Hunter Fishes for Truck

legacy

Very Active Member
Here's an interestig pic I finally got a copy of from my dad. This was 1967 and my dad was the driver. My dad's buddy was on the roof ready to throw the signal if it got too deep! Well, this pic was taken a bit later after the truck had been pushed down the river, out of the 20 or so foot deep hole. The axle is caught on a rock. It's a new (then) Suburban if you couldn't tell. This was during the deer hunt and needless to say, the boys were a little intoxicated! My dad worked for a large shop in Salt Lake at the time, and this was a clients truck. After a week of attemps, they were finally able to get the truck out of the river. My dad drained the crankcase, tranny, etc..., added new fluids and actually drove this truck home. He had already bought the truck before they got it home (not much choice), and ended up driving this truck for years after. A hunter took this photo from on top of the mountain, years later my dad became friends with this person not knowing about the picture. Anyway, that's how my dad ended up with the picture. Any guesses on where this is at? It is in Utah.

4974fd732619af4c.jpg

>Is it in the Green river,
>just below
>Little Hole, The road in the
>background
>was used to fight a fire
>years ago, I
>think?

Bingo! Good guess! They thought they could fjord the river to get to Dutch John. They actaully had to completely close the flow through the dam in order to get the truck out. They had their guns and stuff in the truck, so people who knew this would float the river and break the windows out of the truck. The current was too strong, so nobody could anchor onto the truck though.

I have spent many a days fishing that
stretch of water, When the water is
low you can wade across it.

Great picture, thanks for sharing

Yep - that's Little Hole looking back towards Diamond. I have waded that very part of the river many times. Your dad isn't the only one to have tried crossing there only to have failed.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Here's my salesman version of the Pic;

Here's dad in his new suburban making progress upstream searching for good holding water in the Green River. He had to lock the hubs and put her in four wheel drive but that truck won't stop for nothing! Come on down and get you one today!!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom