How spoiled do you like your venison??

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
How spoiled do you like your venison. All 25 pounds of it. Played leap frog with this guy from just south of Shasta to southern Redding. 102 degrees in Redding and mid to high 90’s from Shasta south. No wonder why hunters get a bad rap. 🤮🤮🤮
IMG_8264.jpeg

I’ve eaten it where the rib cage was gray/green with mold. The quarters were too, we cut a layer about 1/4 inch deep off the quarters and fried it up.

The first meal was a little worrysome but when we woke up without a belly ache, the next morning, we went ahead and eat on it the rest of the week.

However, it had been hanging out in a cool/cold barn for 3 weeks and never got hot, like you’re taking about. As a kid growing up, we never had electricity so we hung all our meat, wild and domestic, (mostly domestic) all through the late fall and winter, wrapped in a canvas tarp and hung in the cottonwoods. Never a problem but……… eating spoiled meat…….. that’s a whole different deal. Wouldn’t do it LIK2

Last edited:
I’ve eaten it where the rib cage was gray/green with mold.
If you catch it early and it's not too bad you can wipe it down with vinegar and get rid of it.

I took a deer into a meat market to hang and while the butcher was writing me a receipt a guy brought one it that looked like this one in the photo. The weather was hot. The butcher told him to take it to the dump.

The JOKER Will Be The First To Tell Everybody How Bad Deer Meat Is!
I never hunted elk for years for the same reason. When I was young my dad would get elk from guys at work who hunted out of state. It tasted like crap. Same for Antelope. Until I shot and butchered my own I did not realize what I was missing. I just took it for granted that people knew basic field care.

I'm surprised the tag stayed on that monster!

I do not care much about someone seeing a dead deer and having a problem with hunters about it. I am very discreet with the animals I kill and haul but don't really care what others do in that regard. But the wanton waste of that deer in that heat is disgusting.

I lost a whole deer one time that I thought I did everything right with. It was hot but he hung in the shade near a creek. I think it was 2 days. Took the deer home and straight into a cold room of 35 to 40 degrees. Deer didn't stink until I cut into it a day or two later. And it was stinky. I had treated numerous blacktails the same with great success.

I called a friend who had two bucks hanging in the same tree. He checked his and said they were fine. I told him to cut into them. Same deal...rotten. Only bucks he ever lost as well.

The only thing we could come up with was there was typically a better breeze through the camp than this trip and the nights were a few degrees warmer.

I’ve always skinned and hung or put in a cooler, but there is a group that is from the upper Midwest that keep the hide on their animals and they will swear by it . Stand By!

Hide On Is gonna Keep Them From Cooling Out Quicker!

If it's Cold Enough I Guess HIDE ON-HIDE OFF Wouldn't Matter!

If It Isn't Cool/Cold Enough To Hang In A Tree!

They Need To Be Skinned ASAP!

They Need To Cool As Much As They Can Before Throwing Them In To An Enclosed Type Of Cooler!

Never Throw WARM Meat In To A Sealed Cooler!

Anybody Got A Picture Of The Rig That's Pulling the HEAVY Load?

I'd Like To See If it's Nilly PROUDLY SPORTIN His PISSCUTTER!:D

(((RAZZIN Ya Nilly!:D:D:D)))

I'm not eating rotten meat I don't care how it tastes. this is why I won't eat anything from anyone I don't know well.
I don’t like to eat anything from anybody that I don’t know processes their own game. I refuse to eat anything from a processor. You don’t know what the hell you’re gonna get or how it was taken care of.

I worked in my dad's locker plant when I was a kid. My job in the fall was skinning the deer hunters brought in. It was really unbelievable to see the horrible condition of some of the animals some guys showed up with. Those were the first to complain about meat loss in processing because we trimmed off the dirt, pine needles and spoiled bloodshot meat.

My first thought was I hope a kid killed that little thing as a first buck. But then I thought better of it and I hope not. What a terrible experience that will turn out to be for an example of how to be a hunter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom