Huge Cadomine Alberta Pickups

H

hoofsandhorns

A few pick ups from the Mine Site. Don't know the story on all these but believe they are recent cat and wolf kills.

9884cadomin-rams.jpg

Looks like the feds aren't letting them go to waste. Oh wait, they are. Why not have big spenders buy these rams instead? Just wondering.

Amazing, even though the end one might not be the biggest out of the group, wouldn't he just look amazing on that wall.Thanx for the pic Rod! Hopefully someone has more info!

holy chit, that is unreal. 6 lifelong dreams sitting on 1 table together. WOW

Wow,
That is a boat load of precious horn. I wonder if they are for sale? On the hoof I have to believe they are worth a million or more to some well healed huntin folks.
Let's hope it is not because of another sheep die-off!

You could sell each one for $300,000 on the hoof which could go toward more sheep and habitat and more money yet. The herd must be really healthy.

hoofsandhorns,
I was there when that picture was taken last weekend. The amazing thing was there were another 6 or so equally impressive.
Zigga,
I asked the game warden about the possibility of getting a set of horns to use as a fundraiser for Eastern WSF and was told they do not want to open that door for fear that it would lead to something that could be abused. The discussion that did take place did involve the chance for legitimate hunters to benefit from all those rams on the mine.They also explained that most of those rams never leave the mine and what the potential for disaster is.

For everyone's information we were in Alberta for The chapter and affiliates summit for the Wild Sheep Foundation. The Alberta chapter hosted it and did a great job. Going to Hinton and the tour of the mine was the icing on the cake. I have been to the mine several times but to actually get a tour and see what can not be seen from the road is amazing. Thanks to the Wild Sheep Foundation and Aberta WSF for a great job.

Wow.Wow.Wow.

That is quite a sight. Really a shame those big rams and others can't be turned into some $$ for sheep as a whole.

Do sheep ever die by means other than predators or bullets? If so, at what age would you expect this death to occur for a ram? What is the average age of the rams in the photo?

One more question: Is a hunter's bullet the only "good" way for a ram to die?

That is one impressive group of rams. Just think, there are still 100 more of them just like that alive in that herd...

I'm assuming some die of old age. I've heard of 11 year old rams killed. I don't think every animal needs to be hunted but when they are worth several hundred thousand dollars the money could go right back in to sheep management if that means more transplants or a larger range. We don't have enough bighorns in North America if you couldn't tell. Use the money to buy out domestic sheep and goat herds because disease is a huge killer.

The hunter's bullet is not the only 'good' way for a ram to die. Nature is nature and I think we all understand that.

But huge bighorn reams are unique in that tags for old,mature rams like these could raise hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars for sheep restoration efforts in other places. I do not even know the situation at Cadomin or why the sheep there are off-limits but it is a shame these great resource potentials are not able to be used. Most on here are focusing on the losses for the sheep,not lamenting the lost hunting opportunities since very few of us could afford these tags anyway. But there are those that can.

while researching the cadomin mine bighorns, i read that 9 permits were given to resident hunters to hunt the mine in 2005, posibily only metis hunters? and because of this the ministry auction tag holder turned his tag back in and it resold for considerably less around $40K. interesting if true, does any one know?

I am not an expert on Cadomine but I do know something about it .I think you are mostly right. Up until that point the only hunters in November were the auction tag holder and the raffle tag winner. That year they issued resident tags for the same time of year in a drawing and if my memory is correct the auction tag holder threatened to sue for his money back. The tag was then resold and I believe you are correct that it was for about $40,000.00. I believe now the auction tag holder is allowed to hunt into December, not sure if there is still a raffle tag. It was about the same time that the Metis treaty rights were changing so that may be where some of the confusion comes from.

I am not sure what the tag sold for this year but the price has been coming back up. That tag holds the record for highest price paid at $405,000.00 and I bet that record stands for a long time.

INcredible. One question: why do some look like fresh deaths, while that on on the right could be years old? These look like they were collected over a period of several years, unless someone started bleaching right after they found some of them.

These were horns that were in storage at fish and game. Some were relativly fresh while others had been around a while. They brought them out to show us and I am guessing just brought the larger rams.

> I am not
>an expert on Cadomine but
>I do know something about
>it .I think you are
>mostly right. Up until that
>point the only hunters in
>November were the auction tag
>holder and the raffle tag
>winner. That year they issued
>resident tags for the same
>time of year in a
>drawing and if my memory
>is correct the auction tag
>holder threatened to sue for
>his money back. The tag
>was then resold and I
>believe you are correct that
>it was for about $40,000.00.
>I believe now the auction
>tag holder is allowed to
>hunt into December, not sure
>if there is still a
>raffle tag. It was about
>the same time that the
>Metis treaty rights were changing
>so that may be where
>some of the confusion comes
>from.
>
> I am not sure
>what the tag sold for
>this year but the price
>has been coming back up.
>That tag holds the record
>for highest price paid at
>$405,000.00 and I bet that
>record stands for a long
>time.

Cadomin the mine is off limits to the hunting public and is private property. But the surronding area around the mine is a coveted once in a life time lottery tag for the rut in November. There are as mentioned 2 other tags, the ministers auction tag ( how the world recrod was taken) and the ministers raffle tag (which is a raffle draw to residents) These tags allow the hunter to hunt anywhere in north of the Trans Canada hwy, in any zone from Aug 25th until Dec 15th. The zone (438) surronding the mine has a general season for the general public, from Aug25-Oct 31st, then the draw starts in Nov. The mine holds the largest sheep herd in Alberta, due to the mine re planting the ground after it's been mined. Nutrients from clover and other essential greens are planted.

As far as I know the Metis in Alberta have had their privilages revoked, and are now in a court battle, so these rams are safe from the sustinence hunter for now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom