HUGE METEOR!!!

Long Time Member
Wow did anyone besides fireball77 see this?? She said the back yard lit up like a spotlight was in it. About the same time our dogs started going crazy. Talk about a shooting star. Read the story and check out the video link they posted from a security camera. It literally turns night into noon day for about 2 seconds from Idaho to Cedar City.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8714738

SALT LAKE CITY -- A fast moving meteor lit up the night skies over most of Utah just after midnight Wednesday.

KSL News has been receiving hundreds of calls from southern Utah to southern Idaho. People are reporting a flash so bright it lit up the entire sky for a couple of seconds.

Some people are also reporting a slight rumbling sound a few second after the flash.

One resident who lives in Cedar City said she could see the mountains and her grass for a few seconds.

Another resident in Bountiful said the sky was so bright, it shut off the light sensored street lights for a few seconds.

KSL also received a video clip of the meteor from a viewer in bountiful. [CLICK HERE to watch it]

Patrick Wiggins, who is a NASA ambassador living in Tooele County, says the bright light is most likely a bolide meteor.

The Earth is passing the Leonids right now, which is one of the most spectacular meteor shower shows that can be seen every year.

Wiggins says a bolide meteor creates an intense flash that is rare but happens from time to time.

According to Wiggins, it's also possible the meteor may have broken apart in our atmosphere causing some rocks to land, though the size of the rocks wouldn't be very large.

However, with reports from people who've seen the flash coming in from such a large area, Wiggins says the chances of somebody actually finding a meteor rock are small.

We will continue to follow this story and bring you any updates on KSL.com, KSL 5 News Today at 5 a.m. and KSL Newsradio 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

It was bright . I looked directly at it , and it hurt my eyes . I was driving down Little Cottonwood Canyon , and from my angle I would have swore that it crashed on Lone Peak .
Some thing you don't see very often .

All I can say is AMAZING, and the little ones that followed weren't bad either. :) I guess you could call it a fireball LOL

I was working and saw it. It shocked the crap out of me!!! I dont know how many calls dispatch got from people thinking they had a prowler or it was the end of the world.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom