Hunt without a pack?????

Hardway

Very Active Member
My shoulder has been killing me latley....due for a surgery this winter. I've never deer hunted without a pack and I'm at a loss on how to get even a mile off the road without one. What are my options? Fanny pack and return with with a pack to hual meat? I've refined my "have to have" items down to almost nothing but I still cant figure out where to hual extra clothes, meat bags, water, food, etc. ???

P.S....Only talking about day hunts from the road.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

ROKON.......dork

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Fanny pack.
I do about 80% of my hunting with a large fanny pack.
I take some bags and strapping to carry out a small first load of meat, then go back with a frame pack.

>ROKON.......dork
>
>
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

You gonna sell me one??? You have more than one.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Hardway, We never used packs at all. We carried our guns, the clothes on our back, field glasses, a knife, matches, and some extra shells. That's about it. We would go "in" sometimes 3-4 miles, sometimes further, sometimes sleep over at a likely spot, sometimes just come back on out by moonlight. We seemed to get it done, everybody that hunted like we did, did!

It wasn't until i felt the compelling need to have my spotting scope along with me, that i really started using a day bag. Once the day bag and scope was going to be taken along for the hunt, that's when all the other "stuff" started to become standard necessary equipment...there was room, why not include, "this and that."

Not that i'm quite yet a "old timer", i remember hunting like one. The guys who used backpacks, to us guys, was a whole nother breed of cat.

I hope that you're feeling better!!

Joey

I have a kings daylight pack. Its a fanny pack with shoulder straps and other straps to roll a jacket up and tie it on. It has plenty of room for all your necessities and a little more. I love the shoulder straps because it takes some of the weight off of your hips without putting much if any on your shoulders.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Can you use a fanny pack and then go back with a game cart?? Not sure of the terrain you are hunting. I once read a hunting article about a husband wife team who would use 2 game carts and spend about a week hunting and camping were no one else wanted to walk to. He carried all the food,gear and tent on his cart and hers just had coolers bone meat and pack it out.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

if your pack is fitted correctly it wont be riding on your shoulders. Just saying.

Id get a badlands pack!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

There are no big bucks in Utah! LOL

I agree with SW. Get a pack with a waste strap that hold the majority of weight on your legs. It really will save your shoulder and neck muscles. I never liked using a fanny pack style cuz it always seemed to push my pants down. No fun hunting with my ass hanging out!

Steve
T&A Inspector

I hate backpacks...ALL of my hunting is with large fanny packs. If I'm only planning a day hunt, that can be fairly minimal. (My llamas carry big stuff for longer excursions.)

For a day hunt, all you really need is a knife, water and some basic survival gear....just in case.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I used to never hunt with one, now as i find myself trecking further and further away, I have to have one just to carry my gatorade. Ide much rather carry around a pack than get dehydrated.

>if your pack is fitted correctly
>it wont be riding on
>your shoulders. Just saying.
>
>Id get a badlands pack!
>

Even when you take all the weight off the shoulders it will still pull to the rear. A torn rotator cuff is the issue. And the pack I'm using is a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab....I'd hardly trade that for a Badlands.......Just Sayin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom