How to cook a pheasent?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Well, Darn if i didn't take the last pheasent out the freezer and cook it up for dinner tonight.

I pieced it up, chicken style, and browned the legs and back parts a bit in bacon grease before adding the celery, garlic, and onion. Covered and turned the heat down to let simmer for 10 minutes or so and drained off most the grease.

Then i added the boned out breasts to the mix, 5-6 sliced mushrooms on top, and a scosh of water, covered and raised the temp until steam was rolling out the sides of the lid, reduced heat down low, another 10 minutes. done deal.

Pretty darn good stuff i must say but aside from small differences, that's the only way i ever do it. Got to be some other ways to cook these most awsome birds. Any suggestions?

Pull the meat off the breast. Put in a cake pan with broth, cover with biscuits. Cook in the oven 30 minutes or so. Turns
out like gravy and biscuits.
My favorite is cut into strips, roll in Louisiana fish fry,
and deep fat fry it.

I like to rub down with a little fresh ground sea salt, fresh pepper, minced garlic and a touch of rosemary. Then sear in hot olive oil on medium high. Comes out nice and juicy.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-08 AT 09:18AM (MST)[p]i never had any luck frying those birds, too tuff, am i cooking it to fast on high or ?...

jdb, Wow, 2 great ideas. The biscuts one is way different but gotta be a nice tasty dish.

hunt, Sea salt? Not sure, is that different? thought all salt was from the sea. Anyway, Sounds sooo good but i'm out, gonna have to wait until next season to try it out.

manny, Not sure what to say, maybe your cooking it too much. I kinda get tired of the way i cook mine but can't say that i've ever had a bad one. I'll take pheasent over any other bird except maybe chucker. As with all wild game, you do need to want it juicy, otherwise it can get pretty blah.

Thanks to all! joey

Where's Chef - I GUARANTEE he has more than a few great recipes for pheasant.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Sage, much of the "table salt" comes from underground mines and doesn't have near the good flavor as sea salt that you have to grind yourself. I am going to try your recipe. any particular spice you use?

Only suggestion is to add a few tablespoons of lemon juice when 1st cooking. Remember, always use a lid on frying pan to keep from drying out and always have a source of moisture also to keep from dying out and being tough.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Hunt, i didn't dust the parts with flour as i usually do cause i'm on Atkins, but i would do that and i like to add a little paprika and lemon peper. Seems like the breast pieces and shrooms cook much faster so that's why the two stages, you're the one controling the heat so use your own time line so all the pieces are done at the same time. i sometimes sub a scosh of white wine instead of the water for the final poaching... poaching?, i didn't do it!

Kibuc, Thanks for the tip, a good one no doubt!

I like to take the breast meat, split each breast lengthwise and tenderize (just a little-more to make the meat even). Then take a little salt, pepper and garlic powder, a little bit of mustard, and some ham & swiss cheese. roll it up and use some toothpicks to put it together. Flour and brown in a skillet, throw in the oven for 15 or 20 minutes and you have some good pheasant cordon blue. Works with grouse and partridge also.

I like to roast the legs in hot wing sauce and make hot pheasant legs.

Well, if you have to eat pheasants.....bone it out completly and use it for spaghetti sauce. Chicken is better in every regard.....IMHO

Idhunters, Thanks for a couple more awsome ways to cook them birds. Sounds delishious!

Nickman, To each his own. I much prefer a bird that i hunted, fully cleaned, and kept iced before putting it in the freezer or on the table. Chicken is good, i probably eat too much of it, but the flavor, memories, and the satisfaction of a beautiful rooster pheasent well taken, really spices up a meal. BTW, I don't HAVE to eat anything i don't want to...and i don't.

I noticed that some of you guys only refer to the breasts, others included the legs. I usually make the time to at least, skin the whole bird. It really doesn't take all that much time and there is some of the best tasting bits of meat in the nooks and crannies on the birds back. If i have the time, i'll pluck em. No Wise Cracks Please! lol

joey

Those sound like some good recipes. For other good pheasant recipes, go to www.huntfishcook.com Scott Leyseth is a friend, and he's built a heck of a career as one of the preeminent wild game chefs in the country. He's got a bunch of pheasant recipes on his website.

Now, since it's April, most of you are probably out of pheasants to eat, but...IT'S TURKEY SEASON! Try these recipes that our members have posted with your wild turkey. I'll be cooking up a big breast from an old tom tonight, using one of these recipes.

There's some good sounding stuff on here.

I've never had a problem with a bird drying out except for old birds. Searing both sides to seal in the juice and then turning down the heat just a bit works for me.

Dont forget the Croc Pot (slowcooker)...

With a family size croc pot (6 quart)...

Rub whole bird w/ garlic salt,seasoned salt and pepper then place into croc pot.

Then add chunks of potato,celery and carrots and about 8 cloves of garlic (I like garlic)

Add one small can of chicken broth and the same amount of white wine.

Cover and cook on low for 6+ hours or until meat tears away from bone easily...It will me very moist and tasty..

I have also done this with chickens,game hens and small young turkeys.All are great tasting this way...

horsepoop.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom