How to find cancellation hunts?

O

Oregonbowhunter

I would love to go sheep hunting someday, mostly for either stones or dalls but the price is a little rich for my blood. The way they are being priced right now, increasing a thousand bucks or more every season, I don't know if I could ever save that much! But I hear you can get a good deal on cancellation hunts. However I don't ever see them listed on outfitter websites. So how can you find them?

Cancellation hunts can be very scary. I purchased one and got burned and some of my friends purchased them as well and they all got burned. I am not a big fan of these and won't do it again. Usually there is very little time for research and it is so important. I research, research and research a little more. I am not saying they are all bad just be very very careful. The ones that I have done the research and not made a rushed decision have turned out to be the trips of a lifetime in most regards. Good luck with your search.

I have never actually been on a cancellation sheep hunt, but a couple of my friends have and had great hunts at a discount. I think the only way to do it right, however, is to research and find top notch outfitters you would like to go with. Then ask them to put you on a cancellation list. Then you have to be prepared every fall to get a call, sometimes at the last minute to go. Usually a cancellation hunt is a hunt someone else booked and put down a deposit on, then for some reason were not able to go. You would ususally pay the difference between their deposit and what the hunt costs.
The thing is you never know if you will get to go or not, and you may never get a call. Good luck

You have to be careful. Sometimes low quality hunts are sold as "cancellation" hunts. I'd make sure I was 100% confident on the outfitter before I went on a cancellation. Saving 25% on an expensive hunt is nothing if the hunt stinks.

Upuley is correct. Some shady outfitters use '' cancellation hunts'' as a marketing tool. They aren't cancellation hunts at all, just hunts they couldn't fill. I'm sure there are some legit ones but be careful !! C.C.

I picked up a cancel combo deer/elk hunt two years ago. The key for me was using an established broker like BMOA. It was one of the best hunts I've ever been on. I had another hunt booked through them last year and ended up drawing an unexpected tag in Colorado. Since they overlapped, I had to cancel the cancellation hunt. Research and phone calls are the key...

I did a CO Mule deer cancellation hunt sent out by huntinfool and it was a great hunt. I ended up shooting a 170" on day four, actually had passed a couple 170 bucks earlier, couldn't pass another 170 for my first mule deer. Great hunt, great outfitter, great guides, and was treated just like anybody else in camp.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom