Hunter Recruitment

P

Prism

What do you think about mentoring programs for adults? Most Western states have some type of youth program in place-set aside tags, special youth hunt dates etc.

But what about adults that might want to get into hunting for the first time? I'm sure we all know people that might be interested in hunting if given a chance. And most of us understand the challenges of just getting a tag.

I'm all for getting the youth involved, but seriously think we ought to consider some options to get more adults into the sport.

I'm not talking about primo tags, but maybe some turkey or antlerless tags could be set aside for adults that have never had a hunting license before.

We've also got to focus some attention on retention. A lot of guys are just giving it up.

It sounds like some of the eastern states have mentoring programs, but I haven't heard of any out west?

Great topic, Prism. Expect discussion.

But, please be advised.......its been studied and proven many times in America......that 1 child is worth 24.36 adult lives. Also, 1 cripple is worth more than 1,267 healthy adult lives.

I agree whole heartedly. I don't know of any programs in my neck of the woods (though that doesn't mean there aren't any.) I have taken it upon myself though to take out non hunters and introduce them. Like you said, even on a doe tag. I took a coworker out two years ago and he shot his first deer ever and his son was with us. He couldn't wait to go again with his other son... Three birds with one stone...

There is nothing quite like the feeling of being with someone when they harvest their first big game animal. With as many hunters as I have guided over the years, my most favorite by far have been the first timers. Especially the first time youth. You can just see it in their eyes. They're hooked. I'm with Prism. I think the key to recruitment is individuals willing to take, not only their own kids, but maybe the neighbor and his kid on a hunt. Once the kids are involved the key to retention is success. Nobody will stay the course if success is not a possibility. Your odds of retention drastically go down the longer someone goes without pulling the trigger. Antlerless hunts are a great key. Eastern states use them for population control and there is a ton of opportunity. Western states could do the exact same thing with their mentor programs. I think it's a great idea. I have said for a long time that making youth hunters pay the same as adults is a joke. Wyoming and Idaho have 2 of the best mentor programs and youth hunting opportunies in the U.S.

It's always an adventure!!!

>Great topic, Prism. Expect discussion.
>
>
>But, please be advised.......its been studied
>and proven many times in
>America......that 1 child is worth
>24.36 adult lives. Also,
>1 cripple is worth more
>than 1,267 healthy adult lives.
>

lay off the bushmills whiskeydick....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-11 AT 00:00AM (MST)[p]

>
>
>1 cripple is worth more
>

Cripple REALLY !!! A$$wipe I would like you to do half of what the handicapped people can do.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-11 AT 11:39PM (MST)[p]>Great topic, Prism. Expect discussion.
>
>
>1 cripple is worth more
>

Some 'cripples' as you so eloquently call them, are handicapped from the neck down. Others as you have so efficiently demonstrated, are handicapped from the neck up.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>
>
>1 cripple is worth more
>

I'm lost !!!! . What does this have to do with any thing ? Is it some kind of riddle or just some weird study you pulled out of the book of little known trivia ?

I have had strong feeling that most of these special youth benefits are not long standing for the future of hunting.

Hold on---let me finish----

Some kid gets a great bull and buck and maybe a Ram and then it is off to real life---military--mission---marrage---and not much interest $$$ for hunting and with a couple big animals already on the wall-----not much desire..

Now if the special opportunity went to the 30--40 year old age class I think it would bring more into hunting and keep more into hunting along with that age group introducing their youth to hunting.

The 30-40 year old group has been thru the rigors of early adulthood and are in good financial settings with a college degree---family kids are a little older---mortgage is comfortable and normal----and so forth.

Plus the 30--40 year old age group has the highest amount of people in that group.

Just sayin'........

Robb

Great idea Robb,
Now let's just move that to the 28 to 40 window. I need all the help I can get when it comes to getting a good tag.

I am going to get my nephew started this year, I hope he gets a tag. Its just kind of hard to give up most of my hunting season to get him a deer. I will only be able to hunt a few days for me. I know that is selfish to say. I know it will be very rewarding to get a kid his first animal, I have helped a bunch of people get started. I am getting to the point now where I want to hunt for me. I don't know how anyone could be a full time guide.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-11 AT 08:38AM (MST)[p]If kids have some good experiences when they are young, many times they will come back to the sport, but actually I think the biggest battle in recrutment is the changing world.I sometimes wonder If its just me, but hunting seems to be getting less about interaction with the natural world and more about competetion and technology. Our attitudes are going to have to change, or I don't think this sport will last.

Worst part about recruiting kids today is the simple fact that there is no TIME left in their lives for hunting and fishing.

The world we live in now, has way too much other stuff going on.......for every age group.

The family unit is so stretched and technology has exposed kids to so many other things, that hunting and fishing are WAY down the list.

Soccer, iPods, video games, cell phones......etc.

The social aspects of public opinion, regarding the "blood sports", are tough to overcome.

When I was a kid, tv had 3 channels, if you even had a tv. We had 1 phone in the house and it was a party line.

Town had 1 movie theater, open on Friday and Saturday.

Hunting season was a HUGE big deal and a major "rite of passage" that we looked forward to, above ALL else. The entire family was involved to one degree or another.

I knew nothing about sex...leastways, between 2 people....so girls weren't in the way until about age 15. By then, I was hooked on hunting and fishing. We actually had virgins in our high school! If one of your buddies found a Playboy magazine, he was a hero!

It is a different world now and I don't believe we can "fix" it to even come close to the good ol' days".

Even the Amish are struggling!

Those of you that have kids who are hooked on hunting, have my respect and best wishes for long term success.

Just as an "aside", manufacturers, distributors and marketing companies are targeting the 45 to 70 age group.....'cuz that is where the money is.

whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

AZ offers free 2-day licenses to adults under an apprentice program

"Apprentice Hunting License

Effective Jan. 1, 2009, a new Apprentice Hunting License is available for no charge to encourage existing hunters to become mentors and introduce a friend, neighbor, relative, or co-worker to the traditions and importance of hunting. The Apprentice License allows an already Arizona licensed hunter to take a beginner on an actual hunt without the beginner having to buy a hunting license. The Apprentice License is free for residents and nonresidents and is valid for any two consecutive days for the legal take of small game, fur-bearing, predatory and nongame mammals, nongame birds, and upland game birds in season. (To take migratory birds or waterfowl, the appropriate stamps are required at normal costs). The Apprentice License is not valid for the take of big game animals.

The Apprentice Hunting License is only available at Arizona Game and Fish Department offices. The mentor must be a bona fide resident of Arizona, at least 18 years old, and possess a valid hunting license and is limited to two Apprentice Hunting Licenses per calendar year. The license must be made out to the name of the apprentice, with the mentor?s name associated with the license. The apprentice can only receive one license per calendar year. The mentor is required to be with the apprentice at all times while in the field, providing instruction and supervision on safe and ethical hunting."

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/licenses.shtml#Apprentice

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom