percent, the charges said. A urine test taken three hours after the shooting showed an ethyl alcohol concentration of 0.05 grams per 67 milliliters. It also showed that he had marijuana in his system, although the exact concentration won't be known for a few weeks.

Authorities said it's unclear exactly when he consumed the alcohol and marijuana.

Two 12-packs of beer, three six-packs of beer, an empty 24-pack of beer and a marijuana pipe were found in Klaseus' truck at the scene, the charges say. The packs of beer contained empty and full cans.

"That's just one side of the story," said Klaseus' attorney, Patrick Flanagan. "The family is distraught. They're trying to work through the loss of their son. They were hoping the county attorney would come up with a different conclusion."

Flanagan declined to address details revealed in the charges. The family did not want to comment, said Hunter's grandmother.

Hunter's death was the first turkey hunting fatality since turkey hunting began here in 1978. Last year, two people were fatally shot in hunting accidents in Minnesota. All told, in 2007, there were 23 incidents of hunters being shot at in the state.

"One of the 10 safety rules of hunting, besides being sure of your target, is not to consume ... alcohol or be on any kinds of drugs," said Al Thomas, executive director of Turn in Poachers, a nonprofit that promotes safe and ethical sportsmanship. "By following the rules of safe shooting, maybe it could've been prevented."

Klaseus is also charged with felony reckless discharge of a firearm and two misdemeanor charges: trespassing and hunting turkeys without a license. He was drawn to buy a license, but never made the $18 purchase.

Klaseus is scheduled to make his first court appearance May 22. He will not be arrested in connection with the charges.

He was cited by a DNR official for marijuana possession in 1996.

Dean Parisian
http://chippewapartners.blogspot.com

What a freaking sorry excuse for a human being. How they hell do you mistake your kid for a stupid turkey???!!! He looked like a turkey fanning out?? Give me a freaking break!! Tell the truth you dope head idiot - you were stoned out of your freaking gourd, fell asleep, heard a sound and turned and shot at it and killed your 8 yr old boy. This story pisses me off beyond comprhension. What a needless tragedy.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

"They were hoping the county attorney would come up with a different conclusion."

What kind of conclusion did they expect??? Did the expect the
county attorney to forgive and forget. SIICCCKKK!

>What a freaking sorry excuse for
>a human being. How they
>hell do you mistake your
>kid for a stupid turkey???!!!
>He looked like a turkey
>fanning out?? Give me a
>freaking break!! Tell the truth
>you dope head idiot -
>you were stoned out of
>your freaking gourd, fell asleep,
>heard a sound and turned
>and shot at it and
>killed your 8 yr old
>boy. This story pisses me
>off beyond comprhension. What a
>needless tragedy.
>
>
>UTROY
>Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I could not agree more Roy. Took the words right out of my mouth.

"Thanks climate PhD 202" - TFinalshot Feb-05-08, 02:16 PM (MST)

That dipwad disregarded everything said in the entire first 2 1/2 hours of hunter education...1/2 of the 3rd class and part of the 5th....and about 1/2 of the test questions. If the mother shoots him, she deserves a hero's parade.

GEEEESSHHH!!!

I lost a little boy and it was No one's fault (no one's fault, but the memory is never-ending). It will not matter what the state does to him, his conscience will remind him every day forever.

This story is sickening and depressing. The really sad side is the story will be repeated, maybe not exactly the same, but will be repeated by some other nimrod with alcohol and marijuana in his system, because it won't happen to him.

The Dad must have other kids. Otherwise, he'd have probably turned the gun on himself. Who could live with that?

Steve

hear me out....maybe this wasn't the worst thing for the kid.

Growing up in a house where marijuana, weed, reefer, herb, ganja, bud, doobie, dope,Mary Jane, skunk, grass, leaf. Cheeba, boom, Rasta, blond and Columbian,Cripple,Critical Mass, Crying weed,Dagga Dank Devil,Dawamesk,Dew,Diambista,Diddly Dee,Diggity
Dimba,Dink,Dinkie dow,Dirt grass,Ditch ,Ditch weed ,Djamba
Dog'sSkunk ,Doings,Domestic,Fallbrookredhair,Fat,Fir,Flower,Sticky icky.......you know what ever you call it and booze are the dominating things in a dads life, you know the kid saw it, had to deal with the fact that his dad had these issues, and maybe worse things going on in his life. Maybe god decided the kid didn't deserve it and brought him "home". and to punish the father, he allowed it to happen as it did.

Tragic for the rest of the family! and i do feel for them, but some how i feel the kid might be better off.

*just my opinion

47aa8a9e202b0d9f.jpg

I can't agree with the statement that a kid may be better off dead but....God does have a plan for everyone.

Maybe brutal...but maybe it wasn't an accident. Why wouldn't he be hunting with his son? Why was his son out walking around? Just throwing that out there.

Steve

Nevermind the alcohol and marijuana, why would you leave an 8 year old alone when you are hunting? Why would you leave an 8 year old alone at all? Complete ****ing loser!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom