How will lack of snow effect the deer and elk?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Question of the day ... So here at my house in northern Utah, my snow blower is dusty and covered with cobwebs. Actually I did use it once this year. My point is, it's by dry and warm. The peaks above my house are almost bald, my daughters snowboard club was canceled for lack of snow.

The question is, while the winter might be mild, will vegetation growth be good or will their summer food dry up and die early?

How's the snow pack in your area?

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

80% here in colorado but our snowiest and wettest months lie ahead. Timely summer rains would increase vegetation as well as a good snowpack! Keep the faith.

I have faith that our precipitation will catch up to normal levels over the next couple of months here in Utah. Some areas of the state are above normal, those of us here along the Wasatch Front know that we are only at about, what, 80-something percent right now..??

I also like the idea of more deer surviving the winter rather than rainfall as an indication of the quality of deer. We've all heard and understand how better vegetation provides better nutrition, which increases antler growth; but with so many deer having a very easy winter this year, I think the number of quality bucks will go up. They may only grow 190" antlers instead of 200" antlers... But I won't complain because at least there IS a 190" buck standing out there, rather than lying dead in 3 foot of snow...

:) :) :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Snowpack Percentages Decline throughout Abnormally Dry January

Denver, CO ? February 5th, 2015 ? Looking back at Colorado?s mountain snowpack over the course of January, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find promising water supply outlooks for spring and summer 2015. At the very end of December a dry spell began that persisted through the entire month of January, with the only relief being a few brief periods of active weather. While actual observed snowpack values in no way decreased over the course of January 2015, the snowpack percents of normal in every basin across the state did decline, in some cases drastically. The North Platte and combined Yampa/White River basins experienced deficits in snowfall which decreased snowpack percents of normal 23 and 26 percentage points respectively over the course of January. The combined Yampa/White watersheds saw the lowest snow accumulation in the calculated period of record back to 1986. According to statewide SNOTEL data, 1986 was the only drier January going back 29 years. January 1992 saw the same snow accumulation totals as this January with an increase of only 1.4 inches of snow water equivalent. ?With nearly one third of the winter remaining, Colorado is running short of time to catch up.? commented Brian Domonkos, Colorado Snow Survey Supervisor. He went on to mention, ?Statewide snowfall would need to amount to 124% of normal from now until midApril to achieve normal snowpack peak levels.?

There are a few bright spots around the state. Watersheds that still retain an above normal snowpack include the Blue River at 122% as well as a few other sub-watersheds within the Colorado and South Platte River basins. Of the major basins, the South Platte, Colorado, and Arkansas all remain near normal at 97%, 95% and 94% respectively.

January is an important month for mountain precipitation over the course of the average year.
The month of April typically provides the most mountain precipitation at 3.6 inches, followed by March at 3.4 inches, and January coming in the third highest at 3.2 inches. This January provided only 1.4 inches of mountain precipitation, 45% of the average. The South Platte saw the greatest precipitation totals compared to normal at 62% of average.

In terms of normal, statewide reservoir storage is only slightly below where it was last month, down one percentage point to 104% of average. The South Platte, combined Yampa, White & North Platte and Colorado River basins are riding higher than normal on carry over storage from the 2014 water year at 119%, 117%, and 116% of average respectively.

As always spring and summer outlooks for streamflow volumes vary greatly across the state, but the bulk are below normal between 60% and 85% of average.

Be sure to refer to the February 1 Colorado Water Supply Outlook found on the Colorado NRCS Snow Survey webpage (link below) for more detailed information.

3663img_20130903_095518_751.jpg

Hope this all turns out as its the latest information I have on Colorado Snowpack.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I see the forcasters say were at 73 percent in No Utah, but I'm not seeing it. You notice news does not talk about it, they don't want to hurt tourism. IMO

Snow-pack and reservoir levels are always a huge concern for humans but moisture at the correct time (before and during vegetation growth period is way more important to wildlife!
This isn't meant to diminish the importance of open water for wildlife.
Zeke

It's hard to say, in northeastern Nevada it's really dry and mild, no frost in the ground and south fork reservoir and wildhorse reservoir are ice free, it's very unusual, and marginal springs are going to dry up. Most of the vegetation around here has evolved with frost and snow cover much of winter.

Where I live on Wyoming the snow pack up high is in ok shape and the mild winter seems good for most wildlife, at least for the short term.

We will see, but it's unusual and I wonder about the impacts to vegetation in the lower elevations, especially over the long term.

Dry and mild in SW highlands NM. The snows we did get melted in with rain and warm days. teens in morning and 60's in daytime.
Some snowpack in Gila,was just thru.Below normal,maybe 60%.
I'll check my weather data base,cocorahs.

A good snowpack leads to a good summer range for animals. Dry the summer range out and we'll see concentrated animals and deteriorated range conditions. This tends to hold true even in the lower elevation migratory units where summer range is maybe at 8k feet compared to 10k feet. What the trends have shown is typically if the high country has a fairly normal season then the lower elevations do as well. Not always the case though. Right now the concern is the early season melt off due to the unseasonably warm temps as we are seeing run off happening now and the snow line is receeding. At this rate the growing season will be short and in my part of the world possibly only a few weeks. Where as the high country growing season might loose a month maybe more if this trend continues. A couple of good snows could change all this and March can bring some big ones. Lets keep our fingers crossed...

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

We westerners always seem to be on the precipitation roller coaster. I hate seeing bare ridges on the slopes this time of year but, I would hate to have the storms and cold that has gone East even more. Severe winters wipe out wildlife.
It seems the lack of water this time of year is way more critical to us than our furry friends. My worry is, if we don't get going with some good storms the next few months, what vegetation we do have is apt to get burnt up in wild fires.

We can only keep our fingers crossed!

Gonna be the 1st time in History the DWR will Boast the Herds are not doing Well do to a "Too Easy of a Winter"!:D

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

Well littlebig!

By far the Warmest!

Least amount a Snow I ever seen on the Uinta's!

Ballies are Damn Near Bare!

50's & 60's in the Basin in February?

Global Warming Finally Hit!

Seriously though!

They keep saying: Based on a 20 year Average!

Well!

The Last 20 years has SUCKED!

As I see it, spring and summer rain will grow browse and grasses but it won't put water in the reservoirs for hay and corn.

Snow pack fills reservoirs and grows grain, rain grows browse and grass for deer and elk.

It's still too early to know about this year's spring and summer rain, so early to predict.

While it's not looking likely, it could still dump 6 feet of snow on us and destroy our deer. At least they're still strong and may have extra fat to weather a late spring dump.

Remember how our summer and early fall made us think we were in for an early wet winter, how quickly that turned around!

DC

With water content in the Ground I can't help but Think it's gonna be Bad if We don't get some Moisture & a Bunch of it!

How bout Plants & Trees Blooming way sooner than Normal and as Good as it seems Tell me things Ain't gonna get Froze Hard yet!

Winter snow has very little impact on grass and forb growth. Spring rains and snow is what will matter.

Mid to late summer rains don't do much either as most grasses and forbs have already done their thing. Although if the Fall goes right you will see some regrowth then that late summer rains would help.

When spring and summer comes is always different for different years. And of course spring comes sooner at lower elevations.

The monsoons brings on the growth here in SW NM. Late, if there is no spring rains like the last 5yrs....but winter isn't over and ground is moist/freezing still. Rain snow in forcast...

Winter snow is What starts the green stuff to grow in the spring, melting snow is known as ground water for the plants to start growing, THE spring and summer rains are what keeps the plants growing and green and good for the animals, DRY out plants doesn't help the young of the year much.
Take pheasants if you don't have green plants you don't have bugs NO bugs means less young birds make it to hunting season.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

In Wyoming, March, April, and May are the three most important months for mountain snowpack. So it remains to be seen how it will all turn out.

Winter range deer are in excellent condition. There is already some movement towards spring/summer ranges due to the unseasonable weather. Hopefully the mild winter will translate into good antler growth.

Reservoirs are still more full than usual for late February due to good moisture and snowpack the last couple of years. Late summer and early fall rains and snows have been a Godsend here the last 2 years. To an extent that also translates into decent ground moisture carryover for spring and early summer vegetation growth. That being said, we definitely need some moisture to keep things that way!

My prediction is that antler growth will be good this year based on the excellent condition of the deer and elk at the present time.

Gator,

Ditto for chukar.

But I'm optimistic. Several decent rains in March, April and May won't fill reservors, but will be great for upland game. And I believe big game as well. I, personally, don't subscribe to the snowpack therory.

Nice snow dance founder! It's been winter here ever since u started this thread. 6-10" predicted for this wknd. I'm sure most basins are at or above 100% here in colorado. The sw was spose to get up to 3 ft last wknd they were lagging but I'm sure that squared em.

Another BIG snow storm squaring up over central/sothern Utah..

Just what the doctor ordered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

What matters is total water. Not snow

So if it all melted today...and we were at 0% of average for this time of year......the water would be in the reservoirs.....early....but there.

Also be careful what you call "normal" and "average"

This weather is "normal" it just isn't average. However these highs and lows are normal....and make up the average.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

The last round missed SW NM for the most part. Snowpack in Gila is 30-40%. We have gotten some snow/rain,but not what Flagstaff or northern NM has.
It's NM,only March and it's 7am.
We could be under a couple ft later today.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom