Hunter Liggett Closed To Hunting?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I was at my local sportsmans meeting tonite and one of the guys mentioned that Fort Hunter Liggett has been closed to ALL hunting until 2012. I asked about the elk hunts and several confirmed that the commander closed the base to ALL hunting. I'm not sure what that means but has anyone else heard this?

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

I don't know why.....it was supposedly the commanders decision. If I get time, I'll google it.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Politics and power trips.

Over the last 40 years or so, many military facilities have had closures and reopenings. Depending mostly on the current base Commander's opinion on hunting and shooting.

There are even instances where a trap and skeet range has been torn out and plowed under. Two years later, a new guy ...."change of command" they call it, comes in and everything is good again.

I recall an incident at one facility (China Lake Naval Weapons Station), where the base commander decided that only officers and retired officers could hunt on the base. That started some real chit and it has never opened to any hunting again.

The decisions always seem to be local, but who knows, they toss the "homeland security" issue around like a beach ball.

".....but by God, I never said a word to a pig!"

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-11 AT 10:24AM (MST)[p]I wrote an email last night to FHL and this was the response I got regarding the closure to hunting.....

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

Sir,
I don't know what SMVSA is but they are WRONG, Deer season opens this
weekend and we have already conducted the Lottery for the Elk Hunts this
year. You are welcome to visit the Fort Hunter Liggett web site
http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/update.asp for all hunting
opportunities as they are updated weekly.
I hope to see you soon.

Thank You,
Mac

McMurtry, Glen W
MWR Recreation Program Manager
Family, Morale, Welfare & Recreation
USAG Fort Hunter Liggett
Bldg. 287 Infantry Rd
Jolon, CA 93928

So.....don't believe everything you hear!

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom