How to preserve velvet?

That stuff can be dangerous,the best way is to freeze until you get home but that isn't always possible.talk to your taxidermist and let him explain how to or follow some the ways that guys have used before.I know guys that have put in freezer for a year and it stayed on other s have it freeze dried.It depends alot on what stage it's in

If you use formaldayde there is absolutely NO reason to inject it!!
If you have ever gotten that nasty stuff on your skin you'll now how fast and deep it absorbs.
Use a good heavy rubber glove and just rub it into the velvet.
It's safer and better than injecting it.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

Start by making small cuts at the tops of each tine. Turn the antlers upside down and feel around for the veins. Inject them with formaldayde (or some other preserver). Once you are pumping out only what you are pumping in, you are done. That means you need to get all the blood out of the veins and replace it with formaldayde. You can do this in the field and that give you way more time to get to the taxidermist.

2Pointer
www.jglowblinds.com

I use denatured alcohol to perserve mine. You can get it at any hardware store. Grab a spray bottle, hang the horns upside down an spray once or twice a day for a couple of days. Works great! I will try to get a pic of the buck I did 3 years ago...it looks similar to the way it looked when I killed it.

I have just got a needle and poked them everywhere on antler especially soft spots,But then again all my bigger deer i have had enjected.But works pretty good.try it on smaller antlers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom