How to estimate wind speed

yes use a wind meter. Or just guess

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

You ever heard of a anemometer?

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Do a web search on "estimating wind speed" and you should get some answers and save us some typing. Another important factor besides the speed is the direction of the wind.

RELH

Wow, definitely feeling the love here :-(

I did a google search and found a bunch of crap all over the place. I hoped someone here would give me something a little more "tried and true."

I know of wind meters (actually called anemometer) but I again hoped that someone could provide something like, "If your puff of chalk dust floats 5 feet away from you in 1 second the wind is going 5 mph." Or something like that.

Just guessing could mean being off by 10+ inches on a 400 yard shot for a barely imperceptible breeze.

Anyone else want to chime in...hopefully taking it up a notch or two?

I think you owe it to the animal to buy the 40 dollar meter and taking the guess work out of it. Specially if your going to make longer shots where its gonna matter. Where's the ethic police? Thats like saying I only have three pins on my sight but how do I take a 80 yard shot? Well there is ways of getting close but imo not close enough. Just better to by the device and save your self the headache. just my opinion of course!

If you are not good at estimating and do not want to buy the wind meter, you should not take the shot.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-13 AT 01:36AM (MST)[p] on "accuratershooter.com" they have a great article/ vid for fleid est wind speed..also look on "youtube" ..Danny

Ya!

I'll Chime in!

Ain't nobody on Earth ever gonna outguess Mother Nature!:D

Just because you have a Wind Reading from where you are shootin from doesn't mean it's the same throughout Bullet travel!

Know what I mean?

Shoot something with a Heavier Slug/Bullet = less wind Drift!

GAWD I can't wait for the Heat Seeking or Lazer Rounds to come out!:D:D:D

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Also watch the one for incline shooting it will help ya also.
But the wind meter is the first step in getting to be able to judge the wind it the same as archer judging the distance then ranging it with range finder to see if he is right or wrong.
I'm happy that you will now know what to buy since you know the name of it. LOL

You guess 10 mph wind and it 14, miss or bad hit, see where this is going. Wind meter is your friend.

Never use fifty cent words when a penny word will get the job done.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom