howd my mormon question get nuked?

300wbymann

i've been at work all day, in fact at work i was just telling them that i'm sure someone could explain the post mordom, mortem, mortom(sp?) saving. so i was looking forward to reading an answer and it's gone?

so how did it get nuked?

and i guess if it offend anyone, maybe someone can send me a p.m. that explains it? ( but i'd rather not get a full sermon, thanks)

again, never wanted to start an arguement, just a couple people trying to settle a gigantic family fight by understanding the way it works-- remember there are people on this site who ARE NOT mormons, and have no clue on the religion. just simply asking a question.

well i'll make it shorter this time, just in case it gets nuked again-

we had a family friend die this last week, he wasn't religious.

while making funeral plans, a family memeber insisted on giving him a mormon funeral so he could still go to heaven.

alot of the family said no, because he wasn't a mormon.

and no-one can figure out how it is possible that if your family gives you a mormon funeral, than it doesn't matter what kinda life you lived you'll still be saved.

and if so, why does anybody even care what kind of religious life they live if your family can just fix it by giving you that religious burial?

>www.mormon.org

dude, i'm just asking a question, i'm not going to go learn the whole religion just for an answer.

"nice post, thanks for sharing"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-11 AT 09:09PM (MST)[p]You're better off posting a threat about the size, shape, color, texture and smell of your last 3 turds than a question about Mormonism.

2 reasons you're better off not asking: 1) you'll get nuked, or2) you'll have to hear the answers.

I find it odd that a Catholicism question would prolly go un-nuked...but whatever, their forums their rules.

You are better off just PM'ing one of our MM brothers that practices that particular religion.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

>well i'll make it shorter this
>time, just in case it
>gets nuked again-
>
>we had a family friend die
>this last week, he wasn't
>religious.
>
>while making funeral plans, a
>family memeber insisted on giving
>him a mormon funeral so
>he could still go to
>heaven.
>
>alot of the family said no,
>because he wasn't a mormon.
>
>
> and no-one can figure out
>how it is possible that
>if your family gives
>you a mormon funeral, than
>it doesn't matter what kinda
>life you lived you'll still
>be saved.
>
>and if so, why does anybody
>even care what kind of
>religious life they live if
>your family can just fix
>it by giving you that
>religious burial?

That "family member" doesn't know a whole lot about their religion. A "Mormon" funeral isn't any different than any other funeral, other than a Bishop or someone like that might conduct or speek or whatever. What kind of funeral you have has no bearing on your post-mortal existance. We do not believe in "death bed" repentance either.

>>www.mormon.org
>
>
>dude, i'm just asking a question,
>i'm not going to go
>learn the whole religion just
>for an answer.
>
>
>"nice post, thanks for sharing"

Sounds like it would do you some good. :)

what about asking a pastor, or preist or someone like that would give a straight answer.

Aaaaaah crap!!! Now the answers been posted, we have to say, "in the name of jesus christ, amen"...

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

someone replyed this morning, before i left to work, and it sounded like they started an answer to the question, which was also the reason i was looking forward to reading it when i got home from work, but unfortunatly, i was in a hurry to leave and figured i could read it tonight.- that didn't pan out!

so , (i might miss this one by a mile) just going off a 30 second glance this morning, something to the effect of if you give them a mormon funeral then they can accept it up there.

again, i wish i could have read more of it, but got called in WAY early.

again, not trying to start any debate, i realize politics, religion and girls can start the biggest arguements.

SO, i'm not asking anyone who isn't a mormon.

just trying to answer a question, maybe it might help fix a giant family feud during a time of death. just simply trying to give 2/3s of the family an answer that the other 1/3 wont even talk about( because everyone is mad)

Sounds to me like the family member that's Mormon, is the kind of Mormon that gives us all a bad name. People like them need to mind their own buisnesS and worry about themselves instead of telling others how to live their lives.
In the name of Jesus Christ amen!

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-11 AT 09:37PM (MST)[p]Nah, bro...its the baptism that they can accept after death, the burial aint got nothing to do with it.

In the name of jeebus smeebus, flagroo

I'll say I know and like and admire a lot of mormons...because of what kind of person they are not because of what religion they are.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

listen, i will be the first to admit, i might have understood it wrong, maybe it was presented worng, whatever- that is what basically leads us to me asking the question.

we are trying to bury the guy, now it's a dissaster! the mormon sister is wanting it to happen the mormon way, so he can change his decision while hes up there.

dont take my words" word for word " i'm in the blind, thats why i'm asking.

i dont really care what or why YOU personally believe it,again, i'm not trying to start a debate. just simply trying to help get answers in a real crummy situation. if someone could give a detailed answer, then if you want delete this post away.

thanks

What kind of funeral a person has.. . . has nothing to do with the postmortal existence. There are a ton of people who have died without funerals. . . . what happens to them?
The only thing that effects an individuals post mortal existence is how they lived their live. . . . what is truly in their hearts.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-11 AT 02:21AM (MST)[p]I aint super religious, but a way a guy is buried aint got a thing to do with it..first time i've ever heard of a "mormom funeral"..Bury the poor guy and tell holier than thou sister to pound sand..You can tell her a mormon told you to do so.

PS is he to be cremated? If so thats why the sister is flipping out.

Straight from the Churchs official handbook of instructions. If you really want to know have a read.

In Lame mans terms. "Mormons" ie The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints teaches no such thing that style or manner of burial or funeral service has any effect or consequence for you after this life or ever.

18.6 Funerals and Other Services at a Time of Death

Church leaders and members seek to make the services associated with a person?s death a dignified, solemn, and spiritual experience for all who participate. These services are generally held under the direction of the bishop.

Services for people who die vary greatly around the world according to religion, culture, tradition, and legal requirements. Even services for Church members vary in different areas of the world. This section sets forth general principles that leaders should follow in funerals or other services for deceased members, regardless of tradition or culture. It also provides guidelines for determining which local traditions associated with death and mourning are appropriate to participate in and which are not.

Death and Mourning

Death is an essential part of Heavenly Father?s plan of salvation (see 2 Nephi 9:6). Each person must experience death in order to receive a perfected, resurrected body. Teaching and testifying about the plan of salvation, particularly the Savior?s Atonement and Resurrection, is an essential purpose of the services associated with a Church member?s death.

Death brings a need to comfort the living. As disciples of Jesus Christ, Church leaders and members ?mourn with those that mourn ? and comfort those that stand in need of comfort? (Mosiah 18:9).

In many cultures, mortician services, viewings of the body, and funerals are customary to help comfort the living and pay respectful tribute to the deceased. Where more appropriate culturally, most of these purposes could be accomplished in a family gathering, a graveside service, or another dignified and solemn setting.

Many religions and cultures have rituals, ordinances, and customs associated with death and mourning for the dead. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ has no such rituals or ordinances. Church leaders should not incorporate rituals of other religions or groups into Church services for deceased members.

Church members should show respect for the rituals and practices of other religions. However, members are counseled not to join in rituals, practices, or traditions that compromise their ability to keep the commandments or to live the principles of the restored gospel.

In connection with mourning and services for people who die, members are counseled to avoid practices or traditions that are so expensive or prolonged that they impose a hardship on the living or impair them from proceeding with their lives. Such practices include expecting excessive travel, wearing special clothing for mourning, making elaborate public announcements, paying money to the family, holding elaborate and prolonged feasts at the funeral, and holding excessive commemorative or anniversary celebrations after the funeral.

Most governments have legal requirements that regulate what occurs when a person dies. Church leaders and members should be aware of these requirements and follow them.

Planning and Assistance

When a member dies, the bishop visits the family to comfort them and offer assistance from the ward. He may ask his counselors to accompany him. The bishop offers help in notifying relatives, friends, and associates of the death. As appropriate, he also offers help in planning the funeral service, preparing a suitable obituary, and notifying newspapers of the death. If there will be a viewing of the body before the funeral service, the obituary should include the times it will begin and end.

The bishop may offer to help make mortuary and cemetery arrangements according to local laws and customs. As needed, he may offer help from the ward in providing local transportation for the family.

The bishop notifies the Melchizedek Priesthood leader who is responsible for the family so he and other brethren, including home teachers, can assist the bereaved family. Such assistance may include dressing the body of a deceased male for burial, safeguarding the home during the funeral, and providing other support (see 7.10.2).

The bishop also notifies the Relief Society president so she and other sisters, including visiting teachers, can assist the family. Such assistance may include dressing the body of a deceased female for burial, helping with flowers, tending small children, safeguarding the home during the funeral, and preparing meals (see 9.10.3).

Viewings (Where Customary)

If a viewing of the body of the deceased is held just prior to the funeral, the bishop should conclude it at least 20 minutes before the funeral begins. After the viewing, a family prayer may be offered if the family desires. This prayer should conclude before the funeral is scheduled to begin so it does not impose on the time of the congregation assembled in the chapel. The casket should be closed before it is moved to the chapel for the funeral service.

Leaders should open the meetinghouse for funeral directors at least one hour before the scheduled times for the viewing and funeral.

Funeral Services

If a funeral for a member is held in a Church building, the bishop conducts it. If a funeral is held in a home, at a mortuary, or at the graveside, the family may ask the bishop to conduct it. A bishop?s counselor may conduct if the bishop is unable to attend.

A funeral conducted by the bishop, whether in a Church building or another location, is a Church meeting and a religious service. It should be a spiritual occasion in addition to a family gathering. The bishop urges members to maintain a spirit of reverence, dignity, and solemnity during a funeral service and at gatherings connected with the service.

When a bishop conducts a funeral, he or one of his counselors oversees the planning of the service. He considers the wishes of the family, but he ensures that the funeral is simple and dignified, with music and brief addresses and sermons centered on the gospel, including the comfort afforded by the Savior?s Atonement and Resurrection. Members of the family should not feel that they are required to speak or otherwise participate in the service.

A member of the stake presidency, an Area Seventy, or a General Authority presides at funeral services he attends. The person who is conducting consults him in advance and recognizes him during the service. The presiding officer should be extended the opportunity to offer closing remarks if he desires.

Video recordings and computer or other electronic presentations should not be used as part of a funeral service. Nor should the service be broadcast on the Internet or in any other way.

Funerals should start on time. As a matter of courtesy to those who attend, services should not be too long. Funerals that last more than one and one-half hours place an undue burden on those attending and participating.

Funerals provide an important opportunity to teach the gospel and testify of the plan of salvation. They also provide an opportunity to pay tribute to the deceased. However, such tributes should not dominate a funeral service. Having large numbers of people share tributes or memories can make a funeral too long and may be inappropriate for a Church service. If family members want an extended time to share such memories, they may consider doing so in a special family gathering, separate from the funeral service.

Funeral services are not normally held on Sunday.

Music

Music for funerals might include prelude music, an opening hymn, special musical selections, a closing hymn, and postlude music. Simple hymns and other songs with gospel messages are most appropriate for these occasions. Opening and closing hymns are usually sung by the congregation.

Burial or Cremation

Where possible, deceased members who were endowed should be buried in temple clothing. Where cultural traditions or burial practices make this inappropriate or difficult, the clothing may be folded and placed next to the body in the casket. Additional instructions on temple burial clothing and dressing the dead are provided in 7.10.2, 9.10.3, and Handbook 1, 3.4.9.

If possible, at least one member of the bishopric accompanies the cortege to the cemetery. If the grave will be dedicated, he consults with the family and asks a Melchizedek Priesthood holder to do so according to the instructions in 20.9. If the family prefers, a graveside prayer rather than a dedicatory prayer may be offered.

The Church does not normally encourage cremation. However, if the body of an endowed member is being cremated, it should be dressed in temple clothing if possible. For information about dedicating the place where the ashes are kept, see 20.9.

Financial Policies

Church members who conduct or take part in funeral services should not accept fees or contributions, whether the service is for a member or a nonmember.

In some cases, bishops can arrange with morticians to provide respectable burial services at cost when expenses are paid from fast-offering funds.

Funeral Services for Nonmembers

Bishops may offer the use of Church meetinghouses for the funeral services of nonmembers. Such services generally may be held in the manner prescribed by the deceased person?s church. However, rituals of other churches or of outside organizations may not be performed in a Church meetinghouse. If the family desires, the service may be conducted by a clergyman of the person?s church, provided it is dignified and appropriate.

Cremation:

Cremation

The Church does not normally encourage cremation. The family of the deceased must decide whether the body should be cremated, taking into account any laws governing burial or cremation. In some countries, the law requires cremation.

That's BS!
the choice of cremation is up to the individual before death.

[font color = red size = red size = 10 face ="face"]TAKE NOTE:MY SIGNATURE WON'T PLEASE EVERYBODY SO DON'T EVEN READ BELOW IF YOU'RE EASILY OFFENDED BY EVERYDAY BS ON MM[/font]

300 - I will send you a PM a little later. I had been working on a reply yesterday but also ran out of time. I understand your question and it is a good one, but deserves a sincere answer, and not necesarily a cut and paste from the Church Handbook of Instructions. There were some great answers on that thread, though, and last I had checked, there wasn't anything too negative. Not sure why it was removed.

HOOK 'EM!

Well Reverend Roy,
the thread did contain the word morman in it,abra-cadabra.............poofffffffff

[font color = red size = red size = 10 face ="face"]TAKE NOTE:MY SIGNATURE WON'T PLEASE EVERYBODY SO DON'T EVEN READ BELOW IF YOU'RE EASILY OFFENDED BY EVERYDAY BS ON MM[/font]

I am guessing it was a combination of two reasons it got nuked. Each time this or a similar topic comes up, there are those who go out of their way to bring up negative, inflammatory remarks. Conversely, there are those who go out of their way to be offended when no offense is intended. Therefore, these posts are doomed from the start.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

300Wby, Im sure Roy will answer your questions.

Hornyman, I'm sorry to hear you are a "Lame man". :) lmao

[Font][Font color = "green"]Here's my
signature. It's green so no one will think I am
actually saying something related to this post.
[font/]

As stated, the family or anyone the deceased had predetermined to make the call. There is no right or wrong way, though as the "manual" encouraged, respect for the law is encouraged. We had a funeral in the community recently where both the Mormon Bishop and local Pastor (family of mixed faiths) helped the family with the planning. Both religious leaders took part in the program and it went very well.

The sister no doubt has concerns about the deceased's salvation. The funeral is not the time or place to address it. Her concerns don't need to be everyone else's. What she is proposing is not founded in doctrine or teachings of the LDS faith.

Quoting the Hand book of instructions is like giving meat before milk. However he will probably get 5 different answers as he asks people. Might as well cut the chase and get it straight.

thanks gb22, and bowtech for the p.m.s- the simple explanations helped clear it up. wether anybody agrees or disagrees, including myself, doesn't matter. that wasn't the intent of my post. just looking to clear it up a little- thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom